Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Potential showers/storms - 21st Dec to Boxing Day

Post by Anthony Violi »

Problem is Mick as johnno pointed out, Airport is only 24.6 degrees, so when they start to angle in against the resistance they get torn apart when they hit the cooler temps. As opposed to Scoresby, seabreeze has been in for hours but its still 30 degrees so convection still bubbling away and eventually should drop.

Still early as its only 3 oclock, one wonders what may happen overnight with this sort of atmosphere, surely it wouldnt be able to hold it.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

It is getting lower on the radar, it is more southerly on the last frame.

I can see the top of the anvils that are traveling easterly. From the North West and South East, it looks like Santa Sleigh!
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The temperature is only 22C here (after reaching 31.6C for a maximum) but it is quite active and solid rain now. It has more to do with the convergence boundary than the actual temperature of the air. If you are within a 20km buffer of the line of convergence then you will be under threat from storms even if the southerlies are established.

GFS firm on instability increasing into the evening and continuing for an hour or two into nightfall.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Wired sky to the N, been this way for 30 mins? Really dark!!!! Matamus cloud as well!
Go the bombersss!
o
oz1235
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by oz1235 »

4:15pm

32.5 Deg C and 55% Humidity

Light sea brezzes has stopped here.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Need to keep an eye on that cell near Flowerdale, big black core seems to have a bit of a hook signal to it.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Is that thunder? Yes! Matamus clouds above, but no signs on rain on the radar!
Go the bombersss!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Nasty supercell SE of Broadford, in the middle of nowhere luckily. The potential is there for a tornado and very large hail in that cell, and it is close to stationary so extreme flash flooding possible as well. There's nothing much out there though if you look at the map and it is heading roughly in the direction of remote forested hills.
T
TheFishmanAU
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by TheFishmanAU »

nafets » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:38 pm wrote:
nafets wrote:Is that thunder? Yes! Matamus clouds above, but no signs on rain on the radar!
I thought I can hear something in Eaglemont/Ivanhoe East. A faint rumble.
@The_FishmanAU is all I need to say.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Down at Phillip Island, been watching those cells Ne of here go up and anvil out over and over again. Impressive to watch the rapid rate that the convection is exploding.

Few pics...

Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Any reports from up Bendigo way? Am I missing anything or is just random sparks? Doesn't look overly organized on radar, but the radar has always been a bit dodgy around there.
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Crazy weird here...... thunder all around, it keeps dropping in temp then rising, suns out, just had a shower and still 35 deg. It has that feeling that something is going to explode!
Though, i have been checking out the Weatherzone site.... wish Santa and his reindeer would stop popping up on the screen!!!
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

unreal here we have a LP storm over head, no rain at all, lightning & thunder galore, quite loud too. Awesome, looks like it is ramping up
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
T
Twiggy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Twiggy »

Meso » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:54 pm wrote:
Meso wrote:Any reports from up Bendigo way? Am I missing anything or is just random sparks? Doesn't look overly organized on radar, but the radar has always been a bit dodgy around there.
Few rumbles of thunder, bit of a shower, suun is still out and looking interesting. That's 65 ks north of Bendigo. :D Very Random!!!!
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Meso » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:54 pm wrote:
Meso wrote:Any reports from up Bendigo way? Am I missing anything or is just random sparks? Doesn't look overly organized on radar, but the radar has always been a bit dodgy around there.
ATM its random lighting strikes( not too many) and thunder and convection all round, but high based. And its Hot !!
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

Love those structure shots, Meso - especially nice with the beach and water in the foreground.
East Camberwell - storm free zone
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

Interesting stuff alright, was just over in Trentham, watched the thing develop to my SW, bit of rumbles and a decent quick shower, drove back to Wooded through lightish rain, and still more thunder, then big flash and thunder just to my RHS before we went over the rail line.

Thunder all around in Woodend and the lights went a bit dim for a while but hardly any rain, still thunder in the distance now but clearing up here at the moment, still muggy as though.
g
greensyboy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by greensyboy »

Well,

That was a great chase for me. Started in Kangaroo Ground around 2pm, decided to head for Craigieburn. Almost there and changed our mind to head north to Wallan. At the time radar signature looked quite tame so a core punch should be safe. Purposely positioned ourselves in the middle of it just as it intensified (unbeknown to us). Ended up driving through what felt like a microburst, small hail, huge drops of rain, plus wind blowing everything off the trees (I managed to ignore the heads up from AUS_Twisted!) Hopefully got some great pics of greenage before we drove through it (and after come to think of it).
Got to Wallan South and got out and videoed lightning for about 10 minutes, great flangs all over. Then headed home only to find out what that cell did later on!
Was pretty epic inside, almost white out conditions at times. Best chase to date.

Will looks through the pics and video and post some later if any are worthwhile. Definitely a great way to spend Christmas Eve!
Severe Weather Enthusiast
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Storm clouds have slipped to the east of here so not expecting anything for the rest of today unless nightfall induces something.

Very uncomfortable day, and it almost got to 40degC in the Mallee. Nice drop of 18mm at Kilmore Gap though.
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

about to go off like a frog in a sock!

rumble rumble

radar is showing this thing is a monster heading towards us!!
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!