Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain event - 16th-20th Dec 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain event - 16th-20th Dec 2011

Post by SC. »

Still some instability about but the temps here have dropped, so only expecting some scattered storms around Melb. Probably more interested in the the amount of overnight rainfall. 5-10mm expected. Although tomorrow is another ballgame, storm wise.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

That 2nd cell which has again popped up near Kangaroo Ground-Warrandyte is now dropping a bit of rain here, doesn't seem as heavy as the radar would suggest - but heavy enough to have the better half asking about bringing the washing in :)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Expecting 30-50mm here from Sunday into Monday!! Going to be an interesting period. Generally falls widespread of 15-25mm across Victoria though, heaviest in the north and west. Should be an active day of thunderstorms tomorrow in theory for particularly the west, though cloud may be the restricting factor once again. So the rain will extend eastwards from the west tomorrow!

Quite a bit of shower and thunderstorm activity north of Colac at the moment, might get a rumble tonight even.

Don't forget all the AWF forecasts here: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.com/main.html (mind my coughing fit in the audio briefing!!)
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

we had a teasing shower @ 5pm pretty heavy but nothing in the gauge here. Bug city outside and man the mozzies!!!

looking like tomorrow will be wet,,,,,,,hope so! Bloody drying out!
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

BSCH stormcast has penciled in severe weather and storms for prime time 4.30pm sunday( tomorrow)
for my area which is west nth central the map.

Enjoying your audio presentation. 8-) Powerstorm. Informative and easy to follow :P Love the coughing fit. Got my attention immediately..LOL
Love the relaxed style and thanks for not copying the other presenters , some can be quite monotonous. The casual ,honest talking style keeps the brain engaged.
Sound like a radio DJ. . :P I was waiting for the time and the next song. I am impressed and l will use the service. Thanks. Better than reading it.
Weather presenters usually never explain why.. if their forecasts don't work out. I liked your explanation of the changed prognosis for xmas day.
Well done!

I wasn't complaining the other day Rivergirl, l was just wondering why.it was so
. You all do a wonderful, excellent job of running the forum and thanks to all the administration and mods. A merry Christmas to all of you. Make sure you have a lovely restful , happy time regards

Some high dew points in the wimmera and s/west and central atm 16-18 deg c in some places. Nicely primed for the trough to do its work
Some very high dew points across the board in SA atm with all that rain and storms SA had today. Up to 20 deg c dew point in many places in SA today :o
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Western border regions of NSW are really lighting up and tomorrow looks ominous. It all seems to be converging nicely and GFS ramps it up as well (80mm???).

Very warm still (26degC), and first rainband is approaching from the North.

The funny thing is that the week/weekend before Christmas often delivers the best storms and dumps of rain for the year, especially when we're in a LaNina (1988, 1992, 1993, 1999, & 2007 come to mind).
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Man I hope we get some of this action tomorrow - http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthre ... 1045133/25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
s
sparra
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by sparra »

Just had 22mm in about 20minutes here.....oh well..... :( Surprised there isn't a thunderstorm warning out looking at the radar.
Probably the only one up at the moment......can't sleep with all that noise going on LOL!!!
B
BigBen
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BigBen »

Really wish we had a radar near Horsham, almost nothing to show what you're getting Sparra. Little activity near Macedon but think it'll be hours before I see anything interesting. Tomorrow (actually today now) should be an interesting day, lots of potential but where will it dump on?
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Some interesting temperature differences at the moment. 16.6 here but 24.3 in scoresby (only 5km up the road), which is even warmer than the cbd at 22.

That means if I leave home now in a long sleeve shirt, and drive 5 minutes to scoresby, I would need to take it off lol.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

I'm up cant sleep...someone gave me a really bad flu for christmas...

very warm night out there, be nice to get some thunder
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

2.5mm rain last evening and 2mm the night before.A few heavier falls up to 40mm around the district .
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ugh, I'm up. Too warm for sleeping, so got up to find the vaguest of rain drops trying to cover the ground. LOL at all the night owls up and about overnight. Sparra, 22mm in 20 mins? That's a decent downpour! And Stevco, you made me laugh with your long sleeved shirt comment :laughing:

Right. Coffee!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Nice start to the day, a red rainbow at sunrise about 6am. Weak rainband was just moving down from the north as the first deep red rays of the sun peeked over the horizon, and there it was, all subtle and red, no other rainbow colours at all...
PICT0006-Optimized.jpg
PICT0006-Optimized.jpg (14.41 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Steady rain here for the last hour but getting real solid last 20 min. Going from the BOM forecast all hell could break loose this arvo with scattered storms but hoping for a good 20-30mm today.

Rhino. :) :)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Can someone explain how and why Mildura dropped 5 degrees in 6min last night at 9:23pm??
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Some areas around Avoca and to the west have had 50-60mm of rain since 9am yesterday if doppler totals are to be believed, solid rain sat around there for hours yesterday and with this mornings rainfall certainly would believe it. If things ramp up later today will be some decent flash flooding in that area imo. Might go for a drive out that way later and see what I can see. :D

Had 7mm so far this morning.

s
sparra
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by sparra »

Lily » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 am wrote:
Lily wrote: Sparra, 22mm in 20 mins?
Yeah, we don't get storms and rain like that through here very often.....can't really remember the last time it was that heavy. We have a tiled roof and it woke everyone up......water everywhere......gutters didn't handle it very well!!!
Anyway 35mm all up in the end...WZ says Nhill only had 14mm?? Will have to ask the father in law.....bit of bad luck for us if it is right but that's thunderstorms for you :D
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

34mm in Mildura in 1 hour between 7am and 8am, nice fall. :)

J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yes already some very good falls about western and northern districts of Victoria, and the main band of rain has not even started to affect Victoria yet. The trough reaches us late this afternoon. Lots of falls 20mm plus already, Mildura seeing heavy rainfall today, and to 9am this morning 59mm, 18mm at Walpeup, 30mm at Horsham, 16mm at Mt. Gambier, 21mm at Charlton and even a nice fall of 28mm at Mt Baw Baw (interesting!!)

So has I said lots more rainfall to come today, a very unstable and moist airmass, lots of Dew Points at the surface above 15, touching 20 degrees at some places. As the trough moves closer and into western Victoria later today we should see showers and thunderstorms develop and then tending to rain along the trough in the west. Will be interesting. Widespread showers this morning.

Only 2mm so far here, we seem to be in between gaps of rainfall at the moment. However it's 19 degrees with a DP of 18 degrees. I'm still certain we can make 30mm to 9am Monday, maybe even higher.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.