Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Surface trough & Cut off low 19-25/3/11

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
Sharon
Stratus
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Surface trough & Cut off low 19-25/3/11

Post by Sharon »

I'm a bit late posting this, but I jumped on here Sunday morning to see how much rain people had recorded on Saturday night, and was surprised to see nothing much mentioned.

I dont have a rain guage, so no figures, but about 4am or so, it absolutely pelted down here in Gembrook. It lasted for about 40 minutes. The water came in nearly 3m across my deck, where it would normally only get wet about a foot in. Some of the mulch in my garden was washed away from the gutters overflowing. Is this normal? To have so much rain in just the one spot?
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

26.5mm here for the event. Not bad, not bad at all. Infact, I was only expecting around 25mm, so right on the money.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

First official rain recording (finally got around to putting it up) comes out at 15.5mm. :)
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

0mm here for the event, was expecting 15mm here from Monday afternoon but have I have revised that to 5mm I expect no more than that here for this event.

Definetly an event for the ages and history book some places getting smashed by records while others getting pratically nothing like here
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hi Sharon, I'm no weather expert at all but I know that can happen. I've heard Karl talk about how it's been pelting down at his place and just up the road zilch. When I was in Barcelona I remember this rain pouring down about 100 metres from where we were standing at the bus stop and we were perfectly dry. It was really strange.
S
Sharon
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sharon »

Rivergirl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 am wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:Hi Sharon, I'm no weather expert at all but I know that can happen. I've heard Karl talk about how it's been pelting down at his place and just up the road zilch. When I was in Barcelona I remember this rain pouring down about 100 metres from where we were standing at the bus stop and we were perfectly dry. It was really strange.

I really wish I had a gauge so I could say how many mm I got. It was bizarre.

I think it targeted me because we spent the weekend replacing our roof. The look of panic on mine and hubbies face would have been priceless when we heard it hammering down in the middle of the night. Luckily we had covered things up well enough and no leaks.
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

21mm to 9am. Pleasant suprise.
Still cant believe I haven't had to use a drop of water this season to water plants. Such a contrast from last summer.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

2 mm + 3.5 mm to 9 am today. If I'd viewed the synoptic charts alone for the last few days from interstate (without even considering the fantastic humid air input) I would never have believed so little rain would have fallen here. Can't recall such a persistent low delivering so little - thank goodness we don't actually need the rain or it would have driven me mad!

Completely stumped by this one; would love an expert analysis at some stage as to the mechanism(s) that prevented heavy rain falling over a significant part of the State. And yes I understand some places got hammered, but why so confined?
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

A surprising 8.2mm last night takes our mtd to 54.2mm.Another above average month.I hope huey keeps em coming.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Finally on the board with just 0.2mm :laughing:
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Is it possible that because of the low topped and low bases of these showers, that anything north of the radar is being 'under-rated' on radar? I have a core out to my east at the moment, and it iss absolutley bucketing down, rain foot and all.... yet radar showing light green? Cloud bases around the 400-600meter mark...
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

8.8mm here in Northern Ferny Creek in the last 24 hours
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Winter is winding up in southeast Australia
Douglas Fenton, Thursday March 24, 2011 - 16:06 EDT
Unfortunately for the summer lovers amongst us there is now a very low chance of any extreme heat for the southeast until at least next Spring.

A deep low over Tasmania has directed cool southwest to westerly winds over the southeast of the country today. Cool winds combined with cloud and showers have kept temperatures well below average across southern NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and southeastern SA.

Adelaide has just had its coldest consecutive days since November last year or in three years for March, with temperatures remaining in the high teens.

Temperatures were up to ten degrees below average in Victoria. Mortlake was shivering through its coolest March day in three years with a top of 15 degrees. Mt Hotham reached a chilly 7 degrees, the coolest since last December.

Today was also the coldest day since spring for southern inland NSW. Temora and Hillston only reached 19 degrees, 10 below average. It was Hillston's coldest March day in 12 years.

Abundant moisture and cloud over the interior over recent weeks has broken up the heat that built during summer. With shorter days and so less warming from the sun, we will see an increased frequency of cool to cold days.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2011
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Had 25mm here now and still raining off and on fairly heavily. The rainfall has been very heavy at times with reduced visibility.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Managed 7mm to 9am this morning from the showery activity yesterday and last night. Since 9am we have had nearly 15mm. It has been constantly drizzling, then heavy showers, then back to drizzle. Currently drizzling but it has become very windy, gusts up to 45-50 km/h at the moment. Low visibility here as well at times. Low cloud at times too.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Bit to Westerly for my liking 5mm here so far would like to double that at least
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Finally can record something for the event. 2.5mm and most of that came in 1 heavy shower and a couple of drizzle patches during the day. 16mm for the month. So for me, it's been quite a dry month.
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Monbulkian »

Glad that we didn't get the rain they've had at the prom when we were down there ten days ago. With only one family car it would have been very interesting to leave it behind.....

Finally had some rain in Monbulk today. The ground was wet this morning but we had no rain in the gauge to nine am. At least 10mm today so far.

Think that my March prediction of around 94mm is looking a bit off track......
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Yes according to the Ferny Creek BOM obs we've had 30.2mm since 9am whereas my rain guage has recorded 21.7mm in 24 hours. Hillybilly you've always told me my rain gauge was out and this proves it as I'm in the same street as the new Ferny Creek BOM obs :)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

If only Scoresby could read like it does here....Seriously raining and drizzling here again. 27mm for the event and really enjoying this preview of winter!! Make up for the few days with missed out.