Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria- Ex TC Olga's remnants - Rain - 3rd to 6th Feb 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria- Ex TC Olga's remnants - Rain - 3rd to 6th Feb 2010

Post by I_Love_Storms »

The band up north thickening up and slowly making its way down here! :D

Looking a lot better now, line all the way from Tatura to Healesville starting to deliver now north to south, should start breaking out south soon.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Petros, you are keeping us going at the moment.
Hope you can score a quick 10mm or so with a bit of snap, crackle & pop.
Things on the increase for central areas. Another hour or so to analyse what may/may not happen but some N/S streams are starting to develop.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Those snaps before still look similar out there but have gone deep dark blue purple, the missus said it looks like "war of the worlds" out there, people down the street standing out looking to the N apprehensively. Muffled thunder and infrequent sheet lightning inching closer with a steady S breeze feeding into the (getting closer) scud clouds some 5km's to our N. Dogs got the hackles up and I'm thinking of grabbing another beer! :lighting: :lighting: :lighting:

Even if it misses us by slipping across our N from the E, the most slow threatening build up to a storm I'v ever seen in Maffra. :hasta:
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

The ants are not interested in this system here. But I am walking to work at 6am tomorrow, will belting down for sure.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Heavy shower, large drops. Very tropical, may as well be in Darwin with a monsoon trough. :D
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

The nocturnal cooling might turn this thing on properly, a bit like that convergence event we saw with 50mm in Melbourne a few months back.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

firestorm wrote:5.4mm so far which has been good but not much in the last few hours pretty sure tonight will be in for some good rain and a few flashes and rumbles fingers crossed anyway :D currently overcast and very very humid very Queensland like weather an surf atm so im happy with the waves at present :partymany: :hangloose:
Yeah but where are you??? Dosent mean much to us others. :?:
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

:wave:

Hi Olga, Welcome to Berwick. I hope you will be staying for a while, after all you have travelled from afar and in need of a well earned rest. If you are looking for something to do whilst you are here, I can recommend a visit up to the Thomson Dam.

Can I please ask that you take a break between 4pm and 7pm tomorrow night as my boys have a game of cricket.

I trust you will enjoy you stay and I look forward to seeing you again next year, in fact come again every year.

Lots of Love...

Back on topic :)

Sky clearing to my North West and very dark out past Pakenham.
22.6C / 18.2C / 77% / 4.5mm and almost no wind.

On another note, I am yet to see (kill) a white tail spider this summer. They are non existent. Huntsmans yes, whitetails no. Perhaps another sign this thing is finally breaking.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Very heavy mid level "eye-brow" looming in over the town from the N, and the first odd rain splatts landing, lighting/distant thunder have stopped last 10 min, so will be rain only (if anything). :rainfall:
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Don't know how things will go tonight, I'll probably be to far west for anything to happen, actually a great sunset at the moment so obviously clearing. The radar looked great this arvo aswell and got 5mm so don't know if watching that is the answer either. Will put this done to experience I think; don't estimate heavy rainfall until it's in your guage. :grumpy: Should have known nothing would happen as soon as the BOM issued the flash flood warning. :roll:

Rhino. :) :)
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just when all quiet, rain didnt persist either, one bright yellow dot flashed in the N sky and 8 seconds later a huge bomb like clap vibrated over the muggy town. Impressed me, given the distance away and still only sheet lighting from this perspective.

Hackles are well and truly up on the dog.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

EC may be right after all. Looks to me like most of the interaction between the trough and the moisture will be east of Melbourne. The trough itself is producing little more than isolated showers atm. Very nervous period of time now for here. Make or break.
S
Sharon
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sharon »

On another note, I am yet to see (kill) a white tail spider this summer. They are non existent. Huntsmans yes, whitetails no. Perhaps another sign this thing is finally breaking.

I guess I am showing my ignorance here, but what have the spiders got to do with the weather?? Or vice versa??

I have had more huntsmans recently (yuck) but also had some white tails.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

A change in weather usually brings the spiders and other insects out.
During prolonged dry spells (and after heavy rainfall) will you notice more spiders inside.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Had a massive white tailed spider in the shower the other week. They are always around regardless of the weather. They like to hide in dark places so the best way to stop them from coming into your house is make sure there are no clothes lying around on the floor or anything else where they can hide, and always check under the bed sheets every night because they sometimes lurk in your bed.

I'm not writing anything off by any means, but I certainly hope this systen doesn't end up another in what's becoming a decent list of rain events that BOM jinx by issuing a flash flood warning. :roll:
Last edited by droughtbreaker on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Insects tend to do some crazy things and head for cover when there is impending rainfall and storms. Mick will elaborate for sure, more of an expert than me.

I really don't know what is going to happen with this system. It looks definitely on for the dams with solid falls there which is excellent. Eildon copping a torrential storm which again is a plus.

Melbourne IMO is on the cusp. I cannot understand why, and I am not really suggesting that this is the final answer. It is all so confusing that I think we are just going to have to sit this out.

That band coming in from the north will drop 20-40mm but where it lay - is anyones guess.

SW change moving up the bay.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

Really worried here in Bendigo. Looks like the action is either side of us. May not be the night i was hoping for....fingers crossed!

5mm for event so far.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

always check under the bed sheets every night because they sometimes lurk in your bed.
Grrrrreat, Karl & I won't sleep tonight after reading that :lol: Sharon, I used to live up at Cockatoo and I swear the hunstmen up there were the biggest, nastiest, hairiest spiders I've ever seen, especially in the woodshed :shock: We call this weather "spider weather" in our house lol.

I've had just under 5mm here now today, bit less than what I expected. EC is now suggesting 10mm over the next three hours with only a few more mm to come through the rest of the night and into the morning.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

That trough looks like it will move east quicker than the rain in the nth will move south, if that makes sense. :? The trough will push that rain further east, and as Karl said the Thompson and catchments will get a good drink. Wish the trough stalled further west, but I got good rain on the weekend so I can't complain but certainly a "what could have been system" by the looks.

Rhino. :) :)
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

It is going to have to go off, can't be this humid without a big result. Radar slowly looking better and better, I have renewed confidence we will have a night long rain event with embedded isolated storms :D

I still think the trough will stall overnight.

Edit: I believe it's starting now, heavy rain will begin in metro area within the hour. I see where you guys are coming from though, if this trough doesn't stall/the band doesn't back build, we won't get much over the next few hours after this main band.
Last edited by I_Love_Storms on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.