Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Extended heat spell - 3rd Jan 2013 to 12th Jan 2013

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Extended heat spell - 3rd Jan 2013 to 12th Jan 201

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

not good Robyn..
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Ive definitely got insect damage here and also down the hill in the garden that i work in, mostly on large leafed soft plants like Hydrangea(all species) Viburnum, Clematis, Polygantum, Exochorda, Amelanchier, Birch, Tilia, Roses, Asters,Potatoes,Nasturtium and soft green cool climate lawn grasses like Rye and Fescue. The signs of whitefly are silvering or mottling of the leaf surface, reduced flower size and the propensity to wilt even when the plants have been watered. If you disturb the flys they swarm out from the centre of the host plan then settle very quickly back under the foliage. The bugs are tiny, green and very annoying.

I have sterted to spray insecticide because im concerned that they will have a bigger impact if this hot dry weather continues, it is showing every sign that it will.

Dont know how widespread the whitefly problem is, i havent been anywhere other than work or home for a good while. I used to have whitefly in the garden that i worked at in Toorak back in the drought. I think they like to congregate in irrigated gardens where there are still lots of green leafy plants and green lawns.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

You're not alone Macedonian, I've got exactly the same symptoms on the same plants here in Olinda, also on my lawns, which I've never come across before in nearly 40 years of gardening. I was out cutting back some hydrangeas this evening and nearly choking on the clouds of aphids engulfing me, quite the worst I've ever encountered. I have to say though, apart from those affected plants, the gardens up here are looking superb this summer, only the real moisture loving species beginning to look a bit tired now, as you'd expect. Things are clearly a lot drier over Macedon way than here.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
E
EMDG6B
New User
Reactions:

Post by EMDG6B »

Very dry over this way, been struggling to keep two of our deciduous tress alive after the recent heat! Both have been in for about 15 years and are really suffering from this dry spell, been watering them every night for the past week to try and keep them happy.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

You guys should move your tree posts to here http://theaustralianweatherforum.com/fo ... =13&t=1586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Dry, dry, dry, dry, dry, dry, dry... oh my god this is getting old. It's been so long I can't even remember what it is I'm missing. It's the stuff that flushes the toilet, right?

Don't get me started on the environment, but wow the cbd trees are looking horrible. It won't be long before they're all damaged beyond repair. I'm all for euro's, but they can't cope in this city, not anymore.

Anyway, who would've thought beautiful weather could be so horrible. At least melbourne is giving us dry with sunshine instead of dry with overcast for once.