Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Series of cut off lows/troughs 29th July- 9th August 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Series of cut off lows/troughs 29th July- 9th August 201

Post by tizza »

Big band of rain coming into the far SE reaches of Melbourne, should be an interesting day for us. We don't often get areas of rain from the SE like the East Coast does. I wonder if it will be as intense?
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

About 3 months ago, I dug my backyard flat ready to put some crushed rock and paving down. It was 2.5meters wide, 22 meters long, and 15centimeters deep. I still need to move the 3 drainage points and cut them of at the ground. I have almost constantly now, for the last 3 months had a lap pool as a backyard. It was just about dry enough to start moving the drainage and start putting the crushed rock in, and then we got 22mm last night. And its full again... Agh!! Hahah
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

water frontage! or is it backage? people would pay $$$$$ for it!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

wet and grey here, everything is boggy again, just when it was starting to firm up again!
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

A week ago I thought we were going to be lucky to get 10mm. I have to eat my words....

29mm for the event so far. Still drizzling. :D
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Water Backage... and that is the most direct acess to the backyard pretty much, so we cant use it for the last 3 months... Well springs around the corner, we might be able to get it done then i suppose. haha
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

rikjpool » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am wrote:
rikjpool wrote:About 3 months ago, I dug my backyard flat ready to put some crushed rock and paving down. It was 2.5meters wide, 22 meters long, and 15centimeters deep. I still need to move the 3 drainage points and cut them of at the ground. I have almost constantly now, for the last 3 months had a lap pool as a backyard. It was just about dry enough to start moving the drainage and start putting the crushed rock in, and then we got 22mm last night. And its full again... Agh!! Hahah
I may use it in a few weeks when I return lol!! :P

Further rain over much of the state today, up to 5mm again over the ranges east of Ballarat and then 10-25mm through much of south central and up to 100mm in E VIC. Thomson dam could get upwards of 70-100mm.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

For crying out loud BOM how about a "A flood watch" for Gippsland ?????? Catchments are wet there after consistant heavy rain all Year there especially in West and South Gippsland coming off the back of a cut off low 2 weeks ago.. You can't say there be widespread 50mm falls through Gippsland Today as you just did on the radio then not have a flood watch there... Not good enough
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Agree. Bairnsdale radar looks ominous.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Another rather pathetic 1.5mm during the past 24 hours at home to take our massive monthly total to 5mm! Sometimes you have just got to laugh. :laughing:

South East is going to get a good drink today going by the radar.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

BOM must of seen our comments in here they have finally decided to issue a flood watch for Gippsland
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Very light drizzle here in McKinnon at the moment.

Just got a big gumtree chopped down yesterday and have about 5 cubic metres of mulch ready to go on the garden, might
wait until tomorrow now! 8-)
P
Pane
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pane »

G'day

Starting to look like it's splitting round the city

Cheers
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Well it had to come, the thing thats starnge about this system is that it destroyed the oncoming system, and then forced it NW into SA and gave the Mallee a soaking in the process.

Now after 2 or 3 days doing not much its cranking and pushing West nicely, as Johnno said dams will be slaughtered and West and South Gippsland underwater, even East Gippsland too.

Been hard to fault the models this week as it has been a very peculiar set up, somr strange things going on, the most strange is not a breath of wind. There has been a 40% reduction in wind since 2008 globally, which almost coincides with when the rains returned.

It continues to surprise, and think there are many more surprises left yet.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

weird weather atm isn't it, in fact it's been really strange this whole winter if you ask me! One big rainband coming into Melbourne from the southeast :D
P
Proteous
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Proteous »

Up to 18 mm since 9.00am. Best rain for quite some time.
O
OHMegga
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by OHMegga »

Hi to all. My first post after watching on the side for about a year.
Raining heavily in Sale today, over 12mm since 9am . Two wild ducks walking around the park opposite the lake in Sale foraging in the well soaked grounds
Regarding Dams in Gippsland I am just wondering when Glenmaggie Weir on the Macalister River will start dumping water at a higher rate. Dribbling out at the moment but looks to me as though it might be appropriate to get rid of water at a faster rate to make room for what is going to hit the dam from the mountains. At least some would have a chance to get away to sea and mitigate flooding downstream of the Weir (Sale). Link to water level downstream of Dam wall below. It shows a minimal increase in level Sunday which usually means the gates releasing water have been partially opened. The weir is pretty near to full at the moment. Any one know how the Glenmaggie weir operators decide when to release or hold back water. Flooding around Sale district looks a certaintly, just a matter of how much.

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67203/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Steady rain here and looks like it will be here for a while. Almost 10c now, about all we will get. Time to sit back and stoke the fire up.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

GREAT NEWS about all the good falls out W NW in our farming areas.
20-40mm for most for the week which is just great and after last weeks heat wave couldnt have come at a better time great news guys and keep the reports coming.

VERY WET out in gippy today many 30-60mm expected and few 80mm+ in wet areas GREAT news for Melbuornes biggest and only dam that not full

already 30mm in Orbost and other areas out there should double that to 9am

W and S gippy also a nice wet day nice 20-40mm out there with higher falls in wet spots.

Cool to see the ACAS thickening fropm the SE and then to have light rain falling but can still see the sun very cool.

Cold wet grey winters day Wet out east Dry ish out west
Now Living in Wet QLD
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Welcome OHMegga, awesome to have another Gippslander join us, really good stuff (Petros will be pleased!) :P It really is great to see all the new members coming out from lurkerdom and joining us at last (yes, we can see you all down there lol!). Don't be afraid to join in, you're more than welcome to chat along with us, we love new members :D

Sparra and Adon, so happy to hear of some good rain for you up there, that really is wonderful :) Rain's set in here, no idea how much as I'm stuck in a stifling office (all the girls think it's "cold" and keep turning the darned heater up :? ), but judging by radar looks like yet another soggy afternoon for many of us.

While I'm here and posting, can I cheekily add this link in http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 946#p58946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is a new member asking for info on getting METAR data from the BOM onto his weather display, not sure if anyone here can help him? If anyone can help, it would be great if you could drop into the thread and lend a hand :)