Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Showers & Possible Storms Oct 5-9 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
e
eddie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: VIC - Showers & Possible Storms Oct 5-9 2011

Post by eddie »

What a couple of wet days, must be cricket season :D :(

Was quite suprised to get a bit of thunder and lightning after our heaviest shower around 5pm tonight, it looked pretty clear but was flashing and rumbling away as it moved towards the Dandenongs
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's a few lightning pics from the cell SW earlier when it was dieing down that was moving north and had a black core on radar, I'll post some better structure shots taken before these soon.

Edit: Here's some structure shots taken before the lightning ones, these are at 20mm (waiting to get my 17-85mm lens back from Canon) I didn't have time to get closer (plus crappy road options), this cell from the SW kinda came out no where and I wasn't south far enough to track it

Same shot cropped

4 shots later

100mm, was trying to get close up of the lowering which had pulled up so changed to longer exposure for lightning

Edit: Added this small time lapse animation shot between these 2 lightning shots, this is 9 photos shot at 6 sec exposure in continuous shooting mode. Shot 1: 7:02:38 PM Shot 9: 7:04:08 PM

20mm cropped a little, the whole thing was becoming a mess now and I had rain falling on me the whole time

20mm cropped a bit again, this was a bit further back east trying to get out of the rain which was hopeless as the whole sky was getting heavier towards dark
Last edited by AUS_Twisted on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Nice pictures Aus_Twisted...

So whats on the cards for tomorrow, anything?
fortius quo fidelius
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

About 24mm from two thunderstorms yesterday, checked the driveway entrance and found this...
Two storms = no way in!
Two storms = no way in!
PICT0257.JPG (92.11 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
Have been out and repaired the damage, so visitors this afternoon can drive in safely! :D
Very murky, misty and dripping wet up here, really need a bit of sun to dry things up a bit, here's hoping!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

what is going to happen today isn't certain. If the sun gets out and cooks the rather wet ground, things could get interesting again especially on the hills but tomorrow should see areas of rain come with a cool change.

very calm and overcast, sun trying to get through. Heavy humid air again.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

There is actually a line of nice CU bubbling away to my WNW. could turn into something, some of them have some nice height to them. Not rock solid updraughts, look more cold air like for the moment.
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

rikjpool » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:25 am wrote:
rikjpool wrote:There is actually a line of nice CU bubbling away to my WNW. could turn into something, some of them have some nice height to them. Not rock solid updraughts, look more cold air like for the moment.
Yeah I noticed this too, the cu went up early this moring, nice conditons for development.. 19.1 deg 54% humdity, baro 1012 hpa. Might get a isolated storm or two up here.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Most of the instability has moved on to the east today and a weak high pressure ridge has moved in. Atmosphere is very moist with a lot of SCu clogging the skies. Another 10mm or so in the gauge (still need to check properly) with the evening rainfall that followed the afternoon showers. All up we got about 23mm or thereabouts yesterday which is around double what nearby rainfall stations recorded, so there was definitely some isolated heavier stuff in amongst it.

Tomorrow has been severely downgraded by the models. Just some light rain on the cards now during the morning. The front has been washed out more or less but the residual moisture in the atmosphere and cool southerlies should ensure some additional rainfall for most of us.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

We have sunshine, yessss! :sun: :sun: :sun: :banana: :mexicanwave: :flower: :brightbanana: :banana:
A wet party was never going to be much fun!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

A little cell has developed on Mt Macedon by the radar, will have to see if it devlops more.

3mm here Yesterday and past fwew days takes me to 19mm for October 46mm away from the average (65mm)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice little cell has developed near Werribee moving in a general NE direction
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

3mm here past few days. 19mm for the month 46mm away from the average (65mm Oct)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Geoff we just haven't had that much rain here. Last night at 10.30pm it rained for about a minute. It's all getting drumped on Olinda :) Glad you got that driveway fixed up ;) Steve, wonderful pics there, love the lightning so close and the time lapse. Aussiestormfreak sounds like you had a good stormchase. I thought about Ridge Road at about the time you were there. Sounds like Sky high was a washout. If you ever want to put pics up here I can show you how to do it, it's easy. We have our own photobucket album you can upload to.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Cell gone up to west of Seymour
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Quite a bit of uplift happening now with some significant towers around, so the instability has hung around in central areas which the models successfully predicted. Pressure on the way down now too.

Just had a brief shower with large drops.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Huge towers have gone up pretty much all day but have dropped little rain? They all seem like they're trying in the Melbourne area but are not really making it for some reason?

A beautiful storm you captured there AUS_Twisted! Really love the time lapse - it looks awesome!

Cheers, Cam
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

flatcam » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:59 pm wrote:
flatcam wrote:Huge towers have gone up pretty much all day but have dropped little rain? They all seem like they're trying in the Melbourne area but are not really making it for some reason?

A beautiful storm you captured there AUS_Twisted! Really love the time lapse - it looks awesome!

Cheers, Cam
probs because we are a bit too far away from a trigger which is in NSW. But a cell with a red core has developed near Ballarat. Also cells popping up in a line near Broadford and Heathcote. So some cells got up today.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Thanks for the answer - a lot of action up there by the looks of it. A massive increase in activity in Melbourne now! Rain starting here for the first time today and some red-cored cells popping up!

Could get interesting :D

Cheers, Cam
h
heatherjoan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by heatherjoan »

Had a couple of cells that looked to have potential pop up nearby, so we went for a drive. Not a lot eventuated, except getting caught in a heavy but thankfully short downpour when the learner driver was at the wheel. At least we clocked up some more driving time.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

I was in Heathcote this afternoon and caught the edge of a rainstorm around 3pm. Completely dry back in Bendigo. Rainfall in past 6 days - 0mm.