Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th November

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 6th-10th Novemb

Post by apocalypse »

Amazing pics of one of the storms over Melbourne!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo- ... 213?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

Meso » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 pm wrote:
Meso wrote:Great photos everyone! Lots of nice shelf clouds.!

Steve, good to see you back on the horse! And in style too, thats a cracker! Wish I could get some coastal storm shots...

Apocalypse, that looks mean as! Nice catch with the hungry sign lol

My little chase was pretty uneventful, went out past Inglewood and all I could find was a structureless mess, nothing like the photos being posted here. Had storms merging from the north and south of me and I think that pretty much killed all the structure and features. Should have gone further north in hindsight, but oh well.

Got one shot to salvage the trip. Nothing special and a pretty boring landscape, but always good to capture a bolt!

Amazing shot Meso! Loving the pink lightning! :D
e
eegs
Cumulus
Reactions:
Location: Live - Westernport, Holiday - Mansfield, Work - Nth Qld, Cent Qld, Sth Qld, Sunraysia

Post by eegs »

Yep. That's an awesome image Floydlove. And a great event for the catchments as well.
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

apocalypse » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:39 pm wrote:
apocalypse wrote:Amazing pics of one of the storms over Melbourne!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo- ... 213?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:sccary: @ that greenage!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

What an eventful evening!!!!!!!!!! The first Carrum cell just skirted me here in Keysborough & I thought the second cell would too as I headed out to pick my daughter up from her dancing lesson - I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Certainly the weather looked nasty around me as I was driving but didn't think I'd get caught in anything. Arrive just before 7pm to collect my daughter just sitting in my car waiting when clouds started swirling in from all directions & within 30 seconds it was black as night. Never seen anything like it! Super intense torrential rain, hail that felt like someone was throwing rocks at my car & lightning going off like a strobe. It was epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Well what a bloody brilliant day. Apart from the mainly tree damage around my area and other areas I'd suspect it lived up to expectations. Was always going to be a day where big things were going to develop and did'nt dissapoint for most. Personally never been so scared of my property being damaged by a storm as I was today and going by reports around my area was damn lucky to come out reasonably unscathed. Will have to fix up my 2x2m shed, the back end popped out like a balloon from wind hitting it and gave a real crack and I thought some roofing iron had popped off. Colourbond fence started to bow and just about lost it but thankfully wind eased just in time and seems ok.
Great photos by all. Tried to get some before everything happened but no good. Will head towards Newstead tommorow to get some damage shots for my own reference but I think Jane and Clive got some between here and Newstead to show everyone from Jane's earlier post. :D

Rhino. :) :)
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

My fav shot from my collection tonight

Click for bigger version
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

That's a ripper, wolf! Love the perspective.
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Well we got 20mm+ and plenty of lightning here, just sat back and enjoyed it. Our great dane didn't tho, he gets a little protectve with storms. Now have 8 pages of this thread to catch up with.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Far less rain than I was expecting. It's cleared out to the east very quickly.
windyrob
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by windyrob »

Fantastic photos everyone. Here are a couple I managed to snap from my back yard in yarra glen.
1st melboune storm

2nd beast where it looks like the top was overshooting in a couple of spots.

and our little storm that came through as the light was fading

Happy to not me in the firing line of todays monsters!
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WWWWOOOOOOWWWWW

Was out on the halls gap storms and WOW Chased them from the NE all the way to MElbourne and all i can say is WOW

The cells over insane Halls gap were insane Massive MAssive Concevtion and cells was unreal and they were putting out amazing wall clouds and sure i saw a tornado at one stage but way to far away and more likely scud but it was amazing
Then got smashed by the cell loads of flooding rain and hail from 5c to $1 size and there was loads of it to Insane lowering s under the inflow it was just nuts and the structure was out of this world was like the plains

Hoping can link some pics up for you on Friday

Followed these storms to MELB were they just exploded even more was unreal to watch and the hail shafts on the back edge were awesome to see.

Best day and I am going to Miss Vic So much

Got Insane convection overshooting tops quite a few impressive wall clouds Loads of hail AND THE TREE DAMAGE OMG So many large trees down over the roads had to stop a few times to clear roads Massive tree litter and loads and loads of Hail it was unreal
Now Living in Wet QLD
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

EPIC DAY... one of my top 10 storm days!! :D

A brief summary of my day (footage to come on my future website)...

I was out for much of the day, went to see Love Never Dies at the Regent Theatre as stated yesterday.

Nice sunrise with a couple of rainbows in the morning, followed by showers up until about miday... initially declared today a write-off until I saw the satellite pics before I left for the City, was very sultry and windy from lunchtime onwards :P

Returned home via Moorabbin and Endeavour Hills, got to photograph and film the two supercells that slammed into the southwest and southeast suburbs before the main thundery rainband developed over Melbourne... I am still lost for words at the sight of the storm structure :o

Supercell number 1 (hit Meredith at about 5:18PM and the Frankston area at about 6:30PM according to the radar) was kinda like a volcanic eruption... HUGE, rocksolid updrafts exploding, before a rotating wall cloud came into view, could easily have dropped a tornado; this storm must've been a good 12,000 metres high, inpressive anvil, and I even spotted a few intracloud lightning flashes :)

Supercell number 2 (which followed close behind Supercell number 1) had 'black' sprayed all over it (both on radar and on its visual appearance)... I spent about 10 minutes at a lookout in Endeavour Hills watching this cell approach around 7PM, a massive shelf cloud was approaching so quickly I had to dash back to the car, on the way home the sky above me turned pitch dark, lightning activity increases, blustery winds all around, greenage develops as torrential rain and possible hail envelops the landscape, animals going crazy... :o

Thankfully the storm missed my area, otherwise it could've been a repeat of March 6 2010; anyway, come 7:30PM the thundery rainband develops, bringing spectacular lightning and a very insane downpour, 30mm so far in my gauge :)

Great to see some amazing supercell action, on top of previous events this season such as September 28 and October 28... fingers crossed for the rest of the season ahead :)

:woooo: :wave: :thumbsup: :applause: :cheers: :peaceout: :affro: :guitar: :mexicanwave:
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Great reports and fantastic pics guys. The developing second cell which crossed the bay was one of the most fascinating I've seen. The sheer size of it and having a full, un interupted profile view was gob smacking! Here's a couple shots with the phone...great day!
Attachments
Elwood beach 3.png
Elwood beach 3.png (561.86 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Elwood beach2.png
Elwood beach2.png (426.99 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Elwood beach.png
Elwood beach.png (552.96 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

windyrob » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 pm wrote:
windyrob wrote:Fantastic photos everyone. Here are a couple I managed to snap from my back yard in yarra glen.
1st melboune storm

Happy to not me in the firing line of todays monsters!
That is one fantastic photo - really captures the size of that monster and how dangerous it looked! I can only imagine what chaos went down when that hit!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Awesome pics and reports everyone. What a day! I watched the first two storm fronts slide past the Docklands over the bay. Sounds like you had an epic day Twister and aussiestormfreak, glad it worked out for you. Thought about you on the way home from the city tonight when I saw a poster for Love Never Dies :)

Greenage!

n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Looked like a great day :) ! Not the best but some more photo's from the Carrum storm, in Carrum (the 4th photo is my favourite): http://www.flickr.com/photos/58174898@N ... 963139509/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Didn't completely miss out today with all the storms! Today i encountered some of the heaviest and longest lasting heavy rain i've ever seen, not to meanting the constant thunder and lightning. All the roads were flooded, gutters overflowing for close to an hour and a half :o ! Wrecked my trip to Taormina and Messina when we had to come back. All the rivers there were raging torrents, and one of the river's burst its banks and flooded areas!!! Reports of 80 - 100mm there! On the way back when i thought everything was over, it seemed a quite nice storm had formed! Will post some photo's soon!
Go the bombersss!
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Photo's of the storm i was talking about: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58174898@N ... 964936731/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go the bombersss!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

amazing pics, not too much rain here thankfully. Lots for the Eildon catchment, i want to see 100%!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Well that was a fun evening wasn't it? Another 18.5mm from the rainband after the storms gives me a total of 44mm yesterday. :)
MTD is 70mm.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180