Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Brief Heat and Another Easterly Dip Rain Event.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Brief Heat and Another Easterly Dip Rain Event.

Post by Dane »

Officer less than 10kms from here now up to 35mm's since 9am.
Still mostly sunny here.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

That band of showers and thunderstorms that's been affecting the southeastern suburbs over the past few hours appears to be associated with a 'convergence boundary' between breezes from Port Phillip and Western Port, and although most of the band has broken up a few cells remain in progress along a line from around Cockatoo/Gembrook/Pakenham area down to just south of Cranbourne... those cells around Cranbourne look pretty intense! Hope they can continue north and last long enough to bring some action to my area!! :D
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

the cell near the airport has interesting lowerings, but no visible rotation in the zoom lense.
Peter
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Thunder again over the northern suburbs.

I suspect the cell over Cranbourne would be throwing CG's too
O
Ob1
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Ob1 »

Yep, Definately throwing out CG's interesting lowerings on its western side as well.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Power back on now after that short and fairly intense Storm with several flangs blacked us out here.
Had a quick fire 14mm's with that, back to bright sunshine now. No hail though.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

It's been really wet here since about 4pm. One shower around 7:00pm was almost torrential.

Checked the gauge from inside the house through binoculars, so I can't say exactly what I have had but it looks to be pretty close to 15mm or around about that mark.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Very interesting day in-terms of the instability with the trough moving through. Apart from some heavy showers this morning here in Brighton, nothing but lovely sunshine here for the rest of today with rather mild to warm conditions.

Good to see showers and thunderstorms elsewhere :) We should see most of the shower activity across eastern parts of the state tomorrow.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Steady heavy drenching drizzle now here tonight type of rain that accumulate quite quickly if it stuck around just drenching not surprised now that we are on the back of the low cold air has moved east moister southerly airstream now has set in for a good part of the night for city area and northern suburbs with stream off the bay
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Yesterday was a typical unstable November day. A shame we haven't had more of them! Taking forever to warm up this year. Surely if the cold air can linger to our south and push up the next time we get a warm humid day there will be some nice storms.getting very jealous of SE QLD and NSW over past couple of weeks.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

15.9mm's in the 24 hours to 9am. Event total 22.2mm's so we haven't done that bad here mainly thanks to that small cell that came over my area late yesterday and dumped 14mm's on me in half an hour. Some close flangs with that which blacked out my area for about 40 mins.
Fine at the moment and it does not look like much to come.
Btw MTD now 100.1mm's so we have topped the ton for the 4th time in the last six months.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Some reasonably heavy showers training over us for a change from the south with a handy 6.2mm so far today (as reported from the PWS).

Managed to avoid most of the convective showers yesterday down at Docklands for the dragon boat racing. Was interesting watching the cells flitting around us particularly out to the west.

Not a big fan of the ridiculous heat in summer but this southerly drizzle/rain business is getting a bit old. Bring on some humidity and the tropical downpours, Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra getting their share - our turn next please?!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Watch the cricket ripper storm just went through Brisbane! :o
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

25 mm to 9 am here, plus a couple more since and 5 mm before, so 30 mm plus for the event - another handy system.
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

Anyone know what the end of this weeks going to bring?

Cheers
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

2 mm to 9 am, so 32 mm for the event here.

Still some drizzle around so maybe another 0.5 - 1 mm left in it but either way a surprise in the end that beat most of the models and the forecasts - at least as far as this area was concerned.

The cold and grey skies have just been relentless this month - will be interesting to see how it measures up against previous Novembers, although our nearest official weather station 30 km west at Ballarat has had a very different month to us with more sun and a fraction of the rain, so we may never know.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

This past week has been a real mixed bag - next to nothing North of the Divide which isnt a bad thing in the middle of harvest.'

Incidentally, Melb CBD temps have been very different to the Olympic Park comparison site this month:

Minimum Temps:
Melb CBD: 12.0c (normal 11.2c)
Olympic Prk: 11.5c

Maximum Temps:
Melb CBD: 21.4c (normal 22.0c)
Olympic Prk: 19.9c

Source - http://www.australianweathernews.com/data/DS1_86.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So a significantly colder than average November thus far. (It will bump up a little with warmer weather this week)
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

This weather is horrendously boring. Times like these I consider moving up north!
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Thanks for that Olympic Park link stratosphere. Checked back a couple of months and its consistently about one degree lower for daytime temps - something you would expect, gives a more realistic City Temperature I think and more in line with the surrounding suburbs. But I noticed those Olympic park temps are rounded up or down to whole degrees they all end in point zero. Might make a slight difference. Would love to see that site become the official Site for Melbourne temps but I doubt it will.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: VIC: Brief Heat and Another Easterly Dip Rain Event.

Post by Dane »

Noticed that the Olympic park site is now appearing on the Melbourne AWS page so that's not bad.
As DJ said beautiful sunny day with light winds just a bit of high level cloud.
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/observations/melbourne.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;