Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
M
Monbulkian
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Post by Monbulkian »

We are up to 156mm for the event after having 0.5mm of rain overnight.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Been following what your saying. Could you please provide links to the models you are using when posting models,quite time consuming trying to locate them
regards crikie
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Pictures up in the Storm Chasing thread from Thursday night north of Bendigo
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Spare a thought for the 1000s of people affeced by sewage spills in the s/e. violet gurging up through dunnies and even kitchen sinks. One property had to be sandbagged all around by the SES as it was an island in a sea of violet. Our systems are not designed to cope with such rain.

Bay is slowly getting back to normal, if there is no more rain for a week, which I doubt, you can swim again.

IMHO we didnt cop yasi, we copped the tail of anthony, but the media didnt differentiate, was no ratings in anthony.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh gross :| That would have to be raising some pressing health concerns, surely? Is that the case right throughout Narre Warren?
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

There are reports starting to filter through from the Laverton - Aircraft area that there may have been a tornado around 5pm(ish) on Friday the 4th...any photos taken of the storm passing through the area around that time or observations would be very interesting. Clyve is currently pulling together a number of pieces of the puzzle....Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

What about the subsequent wind readings of 132km/h from the WNW, SW and then S over the course of 3 minutes at 19:45hrs on Friday!?
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Wind gusts may of gotten higher though this period as well cos the Laverton AWS stopped working very soon after it
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

id imagine it would have been a very localised wind gust at Laverton. We are no more than 5kms from the airbase and we had next to little or no wind during the deluge.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Harald Richter from the BOM has just posted this in regards to suspected Tornadic activity in/around Laverton on Friday the 4th.
Hi folks,
I see the passage of two convective cells over Laverton last Friday after dinnertime.
The first event took place around 6:50 pm LT (0750z) where a stronger cell embedded in the
WNW--ESE convective line moved across the area. The line's outflow plowed into a preexisting stalled
surface boundary evident in the second attachment. The dominating cell in this part of the line
showed some structural elements of severity (first attachment).
A second strong storm approached around 7pm LT (8z) showing an elevated hail core and BWER (Attach #3)
and broad rotation in the midlevels (not shown). The storm then began to weaken and arrived in
Laverton around 8:44z (7:44pm LT) (attach #4) showing straight-line winds around 31 ms-1 (~62 kts)
on the inbound side of a divergence signature (attach #5). The reference point in image#5 marks the centre
location of the Laverton airbase. The line moved through the base by 8.45z (attach #6) and an extended gust front is
apparent in the velocity data (attach #7). The radial wind speeds around that time are still 31 ms-1 (or 110 km/h).
So, at this point the radar suggests a localised downburst ... awaiting to be overruled by evidence from the field.
The healthiest storm around that time, btw, is a right-moving supercell E of Winchelsea at 8:26z (7:26pm EDT).
This storm sported a BWER and a three-body scatter spike suggesting larger hail (attach #8) and a midlevel meso (attach#9).
Harald
I dunno how or even if I should to pinch his attachments. But sadly it seems that the only way we're going to have it confirmed is if we find an insider in the RAAF at Laverton with a decent camera and photographic skills!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Freeway closed over landslide threat
Updated February 11, 2011 12:09:00
Recent rains have made the north side of the mine unstable. (International Power Hazelwood)
Map: Morwell 3840
Authorities say the Princes Freeway, in south-east Victoria, could remain closed for three months because of concerns about a possible landslide.
The freeway was closed at Morwell last night due to concerns about the stabililty of a nearby mine.
The north side of the mine, adjacent to the highway, has become unstable after recent heavy rain and movement has been detected in the mine wall.
That part of the mine has been decommissioned and International Power says it will not affect the operation of the Hazelwood power station.
VicRoads says cracks of up to two centimetres have emerged from the freeway.

Thanks to ABC, click here for full story
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Just heard that they think the Princes Highway around Morwell could be closed for up to three months :o