Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - More rain likely March 7th - 10th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - More rain likely March 7th - 10th

Post by johnno »

Nice going Petros ;)
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

We snagged 9.5mm, most of it falling effortlessly on Weds arvo. I was surprised by how quickly it accumulated.
hillybilly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 pm wrote:
hillybilly wrote:A handy fall - veggie patch is like a jungle.
In other news, I noticed the above quote - is it just me or do gardens go more bezerk from sky juice when compared to tap or tank juice? I'm only 3ish months into my gardening career, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm on about, but I swear blind my vegies/herbs look more perky after a good drink from the sky than they do the same amount of time after a watering can drink.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

schitzengiggles wrote:We snagged 9.5mm, most of it falling effortlessly on Weds arvo. I was surprised by how quickly it accumulated.
hillybilly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 pm wrote:
hillybilly wrote:A handy fall - veggie patch is like a jungle.
In other news, I noticed the above quote - is it just me or do gardens go more bezerk from sky juice when compared to tap or tank juice? I'm only 3ish months into my gardening career, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm on about, but I swear blind my vegies/herbs look more perky after a good drink from the sky than they do the same amount of time after a watering can drink.
[/quote]

Sky-juice works every time, we try but our artificially applied H2O just dosent trick mother nature (at least past "survival mode")!!!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

I can't work out what the difference is - what's so different about rain that it makes plants go ballistic?
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Some good falls up the top of the Goulburn catchment to go straight into Lake Eildon, but by far the best fall is 73mm at Bridge Creek, up the top of the Broken catchment, all from the almost stationary storm over the course of 3 or 4 hours, it is now finally dying with no more heat left to keep it going.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

RE: plant growth
i reckon it is lots of cloud cover. Plants can do very well under green shade cloth.
Most tender plants labor in the full sun or dry conditions . clovers gone beserk and mosses happily growing at the moment. Its been moist , tropical and warm with plenty of cloud cover. I have beans growing in full sun and some under shade cloth and the shade cloth wins hands down for nearly all veg
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Rain is full of nitration which the soils love and feed the plants nicely

13mm here nice fall and most came with drizzle

Good event for most off the state many had 10mm+ and lots had 30-50mm in the E NE NC and otways so some good rain around

Cant wait for the warm sunny weather next 2 days AND mid to late next week
Now Living in Wet QLD
Tempest
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Tempest »

crikey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm wrote:
crikey wrote:RE: plant growth
i reckon it is lots of cloud cover. Plants can do very well under green shade cloth.
That's true for some of the more tender veggies but most do far better in full sun for a good 8 hours a day. If they're not doing well in full sun it's most likely a problem with the soil. Either it's drying out too much between watering (solution- apply a thick layer of mulch and water VERY deeply twice a week), or it lacks nutrients (solution- dig in heaps of well composted organic matter a month before planting)

A good downpour waters the soil more evenly and deeply than our own efforts with a watering can could ever do. Also, if you are comparing rain water to tap water(not tank water) it's better for the plants because it doesn't contain additives like fluoride.

We ended up with around 10mm here and my jungle is looking less and less like a veggie patch now too :)
e
eddie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by eddie »

Finished with just under 30mm, a very nice drop, cricket training was tough tonight as the ground still showing the signs of it
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Finished with 24mm for the event here. Not much more too add during yesterday.

Now we see how today pans out and what type of convection gets going with this very moist humid air persisting and very weak instability about.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Ended up with 23mm,much more than i thought originally.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

10.5mm of rain last couple of days very happy with that. Weather near perfect the last week if only it could stay a month or two.
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Heavy shower from that small cell coming in from the NE.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Just got back from a 4 day hike from Mt Hotham to Falls Creek. Rained from 6pm Wednesday night and was windy continued on and off to Thursday night. Nearly all the time I was there it was foggy and very moist underfoot. In total our yr 12 school group walked a total of 40km. Looks to be a bumper ski season, with the temp above 1500m around 6-10 deg. We are going up there for our ski trip in July. It Was different seeing the Alps with no snow for the first time.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

athearn2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:47 pm wrote:
athearn2 wrote:Heavy shower from that small cell coming in from the NE.
You should be having fun up there right now! Can you hear any thunder from the cells moving through?

Things looked okay just North of here for a while. Not really sure now though, and I think the only chance of us seeing a thunderstorm here tonight is if something drifts through.

Does anyone think that line moving through Albury at the moment will sustain itselft through to Melbourne, and give us a bit of a show tonight? I guess it's probably a massive ask for the system.

Cheers, Campbell :D
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Got 1.6mm from that heavy shower earlier.Still the chance of 1 or 2 cells affecting us tonight.Still very humid none the less.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Pretty much ready to rule out storms for this weekend now. It's basically been one downgrade after another from GFS and BoM aren't even that interested now. Shame, was looking forward to the freedom of chasing on a long weekend. Anyway, I'm very close to being convinced our season is over. Have a faint hope for mid/late next week, but it will probably follow the inevitable downgrade path.

This has been a strange season...some great storms no doubt, but the break between drinks has been almost unbearable compared to a usual year.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Feel so lucky down here, another 3.5mm of persistent drizzle overnight (can you get more effective moisture to the soil than that?) - adding to 37.5mm yesterday. A 41mm rain event for Maffra - VARY RARE!!! :D :D :D

Cudo's to AccessR - the rest of the models fell short for us re this one.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Nice! Good to see you guys get your turn :)