Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Extended Heatwave - Jan 13 2014 - Jan 18 2014

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Extended Heatwave Victoria Jan 13 2014 Onwards

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:14 am wrote:
hillybilly wrote:
I was just making comparisons with January 1959 which saw a somewhat comparable event with very similar temps to those forecast currently. I noticed that there were some big storms on the central and eastern ranges during that event, some which delivered more than 25mm of rain on days above 40C maximum.
In terms of event for Victoria, the "standout" heatwaves are 1939, 1959 and 2009. This one may well come in fourth.. Guess one always hope that things turn out cooler, but with 850Ts in the mid 20s for 4 days, hard to see this one not being "up there".

GFS, ACCESS and EC still showing showers Wednesday/Thursday/Friday so fingers crossed for a bit of temporary relief. I recall a few times when we've had rain on very hot days, including one with a mid arvo hail storm on a 42C day so it can happen.

Calm here ATM and 26C degrees. House is 22C... Goes to show the value of insulation ( have a 8 star house).
8 star insulation seems a very sensible investment right now hillybilly! Would it be possible to post Melb. temp sequence for those heatwaves, or a link to the same? Would be handy to see the current heatwave in the historical context.

Hard to believe we're in with a chance for a shower tomorrow but it seems likely. What I wouldn't give for a hailstorm! The green grass in my paddocks is somehow hanging on so a little drink might just see it through the week. 34 C with a light/moderate northerly here.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Emergency Warning

Issued For: Little River, Rothwell
Fire Origin: LITTLE RIVER
Incident Name: EDGARS RD CONTROL
Issued: 14/01/14 12:36 PM

This is an upgraded Emergency Warning issued by Country Fire Authority for Little River, Rothwell.

The LITTLE RIVER grassfire is currently not yet under control.

Firefighters have been unable to stop the fire and it and is moving towards Little River.

It is now travelling in a southerly direction from Edgars Rd towards Little River.
L
Lara_Hunter
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lara_Hunter »

Bloody fires, yesterday we had the Trawalla fire just south of our construction site and now got one 9km north of home and I am over here. Messages have been sent out to a few friends so fingers crossed this one is controlled and quick. Temps in Geelong already pushing 43
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

39 outside here and gusting to 60k. CFA Bloke and Livinia said there wouldnt be any wind today. I knew there would be, everyone did, very strange forecast.

Plenty of smoke visible across the bay toward Geelong.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Not sure how they didn't know about the wind. Models have been indicating for four-five days that the upper profile would be relatively gusty and it only had to mix down, which under today's circumstances wasn't hard. 40 degrees here at the moment.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

44.2 in Adelaide. The airmass is hotter than what BOM has predicted so far for Adelaide. Wonder what will happen here, maybe the models have even struggled with it a bit?
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Wilson Prom - currently 22.4c.

At the other extreme - 45c at Hopetoun.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

It has hit 44 at Avalon and Geelong, that is seriously hot, only 2pm as well, I wonder if it will peak higher later?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Sitting on 39.6 here- one of the last places in the Metro area to stay below 40 along with Coldstream (excluding the ranges). I'm sure that will change in the next few minutes.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

It is 46.6 under the back verandah and courtyard that is a poorly designed concrete heat sink and 42.5 on the proper thermometer in the shade in the back yard at carrum. Not many at the beach, but that will change after tea.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

42c here in highett now
Interestingly the temperature at Cape Otway fell with the southerly
however is now on the rise again. Very shallow
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

WS 41.9 under shaded carport
25.5 inside with Evap on.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

There is a ton of lightning going off in SA now.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe something we can look forward to tomorrow... probably a pain for fires though, can't see much rain falling.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Some small cumulus is building to the NW of us. Temps may peak shortly in the North-West. 45.1 is the highest temp in the state so far at Hopetoun, Charlton and Longerenong, so a very widespread area of extreme heat. Avalon up to 44.5 at 1:49, wow!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

by HarleyB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Some small cumulus is building to the NW of us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, in just the last 2 hours the visible satellite image has rapidly gone from completely clear, to fields of cumulus over the whole western half of the state. Looks like many of us from Central westwards will see cloud increasing from now on.
Just hit 37c here on the hill, still 5c short of Black Saturday and nowhere near as windy, so no comparison really, but still bl@@dy hot!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Adelaide hit 45.1 now dropped to 42. 44.7 in Avalon hottest here in metro areas...
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Still working away here in the City, I have just noticed back home in Wyndham Vale/Werribee have broken 45c mark. Holy Moly!
http://weather.gkt.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Very interested in that narrow white line moving just past Ballarat towards the city. It seems to be the edge of the band of cloud but the DP and humidity in Ballarat as well as places further west seem to have dropped rather sharply since it would have gone through, as well as increasing temperatures. Anyway, thermometer showing 40.8 here, still not as hot as that day in December, but hot enough for sure.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Hit 41.3ºC now dropped to 37º. Temps dropping in some parts of Melb as well.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Has hit 40.7c on my PWS.
A couple of showers have developed in the Mallee good chance of a storm up there later.