Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cooler with some showers: Mar 4 to Mar 10

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Cooler with some showers: Mar 4 to Mar 10

Post by hillybilly »

A spell of cooler SW to W weather coming up with some showers, mainly about coastal parts. EC and GFS have showers moving inland a bit near fronts on Thur/Fri and Mon. Quite cold air - the 850Ts drop to near 0C on Thur, and tend to stay in single digits for most of the week. Certainly looks autumnal.

Main event will be for Tas where the progs have substantial falls around western areas.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cooler with some showers: Mar 4 to Mar 10

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Looks fairly windy through the night...wouldn't be surprised if a SWW issued. Would expect coastal areas to get some pretty strong winds
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Nice stream of cloud coming our way from that depression off north-west WA - again! It would be nice if it could hook up with one of the upcoming fronts and give the rainfall totals a kick.

So far the models say no, but then they've said that a lot lately and the goodies have still been delivered :D !
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yes, the two cloudbands from the two different airmasses have definitely linked on the satellite image now, so we await to see if it can get a boost like Saturday's event did, though a bit less wind would be desirable.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Yes, the two cloudbands from the two different airmasses have definitely linked on the satellite image now, so we await to see if it can get a boost like Saturday's event did, though a bit less wind would be desirable.
Not to be. The phasing was wrong :(

One blowey night in the hill - ended up getting up at 4:30am as the roar was to much for sleeping... Handy 3.5mm in the gauge.

Got a little hail this morning in a shower, so I guess that almost makes it the first "cold outbreak" for 2015 :P

Tomorrow packs another front with a little wave on it. Rainfall gradients will be tight - decent falls on the coast and near zilch inland. Ferny Creek sits in the strong gradient so could get 1 or 10mm.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Chilly morning on the bike. Don't think we received anything at all in terms of rainfall. Typical south westerly rubbish. :roll:

That dreaded time of the year is fast approaching. :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

3.5 mm here, nasty wind again overnight; not quite as bad as Saturday night for strength, but duration was longer. Still pretty strong.

Certainly cold - I can imagine that snow falling in Tassie.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

EQ. Warragul - Morwell. 1.30.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

If anyone is wondering whether if it snowed in Victoria today, it did! I found this on Twitter, this is someone at Mount Buller. :D
https://instagram.com/p/z08oTdnDcT/

Tasmania on the other hand were very very lucky, they got great snowfalls today for early Autumn, Mt Wellington didn't get too much though, but the Central Plateau got blanketed :D
Miena, Tasmania Definitely 1 of the best towns to live in, in Australia for snow bunnies. ;)

Ben Lomond, Tasmania

Great Lake, Tasmania
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Another 3mm here today, so 6mm or there abouts. Bit more than the models were expecting so can't complain. Max (after 9am) of just 13C - heaters on - two weeks ago we needed the cooler with all that heat and humidity :P

BTW that gust at Wilson Prom of 156km/hr today seems to be a new March record. Wind obs aren't that consistent and sites tend to have short records, but still that's pretty significant.

Tomorrow could suprise - another front with a little wave which forms a low in the Tasman. Will have some kick in coastal areas. Thinking we could get another 5-10mm here.
If anyone is wondering whether if it snowed in Victoria today, it did! I found this on Twitter, this is someone at Mount Buller.
Reckon it did snow at Baw Baw and prob a little at Donna Buang and Lake Mt, but geez would be surprised if there was a snowman's worth (maybe they scraped the freezer ;) ). Temps here dipped to 7C so would have been snow to about 1200m briefly.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Lovely photos there
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Wierd band of heavy drizzle to the south of the Bay ATM moving north. This looks warm frontal, and should push into the burbs next few hours. Upper temps and humidity is rising. Was starting to spit in the Dandenong when I left hope.

Not a lot in it.

Back to more settled weather later next week with a block building as tropical lows develop in the Coral Sea.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Another windy trip into work this morning, at least the wind was behind me this time. :D :windsail:

Lazy forecasting by the BOM.

Melbourne area
Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers. Winds west to southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h.

There is lucky to be a 10% chance of showers here in the western suburbs. :roll:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Pretty solid drizzle here for the last hour, and the main band is still well south of us, so could end up with a wet day here.
Could well be a warm front, the temp. has risen here since the drizzle arrived, up to 11C now, and the wind has eased.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Very windy day here In Wyndham Vale. But having said that the end of my street is grassland stretching to the You Yang's and beyond, we are always a tad windier here.
In regards to the the Temperature, its actually a warm to mild breeze out there. Currently 23.2c here, I didnt think it would get so warm today. However we are generally a warmer pocket of Melbourne here during most days.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

WeatherViewer wrote:Currently 23.2c here
That's amazing, it has struggled up to 13c here in Olinda, 10c difference is huge from one side of Melbourne to the other.
The main band of showery rain has arrived here after a drizzly morning, quite heavy rain falling now, with more to come by the look of things.
Could be looking at 10mm here if it keeps up.
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Geoff » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:04 pm wrote:
Geoff wrote:
WeatherViewer wrote:Currently 23.2c here
That's amazing, it has struggled up to 13c here in Olinda, 10c difference is huge from one side of Melbourne to the other.
The main band of showery rain has arrived here after a drizzly morning, quite heavy rain falling now, with more to come by the look of things.
Could be looking at 10mm here if it keeps up.
Yep it is amazing, I really wish we had more BOM sites out this side of Melbourne. As I type it has cracked 24c, I can vouch for the accuracy of the local site and my manual gauge in the shade is reading very similar. Certainly feels warm to. Wind is blowing a westerly here and 34km/hour.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Windy, grey & drizzly here (1.5 mm so far) but not especially cold - by our standards - at 14 C.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Cool drizzly day up here with fog just to add to the effects :P 3.2mm of rain, and a max of 13.8C. Gone back into showers after a clearance earlier. Really humid for a cool day with DPs around 13C. Pretty classic warm front weather, which is odd for March.

Like the look of EC... Big cold outbreak late next week. Will it hold ;)
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Drizzle and fog all night here with (about) 8mm in the gauge since 9am. Still coming down (shame as I want a nice day to get some work done!). Looks like clearing soon if EC is to be believed, then returning tonight but lighter.

BTW here's the AWS trace from yesterday for up here. Shows a pretty classic warm frontal signature. Can't recall something like this in March before - but the memory is far from perfect..