Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC Trough, Heat, Showers, Thunderstorms, etc Feb 15-22 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: VIC Trough, Heat, Showers, Thunderstorms, etc Feb 15-22

Post by Rivergirl »

Done Rikki! That would have been quite scary Chris :shock:
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

18mm here, evidently one of the highest in the state today. First time we've been the lucky ones all summer, I guess it's true that everyone gets their luck some day :D
b
blackmamba
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by blackmamba »

I've had nothing so far, again. :(
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Its coming!! If Only I had a good camera to show you what was in our path!!! And I am home alone :S Sounds nasty and there is lightning EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Radar looks good but nothing to measure as yet.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Twiggy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:16 pm wrote:
Twiggy wrote:Its coming!! If Only I had a good camera to show you what was in our path!!! And I am home alone :S Sounds nasty and there is lightning EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
Tell us how you go when its finished Twiggy! :D
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Had some more thundery activity around us again today for about one hour this arvo
saw the cell over near Tiggy's place area in serpentine. From our perspective it looked like an eerie very heavy mist. Almost fog like.
We heard lots of rumbles but didn't see any bolts. Thought we got about 1mm of rain from the edge of storm cell. Very nice moisture for awhile that dampened the ground
However the rain gauge said we had nothing.. :? ground is dry once again. It was great while it lasted
Also saw very dark clouds over near Maryborough so l assume they got something
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Possibly one of the strangest days weather I can remember! Dull, murky and humid start, and so it remained until just after midday when without any change to the sky - booming thunder and then a torrential downpour out of nowhere! Had a look at the radar and the tiniest of red cells had appeared just west of the Dandenongs and crossed right over the top of us. Then back to dull murk for another hour with massive booming thunder to our north, and then - blue sky and warm sunshine for the rest of the afternoon, with the whole northern horizon filled with cumulonimbus. 8.25mm recorded here in quick time, not quite what I was expecting given the BOM's forecast of "mostly dry after clearing early shower". :roll:
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

hey Harley ::( Was a Fizzer.... struck in Serpentine about 10 ks south :S We got the thunder and lightning, but... again no rain.
Lots of noise!
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Twiggy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm wrote:
Twiggy wrote:hey Harley ::( Was a Fizzer.... struck in Serpentine about 10 ks south :S We got the thunder and lightning, but... again no rain.
Lots of noise!
Oh, darn it!! What's it like up there? Must be looking quite dry I imagine :|
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Really nice development this arvo around here, nice crisp CB's with some nice lightning and thunder, no rain here though. Clouds had an almost winter look about them today and must have been damn humid with the atmosphere having a foggy look about it. All in all nice to get some flash and bang when you don't expect it. :D

Rhino. :) :)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

2mm here yesterday, 2.3mm today. Very cool and damp here today and quite a contrast coming home from Melbourne where the sun actually came out in the mid to late afternoon but back home it was gloomy with low cloud and wet ground.

It's incredible how much everything has greened up pretty much overnight after just 4.3mm. All the creeks here are running quite vigorously, mainly thanks to heavier rain falling up the mountain with recent events which is feeding the catchment.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Geoff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 pm wrote:
Geoff wrote:Possibly one of the strangest days weather I can remember! Dull, murky and humid start, and so it remained until just after midday when without any change to the sky - booming thunder and then a torrential downpour out of nowhere! Had a look at the radar and the tiniest of red cells had appeared just west of the Dandenongs and crossed right over the top of us. Then back to dull murk for another hour with massive booming thunder to our north, and then - blue sky and warm sunshine for the rest of the afternoon, with the whole northern horizon filled with cumulonimbus. 8.25mm recorded here in quick time, not quite what I was expecting given the BOM's forecast of "mostly dry after clearing early shower". :roll:
Yeah, it was a weird weather day. Heard thunder but it didn't look stormy and it poured down heavily at times after 2pm. Only started to feel the humidity after that.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

We had a down pour yesterday midday.
very welcome drop was shocked to see my dust was actually wet this morning..
Seemed to be more than what my WS was saying, although I wasnt home when it happened..