Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Thundery Warm Weather - April 19-22nd 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Thundery Warm Weather - April 19-??? 2012

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Really looking forward to it! I've just taken a look at the unfolding synoptic pattern for the coming 7 days on Weatherzone and it's looking insane!! Man I love it when cold air and hot air prepare to do battle over Victoria!! lol :D

The satellite pic doesn't look too bad with the cloud streaming in from the northeast, I expect it'll become a bit more humid and fairly unsettled here in Melbourne with showers and possibly the risk of a thunderstorm developing over the next couple of days :)
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Rhys_34 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 pm wrote:
Rhys_34 wrote:I might be missing something but where is the cold air in this scenario? GFS has temps of around only 4-5C at 850hpa for Tuesday and Wednesday, with maximums of 16C forecast for Melbourne I would have thought it would have to be closer to 0C?
Looks like GFS have a really warm humid airmass and then fire the cold air in Wed
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah coldest comes in from Wednesday on the western side of the low. Some fairly blasty SW winds as well so it will feel very chilly.

The cloud is developing across the state right now in response to the moisture increasing from the NE and some instability along a trough in the E of the state as well.

Another pool of cold air will move through the north and west tomorrow and this may trigger further showers and storms mainly through C and E areas. 10-20mm possible even across parts of C Victoria.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Here's an interesting comparison between GFS and AccessG for next Thursday that I'll be keeping an eye on, to see how it eventuates.
If GFS is right most of Victoria will be under water, if AccessG is right most of Victoria will be dry!
Our friends in SW WA will be very interested in the GFS scenario too!
GFS.png
GFS.png (34.42 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
AccessG.png
AccessG.png (31.93 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

GFS looks fairly good! I don't think they'll be much flooding at all even with that rain, its been quite dry lately!!!
Go the bombersss!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Nafets, that's just for next Thursday, here is the GFS accumulation from now til Wednesday, if they're right the ground will be very wet over many parts by then...
GFS 00z.png
GFS 00z.png (49.86 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Really starting to look like some very useful systems to come through over the period till next thurs (don't know what the cutoff date is for this thread?) and probably the only downside to them is there might'nt be much going through the NW grain growing areas but if next thurs come off would be ideal up there, might even be a little too wet for a while. :)

Showers moving in from the NE at a decent rate of knots and should be in central districts in 2-3 hrs. Most of us should get 5-15mm over the next 4 days which will be a nice entree next weeks falls.

Rhino. :) :)
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

I am wondering what is contributing to the complexity of the systems in the coming week. Models seemed to change markedly on each run and seem to be quite different to each other. Why the uncertainty?
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

@ TassieDave

During the Changing of the seasons there's cold pools forming inland and with the troughs and lows coming through the models are having a hard time interpreting it properly. Also it's because of the systems being rather close together maybe that could be why too. The knowledgable blokes will answer it better for you.
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Cloudy here this morning and very balmy. Hoping to score a shower or two today need a drink now....
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

The weather of the coming week is caused by high levels of atmospheric moisture being lifted or rising into cold dense air a few km above the surface. Hence why there is large amounts of rainfall forecast. Of course you need the trigger being the cold air to lift the moisture, and today is a great example where the trigger is weak and we are left with humid and cloudy skies.

Today there will be cloud right across the state with areas of light rain but not much in it. The rain will increase from the NE later today with isolated thunderstorms there and also about the western regions of the C districts later near another small trough. Humid throughout.

Friday scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will develop, mainly during the afternoon with some of the storms possibly severe over the ranges and NE. Otherwise fine in the far W. Humid and mild throughout.

The weekend should be generally fine apart from isolated showers in the afternoon on Saturday in the east and showers developing during Sunday from the west near another short wave, which will move into Central areas later. Isolated thunderstorms possible later Sunday in Central areas including Melbourne.

Early next week another pool of cold air will rise from the southern ocean and interact with lingering moisture over the SE and another in feed of moisture from the NT. Widespread cloud and rain will develop over SE Australia during the Tuesday before settling in for the remainder of the week. There is the potential for some large rainfall totals through southern VIC and E NSW with a developing low pressure system however location is the key to the heaviest of the rainfall.

Temps will be cold enough for snowfalls to develop to the lowest levels of the year and hail will return to southern coasts behind the low pressure system.
This will be the last time we will see this sort of weather before spring.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

EC no longer has the very cold air which would lead to a shorter and sharper event. Latest run shows a more prolonged rain/storm event. Nice totals.

Weather today is very spring/early summer like
M
Mikew
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mikew »

Suns popping out now and very humid 70%
Now the wait and see approach for some development
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Seems there is a nice bout of storms forming on the inside of that surface low forming up. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Been moderate rain here for the last 10mins.Has a very tropical feel at the moment plus the radar is showing a lot more to come.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yeah should be a few good bursts up in the NE this afternoon there athern! I would think 10-20mm possible next 24hrs.

Should see showers and storms form on the W Central ranges this afternoon and tend to rain over the Grampians this evening. Melbourne really between it all but still a risk of a shower or storm. Tomorrow is a better chance but keep watching the radar.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Hopefully these storms don't fall apart after dark, might be a chance for a few lightning photos.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Surprised that there isn't a STW a few storms in NE vic look severe, especially the storm which is currently still in NSW moving across the border.
Go the bombersss!
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Meso, given the set up, id imagine it will be very messy out there underneath it all. Cant imagine to many nice bolts to show. But i would love to proven otherwise... as a precaution the batteries are a chargin.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

The line as it approaches from the east. This is the southern quadrant building ahead and feeding in to the main complex. iPhone pic... cant see the nice infeed band to well...