Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Melbourne dams

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Melbourne dams

Post by adon »

Hey crikey one thing also must be taken into account is the growth in population of Melbourne and the lack of new storages being built to accommodate that population growth. You are right about the SOI link but the long term average I would say is the lack of more storage. IMO
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

I think Melbourne has a good storage network, its not really about having more dams, but instead filling them. Plus with the desal (waste IMO) we will never run out of water.. ;)
Go the bombersss!
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 6466517254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

It doesn't matter whether the desal plant is being tested to pump water, it won't be in use to save us from water shortages anytime soon.

Dams should crack 80% next week.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yes and the experts who suggested such nonsense as not enough rain to fill the dams we should have built should be discredited, and dispanded.

Lake Eildon, 3 times the size of Thompson, filled in 14 months from almost empty. But thats not even half of it, they have released 1.1Million megalitres the last year, which is the whole capacity of the Thompson itself.

This is an outrage and people should be made accountable.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
d
dry
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dry »

Melbourne water dams now 80%. I might hose down the driveway to celebrate! :o
Desal water is now flowing too.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

You know, if the big dam was to fall down to an earthquake or something, then Melbourne has SFA water. Its almost impossible for that to happen, but to have the Desal on stanby for such an event is insurance a city as big as melbourne now needs. If I was the Govt, I would be selling iton that angle.

Anyway, there is $50 million up for grabs from the govt for alternative use water projects. Anyone can apply ant trust me some real fruit cake ideas have been funded in the past, so dont miss out.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! a weak sea breeze has arrived, a light s/ssw.
d
dry
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dry »

Melbourne Water dams up only 0.4 percentage points over the last few days. I was expecting quite a lot more given the nice totals in the related Gippsland catchments.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Inflows weren't particularly high because of the very dry summer and autumn.

Now that catchments are reaching saturation point, rain from now on should have a greater impact.