Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough/Front - Storms and rain - 17th -19th Nov

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough/Front - Storms and rain - 17th -19th No

Post by Meso »

TheFishmanAU » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:38 pm wrote:
TheFishmanAU wrote:Severe storms are not what they used to be. This might be the 5 th thunder day but it has been very small in comparison to other years with 5 in a month.
Maybe not where you live, but there has already been some epic storms in Victoria this season and we haven't even hit summer yet.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Man that line off the SW coast is amazing. I can hear thunder still from the mini line near Port Campbell, as I am just to the northeast of there. Lets hope this lightning does not die off as it moves over. Im leaving until tomorrow afternoon now, so wish me luck. ;) Catch you all then, looking forward to all the reports.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Well strike me lucky we are still driving under this line now for 1.5 hrs .... Just through Yea now and through the curtain. Non stop flangs since leaving Elwood at around 6 with interminant torrential rain and tree bending gusts. Just enough time now to get to Mansfield, open a beer and see it all over again.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

tizza » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm wrote:
tizza wrote:
Mate that it exactly what I'm talking about. It's from the EXACT same persecutive too, we must live very close to each other. Did you get to watch it go from a small cigar roll cloud and flatten out to that and take off. It was so cool. You just don't get to see things like that in VIC very often.
Yeah saw the small roll cloud then form into that rotating structure, was interesting to see. Other then that it was very messy
TheFishmanAU wrote:Severe storms are not what they used to be. This might be the 5 th thunder day but it has been very small in comparison to other years with 5 in a month. It was and epic failure in Greensborough Eltham and Doncaster East. A couple of quality flashes & that was that. It was over in 10 minutes. It is clearing off and the sun is out now.
Your joking right, Melbourne and suburbs have had some of the most severe storms on record over the passed few years. If you were SE near Dandenong just over a week ago you would of seen what some severe action looked like. Just because your house didn't get a direct impact doesn't mean there's nothing severe around.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

That swirl of cloud/wind that tizza and a couple of others mentioned gave me my highest wind reading in a long time- 86 km/h.I knew it was weird because the wind was absolutely howling from all directions.Amazing.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
MurrayRiver1712
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by MurrayRiver1712 »

Just had the wind pick up, and a few drops of rain here in Echuca, temp has dropped nicely :) no storms though :(
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

We had that same possible meso here in the Belgrave area as that roll cloud rushed over at about 6:20PM, quite blustery at the time mind you... that was probably the most exciting feature of the squall line that came through. Still, some nice rain and rumbles of thunder (and the odd flash of lightning)... as well as a lovely rainbow about 30 minutes ago. 4.2mm in the gauge so far. Not bad for starters :)

That line off the Southwest coast looks amazing on the lightning tracker... I hope it survives long enough to give Melbourne an overnight fireworks display... :D
O
OHMegga
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by OHMegga »

About to logoff and shutdown PC. The most intense lightning I have seen in over 30 yrs. More strikes per minute. Rain just starting. Thunder getting stronger here in Sale. Call back in Later . Cheers and Good luck everyone.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Very calm down my end with the 2nd main line out at sea and faint echoes of thunder can be heard inland, going to be an interesting night but my gut feeling is that most of it will stay out to sea.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Still plenty of trough left. The pressure has dropped again in SA and deepest part of trough is now back in SA. Port Augusta, Whyalla and Yorke peninsula 1006 hPascals
Just a quick look at the cold front on the updated synoptic and that line of storms appears to be on the cold front.
So we have two triggers. The cold front and the trough. Looks like the cold front will catch the trough quite easily tonight.
Will be interesting to see if any wind associated with this cold front change when the storm line hits land you can finally view some observations.
Most interesting. There must be plenty of cold air behind the cold front line as weather news on TV said snow on the alps on Monday. :o LOL
Well in maldon we had a gentle change. No wind and white sky ( not dark storm cloud) and some nice moderate falls of rain for a short while.
I texted a young friend of mine in Cowes when l saw those red rain cores heading for Cowes to warn him of severe weather. He texted back and said " yeah l know its &^%$#$in crazy down here" Amazing ,considering the rain band hadn't hit there yet..
This next line of storms is looking more than interesting. Can't wait to see some obs when the line makes landfall.
The ww.gpats.com lightning tracker is showing that line as an extremely lightning active line. Just thick with lightning hits over a small area.
That must be the longest straightest line of thunderstorms l have seen.I'll take a snap soon . Just trying to estimate its length. Ceduna to west Tasmania :o as the crow flys. Of course another trigger variable may be when the cold front reaches the warmer mainland . The mind boggles as how this may pan out??
I
Last edited by crikey on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

Meso wrote:
TheFishmanAU wrote:Severe storms are not what they used to be. This might be the 5 th thunder day but it has been very small in comparison to other years with 5 in a month.
Maybe not where you live, but there has already been some epic storms in Victoria this season and we haven't even hit summer yet.
Poor positioning on may part then.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Maybe try Camberwell, Fishman? They have "mini cyclones" AND "mini tornados"!!! Dangerous spot, that Camberwell :laughing:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6199205991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

There is a very interesting line in South Australia. Will it continue on it Westerly course?
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

Lily » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 pm wrote:
Lily wrote:Maybe try Camberwell, Fishman? They have "mini cyclones" AND "mini tornados"!!! Dangerous spot, that Camberwell :laughing:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6199205991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I must travel south not north next time. I've been hitting Doncaster Shoppingtown during the last few. Maybe I should go to St Kilda beach?

I live near Camberwell.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Wonder if this makes the Guiness book of records for longest and straighest line of thunderstorms. Its eerily quiet here atm. This snap looks creepy.
I titled this snap.. ..WALL OF THUNDERSTORMS. :sccary: :sccary:
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

If I had my car I would of left for the SW coast several hours ago, it's pretty much the perfect setup for lightning shots running south of the coast line slowly getting closer
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

It is almost as long as the distance between Adelaide and Melbourne.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

Two shots from this evening ( End of North Road, Brighton ) ( click through for bigger )

Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

As our younger friends would say, it's "EPIC"!!!! 8-) :stir: 8-)
Storm Nerd!!
M
MurrayRiver1712
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by MurrayRiver1712 »

It would be a amazing sound and light show on King Island tonight.