Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2010

Post by wolfcat »

apocalypse wrote:You would think that after the Toowoomba floods and seeing just what flood water can do, people would actually get a bit of common sense.
You'd think... but while I was taking the submerged car shot I saw someone try and drive through the water by Caulfield in a two wheel drive...

There were people waist deep in water trying to get another car out.... the driver just wasn't paying attention...
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Moved to images thread.
Last edited by schitzengiggles on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

OMG times ten, this event is out of this world I dont think we have EVER seen a rain band stall along the Murray for 24 hours but it has and should for least another 6-12 hours

Got off the Phone to Mum and she said much of the town is under, block after block there are still under water, many sand bagged homes,
WE got flooded in our front lounge and back room, back yard is still under and its still pouring rain, many folk trapped in there house as water has completely covered many of the main roads.
Looks like they could see another 6+ hours of rain
Recorded 184mm at home so far :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o RECORD by 100mm+

Mildura airport had 147mm to 9am
28mm since 9am
Total of 175mm

Seems most in town have had 150-200mm and still coming down, some look to get close to a years rain in 36 hours this is beyond anything that we have ever seen up there in history

This is the 4th month in a row above 100mm after never having more than 2 in a row in 120 years

Since November first we have had 546mm, Year avg is about 285mm :o :o :o

What an event many burbs in Melb also saw 100mm+ which is just nuts even 80mm in the city was 30mm out but those storms were unreal at how heavy they were
Also big 100mm falls in the NE and think they will see another round of 100mm falls up there today and tonight
This rain band up north is not moving its unreal NEVER seen anything like it rain is just training over the same area for hours its like what you see in QlD

Regards to MIldura radar its the Adel radar that is showing all the yellow to the NW of Renmark, but its still heavy Yunta has had 76mm on top of there 140mm to 9am so expect huge flooding up that way as well.

Cant see more for here rest of today, expect 10-15mm maybe think the big falls today will be north and east of here Still Lots of rain to fall across victoria
Now Living in Wet QLD
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

Hey all.
I'm new to the forums and located in Warragul, Vic.
Apparently last night there was a guy Wakeboarding at the skatepark... :/

It's so insane.

I am meant to be going to an event my work was given tickets to, tonight...And I'm meant to be driving a few of us.
I was wondering, how advisable this is. I can't get a hold of anyone from work, either. :( But from what I understand I will be driving around a lot of trees to get there.

Frankly, I'm not thinking it's all that smart. But, again, I can't get a hold of anyone. Uff.

Anyone know how much we're expecting tonight?
I'm also worried about the drive home!!

Another friend wanted to go to Dandenong tomorrow too, but I'm guess that's also not so wise, right? :(
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

It might help knowing roughly where you have to drive to.
f
firestorm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by firestorm »

Wow such crazy weather but all quiet down here nothing in the guage yesterday and 1mm today but i did spend the evening at my girlfriend work in torquay which cope about 40mm in 20min the roof collasped and water came in every door ankle deep water through the whole building crazy :o luckly see was on double time to help clean the place up :D
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

I stuck the standard plastic bucket out last night at 10 for fun, caught three inches to 9am! which is pretty impressive. It was a similar event to 74 or was it 76 when Van Der Hum won the cup. Yorta see the bay, looks like the mekong delta.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

schitzengiggles wrote:It might help knowing roughly where you have to drive to.
Lardner Park, or thereabouts.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Still raining here solidly, havent checked the rain guage since 10:30 this morning. How much more should I expect here?
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

blackmamba wrote:
Google maps has no idea where Lardner Park is, but there's a Lardner to the S of Warragul. It doesn't look to be a heavily treed area, and AFAIK you didn't experience the mental rain that Melbourne got overnight, what's more there's several roads in/out. Go for it, just be careful.

As for Dandenong, check the Vicroads link that's been mentioned several times.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

schitzengiggles wrote:
blackmamba wrote:
Google maps has no idea where Lardner Park is, but there's a Lardner to the S of Warragul. It doesn't look to be a heavily treed area, and AFAIK you didn't experience the mental rain that Melbourne got overnight, what's more there's several roads in/out. Go for it, just be careful.

As for Dandenong, check the Vicroads link that's been mentioned several times.
I would have called it mental in West Gippsland, but hvae little to no doubt other places would have been a lot worse. Warragul's CBD did flood, and it seems to me they're looking at more seeing as though they are placing sandbags all through town as we speak. :)
Which I guess is playing a big part in my worry...

Good idea with the VicRoads link. :) Will do this.
Lardner's Park is between Warragul and Drouin, not in Lardner.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

That rain band to the west of melbourne looks to have broken up a little, which is good news. For some reason, I so desperately want another 50mm this month.but maybe later on, not today
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

stevco123 wrote:That rain band to the west of melbourne looks to have broken up a little, which is good news. For some reason, I so desperately want another 50mm this month.but maybe later on, not today
I'm doubtful we'll see much more here. I think it'll go up north. But I'm no expert. Would love to hear a few of their comments about the rest of today's potential or lack of.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Few showers I can only see for Melbourne Tonight now as cooler drier air has started to move in may see some drizzle as well in the morning but I don't expect much more for Melbourne, the North and NE should get alot more
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

HarleyB wrote:Still raining here solidly, havent checked the rain guage since 10:30 this morning. How much more should I expect here?
Harley, from the radar, I am just about finished - you will follow fairly soon I would think.
Peter
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

If I see anymore comments regarding to Karls rainfall or anything related to that whether its true or not the comments will be automatically deleted so the discussion ENDS HERE, as Jake said earlier lets get back top the topic which is breaking weather discussion anything on that other topic will be deleted of what we all think about a particular members rainfall will be deleted from this point onwards
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Recent comments flaring the debate again have been deleted from both sides of the fence, no need to go there anymore. Subject closed
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

There is going to be significant problems for the Campaspe River and towns along it. Barnadown, which is downstream of Eppalock, is already in moderate level with Eppalock not even in minor flood yet. Full details can be seen here, thanks to the BOM: http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/flood/north_central.shtml

I also have a question. Having said the above, should I be worried for Echuca and Rochester? Will it get near as high as a couple of weeks ago?
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Just got back from photographing around the Scotchmans Creek area. I've never seen the water so high over 6 hours AFTER it stopped raining.

There are flattened plants, uprooted trees, clogged fences with debri which have pushed them over, a broken bridge, a tree on a house and a fence (belonging to Hubby's Uncle) that has completely moved off it's bottom plinth. Photos at some stage in the other thread...
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Storms in the CBD i took:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go the bombersss!