Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

X class flare exceeded X1

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

X class flare exceeded X1

Post by Rivergirl »

Space Weather Message Code: SUMX01
Serial Number: 82
Issue Time: 2012 Oct 23 0336 UTC

SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1
Begin Time: 2012 Oct 23 0313 UTC
Maximum Time: 2012 Oct 23 0317 UTC
End Time: 2012 Oct 23 0321 UTC
X-ray Class: X1.8
NOAA Scale: R3 - Strong

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Potential Impacts: Area of impact consists of large portions of the sunlit side of Earth, strongest at the sub-solar point.
Radio - Wide area blackout of HF (high frequency) radio communication for about an hour.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: X class flare exceeded X1

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Any news if this is Earth directed..? are we going to have clear skies when this arrives. ?
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

It says this on http://www.spaceweather.com Shell, so yes it was earth directed to us :)

X-FLARE: New sunspot AR1598 has erupted again. On Oct. 23rd at 0322 UT, Earth orbiting satellites detected a strong X1-class solar flare. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the extreme ultraviolet flash:

Radiation from the flare created waves of ionization in the upper atmosphere over Asia and Australia (the daylit side of Earth) and possibly HF radio blackouts at high latitudes. The blast did not, however, produce a significant coronal mass ejection (CME). No auroras are expected to result from this event.

This is the 4th significant flare from AR1598 since it emerged over the southeastern limb only three days ago. This means more flares are probably in the offing, and they will become increasingly Earth-directed as the sunspot turns toward our planet in the days ahead. Stay tuned for updates
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

just hope it keeps heating up and lets out one almighty big blow right towards us - when we have a clear night..plz..
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Thanks for posting this Robyn - it's pretty amazing watching this develop - they have been tipping this sunspot for about two weeks.

Thing I find very interesting too, and this will excite AV for sure, but after a very quiet period of activity on the sun, we have also had a very unusually quiet period of earthquakes. Most people will call it coincidence, but in the last week there has been 5 Magnitude 6 or greater earthquakes around the world - but three of those were in the last 24hrs, since the solar flare.

I know there are many arguments against this, but seems a little less coincidental to me!

Anyhow, theories over, hoping for a good series of chances with this new sunspot :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Chris, Yes I subscribe to that theory too. I don't think it's just coincidence