Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

The Death of Emmy Boyle

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

The Death of Emmy Boyle

Post by blackmamba »

I woke up this morning, and got into the car to go to work like any other day. Though, I was taken aback by some news I heard on the radio soon after and that was about the death of an innocent young girl, Emmy Boyle, who was about to turn four years old.

So the story goes that her mother put her in the bath and then realised she had forgotten a towel, so went to get one. Knowing full well her daughter was used to the water and that she would only be out of the room for about 30 seconds (at most.) So she went to get a towel, and returned to find Emmy face down in the water.

Here in Melbourne, the Ambulance service has been a bit on the notorious side for legnthy response times. While the Ambulance drivers work their arses opff, there's a lot of other factors that need improvement.
Due to a dispatch error, in Emmy's case it took the Ambulance a shocking 23 minutes to arrive.

This is such a tough nut to crack, though. I'm not blaming the ambulance service, though I will say something needs to be done about response times. And for the parents, I feel awful for them. You really don't think of these things, in your mind they'll 'never happen'.
Hell, I'll put my hand up and admit it. I did the EXACT SAME THING (left my daughter in the bath for anywhere between 10-30 seconds) on Saturday because I'd forgotten to bring a towel into the bathroom. You just think you know she'll sit there playing with the bubbles in her bubble bath. (Though, it's now not something I'd ever do again!)

Read more on this case: http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/neil-mitche ... 3hxg0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Poor little angel. :(
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: The Death of Emmy Boyle

Post by Rivergirl »

My friend has a 2 and 4 year old and she will often leave them in the bath and run quickly to the towel cupboard as she hasn't got their favourite towel or they want another colour. You know how stroppy kids can be about that type of things. I really feel for the parents.
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: The Death of Emmy Boyle

Post by blackmamba »

Rivergirl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:50 pm wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:My friend has a 2 and 4 year old and she will often leave them in the bath and run quickly to the towel cupboard as she hasn't got their favourite towel or they want another colour. You know how stroppy kids can be about that type of things. I really feel for the parents.
Exactly.
Though as of this, I absolutely refuse to leave.