Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

High Temperatures, High Humidity and Storms 26 Feb - Mar 3

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: High Temperatures, High Humidity and Storms 26 Feb - Mar

Post by Alexia »

Up to 50mm rain today 173mm last few days total 223mm system so far.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Didn't get a great deal here. I looked at the gauge from out the window using binoculars :D , a common trend now when it's just too wet and miserable to be stuffed going out and checking it properly. Anyway, judging from that it was around 7mm. It looks like up on the mountain got a fair bit more so there must have been a local rain shadow effect, even though it didn't effect the Melbourne area that had widespread 10mm+ falls.

Everything has greened up instantly out there. The creeks were running pretty high the other day, nowhere near flooding but a fair bit of water surging through. It's looking pretty good now.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Nice fall here, 70 for the event so far. Happened to go past the Maribrynong river today, and it was the muddiest/ murkiest/ brownest i've seen it! Its usually clear...even during floods last year... :?
Go the bombersss!
F
Flangfest
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Flangfest »

Made the trip up the Hume to Glenrowan today, planning on seeing Ess v St K game in Wangaratta but my team is too soft to bus it up here...

Anyway, the rain up here has been insane. Non stop all day!!! Staying up here for a few days. Will post anything decent I get weatherwise from here when I get home.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Flangfest » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 pm wrote:
Flangfest wrote:Made the trip up the Hume to Glenrowan today, planning on seeing Ess v St K game in Wangaratta but my team is too soft to bus it up here...

Anyway, the rain up here has been insane. Non stop all day!!! Staying up here for a few days. Will post anything decent I get weatherwise from here when I get home.
I go for St Kilda, but it's a shame that Essendon didn't manage to get there. I think next time they better bus it there. I bet you everyone would be disappointed as you would've driven all that way to see nothing. Anyway I heard that people are getting full refunds, so I guess that's good news.

But yeah it was raining all day here in Templestowe. Sort of got sick of it but apparently there's more to come. Looking forward to the BOM's forecast after Tuesday. Things seem to be clearing up then. :)
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

41mm here today, taking the week's total up to 230.3mm
b1schn1
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by b1schn1 »

some aerial phots from facebook thanks D Brethal today of the flooding, excuse the size if large, i can never get it to work properly, i think this really shows whats happening
Tungamah

The Broken creek, its broken alright!!

Near Katamatite

Tallygaroopna

Congupna

H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Wow, thanks for those shots!! Not much to say that hasn't been said before. Let's hope this rain stops so as to prevent even more rises there.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Awesome photos b1schn1! And yeah hopefully it doesn't rain for a while now. Anyway I went on a drive just before midnight to pick my brother up from a party and the fog was creeping in. So just a heads up, it may be pretty foggy in the morning when you wake up so stay safe!
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

We are now on 101mm rain. b1schn1 unbelieveable photo's thanks for sharing.
Would have been good to be able to see last night when going to bed the noise from water running around was so loud.
About to get going and check cattle hope to get some photo's
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Damn, a friend of ours lives in Tungamah. Haven't been able to get hold of him the last couple of days, I was hoping he was ok as news reports had said only a handful of homes affected, but looking at those photos it tells a different story. I really feel for all affected :(
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

That's a big expanse of water and really puts it all in perspective, unfortunately not a nice one either. :(

16mm here yesterday and overnight and everything is just so wet now, looking for a bit of sun for a few days now, sowing some new lawn this week. :D

Rhino. :) :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Had 98mm from the system in 3 lots, should tick over 100mm in the next 48 hours with some residual showers.

Nothing compared to the NE, highest total is Mount Buffalo with 533mm for the event, and widespread 350mm falls right across that area, so one can imagine that the flooding there is astronomical. Those photos are just the beginning, that sort of flooding would be prevalent right through inland NSW as well.

Remarkable, and what a perfect way to start autumn, most of the SE is now 300-500% above average rainfall. On day 4.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

22.5mm yesterday, bringing my event total from 26th Feb to 3rd March inclusive is 83.5mm.

Thoughts to all those flood affected in VIC and NSW. What an incredible event.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Well i wouldn't rule out further flooding for the rest of the year... February /March is the driest month in the NE, Albury only sees 37mm in March on average. From all this rain they've had, it has primed and saturated the ground much earlier than usual (on average peak rainfall is in the winter months from frontal systems), meaning that when they do get their winter rain, its going to pour straight into the already swollen rivers (Its going to take a while to drain them, and this is leading up to the wettest time of the year). In the NE, the peak time for river hight/ flow is in Spring (mainly in AUgust/ September) after winter rains. Now after this pre-seasonal heavy rain, the peaks should be earlier coinciding with the seasonal rain, meaning the rivers probably won't cope. This is the past year river heights on the Kiewa river at Bandiana: Image
Go the bombersss!
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

210mm all up from this system including 67mm from yesterday afternoon to this morning.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks for the photos b1schn1. Terrible for so many. I read a man died today when he was swept away from his car.

From my niece's photo of the Richmond NSW bridge yesterday I would say that it is now underwater. It's been amazing watching the water slowly creep up from her photos on FB

Stay safe everyone affected by the floods.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Event total 81mm so far for me, so again we've been spared the worst of the rain compared to many others.
I think it needs to be said that recognition is due to the members on this forum who were onto this event over a week ago, giving warnings, long before the BOM or other relevant authorities were, good job folks!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Is this article about today ( sunday)or is this yesterday?
Its dated today?
The army in shepparton to help woth sandbaging!! today

Victoria braces for gale-force winds, more rain

THE public is being asked to avoid driving through Victoria's north-east as the region braces for more flooding today.

Up to 100 millimetres of rain is predicted to fall on top of the 200mm already dumped this week, while strong winds are also expected to lash the high country.

State Emergency Service state control centre spokeswoman Kim Payne said hundreds of roads were expected to be closed this weekend and the SES has already had to rescue five people from cars.

"We're asking people to avoid travelling through northeast Victoria this weekend if possible because it will be a bit tricky," she said.

The SES received 20 requests for assistance overnight, she said.

The townships of Tallygaroopna, Tungamah and Katamatite - north of Shepparton - have been the worst affected so far and and could remain isolated for several days, she said.

Major towns of concern on Saturday are Albury, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Myrtleford, Bright and Yarrawonga.

In Gippsland there is a major flood warning for the Snowy River catchment with rain forecast above 100mm.

The State Emergency Service has deployed 30,000 sandbags to the region.

The army has sent 35 soldiers and six trucks to Shepparton ahead of the expected deluge, with the troops helping to ferry sandbags, food and water to stricken residents.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/vi ... z1LuBHNooy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Surprisingly very humid outside! 23°C with a dew point of 19°C! 80% humidity... Is this right? It does feel quite steamy and you can see the water evaporating from the ground and fence! :)
Go the bombersss!