Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day

Post by mick »

Looking back at all the available sat pics from NOAA and others, Ive never seen such intense storms form so quickly before. We used to get all our changes and storms from the s/w, last 15 years or so they have come from the n/w, now we are getting more troughs than anything else.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Some more pics from Xmas day

Structure that was seen to the SE later in the day

Daytime CG

This was interesting as a clear slot was appearing with a rotating updraft that was tightening

Sunset with towering CB directly overhead

Hope thats not to many, they are not huge file sizes
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Anyone else see this Photo from The Herald-Sun, Funnel cloud in Oakleigh.
Attachments
25-12-11 Funnel cloud - Oakleigh.jpg
25-12-11 Funnel cloud - Oakleigh.jpg (57.41 KiB) Viewed 9217 times
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I did. wondered where it had come from. Someone mentioned in an earlier post of a possible tornado near Doreen. I noticed on radar a sus looking hook around that area, so I saved it.
Peter
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hi hanstormchaser, welcome :D No, no pics have surfaced here, that's what we're all waiting on!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Hi, I'm just new on this forum and found this topic interesting. I live in Templestowe and was taking some photos of it while it went pass. You can look at them here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 980&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's a mix of photos from a phone and camera.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Evening all,

Clyve and I left Geelong (after rushing out from Christmas lunch) about 3.30pm and headed up towards the Fiskville area. Have put a shot here to give you an idea of what we saw and reported to the BoM and the rest of the images are on the linked pages below.

Shot taken east of Fiskville looking west
381801_2433098508440_1280978498_32262889_763383738_n.jpg
381801_2433098508440_1280978498_32262889_763383738_n.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
Compilation couresy of Paul Graham
396384_10150443373527779_654462778_8624322_376285448_n.jpg
396384_10150443373527779_654462778_8624322_376285448_n.jpg (158.05 KiB) Viewed 9143 times
Rest of the images including funnels and hail from the Fiskville area on these pages....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 47efa02d60
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1e34f08d9f

That's what you call a storm!!!!!

Jane & Clyve
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

MAGNIFICENT JANE & CLYVE! :woooo: Now please submit to Herald Sun so they can use some proper photos? lol
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Hey All,

Just letting you know I have finished my chase report from the 24th and 25th. It's in the Storm Chasing Forum:

http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... =23&t=1478

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Cheers,

Nate
Severe Weather Enthusiast
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

If you haven't already done so, it's well worth everyone having a look in the stormchasing forum at Greensyboy's beautifully detailed report and photos/videos (link above in his post) as well as the thread relating to this event http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 746#p66746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great work everyone, really impressive. Talented bunch of people we have here :D
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Okay, I'm after opinions on this pic below. I finally went through all my photos of my local area, which missed out on the main action (thankfully i guess). there was a time where the rain went from coming straight down from a northerly direction and then the wind picked up and shifted it from the east and horizontal.

There is one picture that caught my attention and I can't get over looking at it. Funnel/s or not? My mind is open. But it did look weird when I was looking at it.As I said, I'm after opinions on this one please.
Attachments
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG (135.97 KiB) Viewed 9015 times
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to everyone on their excellent photos and reporting!!! What an amazing event. Thoughts to all those who have damage to contend with on what should be a festive time.

I have been down at Flinders on the MP since the 22nd Dec, but made a quick trip up to Melb Christmas night for Boxing Day. Things have been pretty busy here and I haven't had much of a chance to get to the laptop to find out the low down...mostly had the phone, but it's too hard to surf the net with constantly!

Christmas Eve down here we were treated to about a 10 hour intermittent storms through the night....for which I only had about 2 hours sleep. We were treated to some very close flangs, but not terribly much rain. The lightning was flashing about every 3 seconds at one point. Thankfully, Santa managed to avoid being struck and made it down the chimney ;-)

Earlier in the day I was watching the explosive development towards the NE, which one member (can't remember who it was exactly...my apologies!) photographed from Phillip Island. I attempted too, but was just a tad too far away from here to get any good pics. Awesome to watch, none the less!

Christmas Day I checked the radar when I could and was astounded at what I saw...I think we all were! At about 5:30 a storm developed out in Bass Strait which had me out photographing it. We were under the anvil shield from the storms affecting Melbourne, which included a lovely Mammatus display. I only saw 1 CG from the storm in Bass Strait, but it was rumbling away and there was also greenage in the clouds. I'll attempt to get some photos up at some stage...but I'm finding myself trying to entertain 4 kids at the moment, and not having much time to do anything for myself.

We left Flinders around 7pm in bright sunshine, but headed into the unknown under the HUGE anvil, which still had updraughts towards the west. A few distant CG's were observed while we went through Frankston, but once on Eastlink we were treated to a gorgeous backlit hail shaft with a rainbow, as well as a couple of CG's. The torrential rain hit at the Monash interchange with huge drops, and then continued to rumble away until after 10pm.

Home escaped any sort of damage (no hail) and ended up with 29mm. Hopefully I'll have some photos up soon..ish.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Ooooops! CFA Tanker from Research is in a bit of strife for driving through some very deep flood waters on Christmas Day.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some other footage of the flooding:

[youtube]v36W9ATw4_4[/youtube]
p
phunkster
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by phunkster »

Just got back from time away with my better half and thought I'd share a few photos we took on xmas eve from Mentone beach. We also headed out on xmas day, narrowly missed out on being hailed on in Coldstream and ended up enjoying a cg barrage on top of the shoppingtown car park.

Anyone else see the dragon spitting the twin bolts out?

H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Rather than post each of my selection of photos from Christmas Day (there are 66 just as a shortlist and that excludes panos!) and ruin the bandwidth here is a link to my facebook album. Any requests for specific pics to be posted in larger format here let me know:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 9fb4745608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brad.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Best picture of the Christmas day storms I've ever seen! It's just amazing! " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Lol I just saw these off the Victorian Thunderstorms 2011-12 Facebook page and didn't notice that Brad Hannon the owner of this photo posted the link to his album before in this thread. I recommend that you check out his photos of the Christmas Day storms. They're just awesome! :-D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Phunkster, lol @ the dragon, sure does look like it. Brad, what can I say - you've outdone yourself!
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Love the dragon shot! thanks for the comments.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Great shots, phunkster! Nice colors and good composition, well done!
p
phunkster
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by phunkster »

Thanks for the comments, it's photos on this forum from the likes of Hamlan, Meso and the rest that made me want to get a camera in the first place. Fingers crossed that something crosses the bay again tonight :D