Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Fixed my car today, replaced radiator and a few other things while I was there so should be good to go now.

Nice looking cells out west, hoping there would be something a bit closer to Melb tonight but looks like it will be staying further north if it continues to go into the night. Will see what happens later on.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Really developing to my W-SW, strong development might be getting a second wind on the sth portion of that band around Ararat. Actually starting to look more exciting for my area now, hoping for some lightning after dark. :)

Rhino. :) :)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The cirrus and middle level cloud from the storm complex in the west is extending through to here so it is a pretty decent area of storms. Ground finally starting to dry out here. As much as I, like most of us, love a good storm it is probably a good thing that we are not getting them. 27C here today but parts of the ground are still very damp.

With a huge system almost an inevitability mid week there is no need for torrential rain from storms in the meantime. Still, nature will just do what it does regardless. ;)

90% of the garden is looking fantastic, as good as it has in about 15 years. The other 10% is rotting away. :x
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Well cloud development is subsiding now just when it looked great, still looks ok just not as good as 30 mins ago. :(

Rhino. :) :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

That thunderstorm over the Beaufort region has since collapsed as heating is easing.

Well bit of a bust day for the NE of the state but still plenty of great things around, good structure of the Echuca complex and Omeo complex and at times the storms struggling to get going over the C ranges. Was going to head west with Loo but chose the NE. Just a strange old day really.

Anvil cirrus is here from the NW!!

What bizarre weather!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

MichaelKeene wrote:Yeah, i've been watching and drooling over that storm west of Beaufort. Its just ticked past the 2hour mark now and still going,though not as strong as it was on radar. The question is, is anybody chasing it? Meso and Rikki Pool have been rather quiet in the last couple of hours. Its not like its that far from Bendigo, i'm hoping atleast one of them are on it, or maybe the Trentham crew or Karl? Even that mass of storms which occured just north of the current supercell earlier in the afternoon would've been nice to be on! I was tempted to chase today, but I never intended to go anywhere near the current cells, maybe echuca at best ( its difficult when you live in coastal NSW)
Nah, I didn't get on to it. Went north instead, out towards St Arnaud. And while I managed to track the storm down, it just confirmed to me why I said I wouldn't chase out that way anymore - the terrain sucks. Could see some nice lowerings, but they were always either obscured by trees or mountains. Gave up on it after an hour or so. Plenty of convection still around on the way home, doesn't look like anything will come of it tho.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Looked fantastic when I got back from Mel 3pm, big storm out Bairsndale way and others brewing bitime locally, 32C. Then the sea breeze arrived, end of story.
Tempest
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Tempest »

What a surreal looking sunset we have out there! Are those arcs of pink through the sky the remnants of the supercell anvil? Hope someone captured it.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Storms in NW Vic atm are drifting N/NE wards this evening. Amazing to me after a week of SW movers!!!!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yeah it's amazing Petros ... SW movement the other day, ESE movement yesterday ... now ENE movement today, and NNE movement in the northwest tonight. Steering is all over the shop and will be the same tomorrow. Will check the details tomorrow morning closer, but slow movers tomorrow again and mostly focused out over the western districts.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Keep an eye on a cluster of very nasty storms in the SW of the state at the moment.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Karl Lijnders wrote:Keep an eye on a cluster of very nasty storms in the SW of the state at the moment.
Good pick up Karl, I don't think the BOM have even noticed yet!...interestingly these storms are pushing along after nightfall.
Last edited by I_Love_Storms on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Can you imagine Twisters posting grammar if he was home atm to describe a huge mass of storms arriving from ...... due SOUTH!
G
GregSorenson2
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by GregSorenson2 »

Stopped at Deniliquin for the night. Pretty good avo considering i have been just passing through. I caught the pulsey cells on the Balranald to Hay road, and hooked south to enjoy the spectacular flood plains that is currently brimming with life atm. Aquatic birds of all kinds, just an amazing sight.

Convection today struggled with the warm uppers and in with the wind profiles in some cases one cell's anvil would inhibit heating in anything to it's SE, which hurt any proper convergence. I was a fair way north though, so perhaps any seas breeze would have struggled to get this far north today.

And going by the tracker maybe i should have stayed in Mildura tonight.....:)
Some pics a little later.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Not just pushing on, they developed an hour ago..interesting times we are in!
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Mildura has had 35mm in 1 hour. Massive, Dean will be pleased!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

I don't think he will be pleased as he's in Melb right now I think? lol

Very slow moving cell though, great for getting into position for good lightning shots.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

AUS_Twisted wrote:I don't think he will be pleased as he's in Melb right now I think? lol

Very slow moving cell though, great for getting into position for good lightning shots.
Yeah he is out of town, but he will be happy with some more rain up there.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Up to 40mm now with 50mm looking a chance!!

Going to be some flooding around for sure.

Dunkeld stuff dying away.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Why issue a warning when 2 times the monthly rain has fallen in the Mildura areas and still coming down.... :?

50mm there and still raining!