Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: A humid thundery week - 13th-20th Feb 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: A humid thundery week - 13th-20th Feb 2011

Post by Rhys_34 »

That would have to be one of the most impressive looking towers I have ever seen that has formed over the CBD at the moment!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

You won't believe how good this spot is here steve.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

You can see rotation in that cell over Colac and it's showing up on the Doppler wind as well.

Edit: Showing on the Sat Pics also. Image
Last edited by SC. on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Rhys_34 wrote:That would have to be one of the most impressive looking towers I have ever seen that has formed over the CBD at the moment!
I agreeeee!
Go the bombersss!
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

I reckon the breeze has pooped on our parade here in Melbourne.
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

nafets wrote:
Rhys_34 wrote:That would have to be one of the most impressive looking towers I have ever seen that has formed over the CBD at the moment!
I agreeeee!
Looking back at that now as I leave the CBD on the train to Ballarat, very impressive. Pity I don't have the camera.
Can't see much of the Colac cell yet, but maybe as I get past Bacchus Marsh and up the hill.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Colac cell is a monster!!! Can see it clearly from here at home. Massive!! It's hard to tell what way its moving, however looking outside here, it seems to be edging perhaps closer .. hard to tell.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

If that cell near stawell maintains intensity and eastely track maybe will hit here, bit sketchy because it might die, but shear is good today so you never know.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

AWF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ADVICE
Please use official warnings from the Bureau of Meteorology for professional services.

Isolated thunderstorms persisting over parts of southern Victoria, mainly southwest.

URGENT MESSAGE: A severe thunderstorm has been identified on weather radar to the immediate south of COLAC. This thunderstorm has shown signs in some radar returns of rotation, and is highly capable of producing large hailstones. Doppler also indicates a sustained risk for damaging winds. The thunderstorm is moving only very slowly, with the direction of motion hard to distinguish, and due to the slow movement, flash flooding is highly likely. COLAC and AREAS NEAR COLAC are advised that this thunderstorm is or is about to affect your region.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

It does seem to be heading your way, Jake.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Lots of masses of bubbles between the coast and the ranges down here, not getting high enough to glaciate tho. Some light rain mixed in with it. My camera turned up at canon,we have precisely 15 days of storms left.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

They were moving WSW a bit there Lily, now more towards the NW.

AWF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ADVICE
Please use official warnings from the Bureau of Meteorology for professional services.

The severe thunderstorms near the COLAC region have now weakened to below severe status, but remain active and are travelling towards the northwest. Please note that flash flooding was reported on the Princess Highway 10 minutes to the east of Colac from these thunderstorms.

Isolated thunderstorms are also continuing over parts of Wimmera and Mallee districts, however are not severe.
Duckey
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Duckey »

Well, driving home down Maroondah Hwy today, could see the two most beautiful, dense, tall TC to the east and SE, looked to be the most impressive I've seen in a long time!In the 45 mins it took me to get home, I watched the southerly absolutely flatten them out to nothing. It's amazing what a bit of wind from the other direction will do! I rekon no chance for Melb tonight. Tomorrow/Saturday will be the days. :)
Storm Nerd!!
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

There are two quite large towers to my east and south. Because of their size, I'm suprised they're not showing up on the radar?

I'm liking that chart. Maybe we might get hit here for once. :D

Cheers, Cam
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

No chance today buddy. The wind change killed any chance we had. Sorry!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

The thunderstorm charts from the BoM are a joke basically. I'd just ignore them, Cam, so as not get your hopes up. How so called professionals can put together something like today's effort really baffles me.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

PalmTrees wrote: that
  • southerly has nailed us to the cross yet again. We just cant seem to escape it this summer on potential storm days.

Try living out here in C Gippsland, Bass Straight seabreaze storm killing is a daily event from Nov onwards.

27.5C here today, muggier I thought than yesterday yet delivered nil here at Maffra. Was fair rain in Traralgon and Sale around midday (circa 3-6mm) but have lost faith in seeing a storm here today - no storm here for at least a week (most of you wouldnt have called that one a storm either , but out here if I see lighting and hear thunder its a "storrm"). Its a tough job being a storm watcher when you live in Maffra, they only happen on average 12 times/year and you cant just hop in a car and head N to chase like you can in Melbourne. Gripe gripe grizzle. :x

[edit] - just scanned the models for rain out this way next 5-8 days, most show little rain for here , again grump grizzle etc. Shouldnt whinge because it IS February, but is seems to be such a waste of La Nina opportunity out this way. (Probably fueled by simple human jealousy). :?
Last edited by Petros on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Meso wrote:The thunderstorm charts from the BoM are a joke basically. I'd just ignore them, Cam, so as not get your hopes up. How so called professionals can put together something like today's effort really baffles me.
Thanks for the adivce. Those towers which I spoke of before have just been detected on radar (near yan yean). They may be dying because of the sea breeze, but I'm still suprised it took that long for the radar to detect them.

Cheers, Cam

EDIT: Just been outside again. The cell to our south is about 5km away and appears to be dropping no rain what so ever? It's still quite large, despite the sea breeze.
Last edited by flatcam on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

IMO the chance of organised storm development tomorrow is worse than today, bar the western 20% of the state.

Still 0mm here, very frustrating but not complaining at all. Some terrific towers in patches to the NE and E, but sinking lower and lower to the horizon. They look really well formed from here though.

Oh BTW before I forget again, my prediction of no more 35 degree days is holding well so far, except of course the slight problem that it was 38 the day after I made the prediction. :P
Last edited by HarleyB on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Meso wrote:The thunderstorm charts from the BoM are a joke basically. I'd just ignore them, Cam, so as not get your hopes up. How so called professionals can put together something like today's effort really baffles me.
Totally agree! Pretty much said it all Meso.

Had a really good view of those impressive looking towers over the northern suburbs driving home tonight. I really need some kind of automatic camera attached to the outside of my car! :)
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.