Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2010

Post by Lily »

Hillybilly, you suggested we collect the rainfall reports from members, so I've created a googlemap with AWF reported rainfall. Some of the totals reported are approximate (ie. member said "about xx mm" when they posted), this has been noted. Other members have reported rainfall, but possibly not final event total, this has been noted with a "+" next to the total.

I only went back to member's reported totals from yesterday morning onwards (ie. 5/2), let me know if you would like me to update/alter totals in your area :)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 775879&z=6
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - Early February (dates T

Post by Petros »

I_Love_Storms wrote:
I_Love_Storms wrote:
Petros wrote:.... and I might start a thread called "it might rain in April 2011" - couldnt be wrong could I?
Petros, there is more substance to this than that. Just give it a few days.
Had to dig this up, sorry Petros :D
No worries ILS, you were very right. I just thought that post so many days before Feb 2nd and then covering a whole week from then was on the verge of "blanketting" like what used to happen in WZ. :?

We have cooled right down here, another mm since my post 10pm last night to take us to 54.5 fantastic mm's :D
C
Claude Cat
New User
Reactions:

Post by Claude Cat »

Mt Baw Baw cam showing some snow falling / dusting on the 10.15am images.
I guess it's no longer a "tropical rain event" :D
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Finished with a total of 119.5mm up to 10am this morning.
Getting to the wedding in Dixons Creek last night was a mission.
Left home at 3.30pm(it started at 4.30) avoided Victoria rd, Melba Hwy blocked so had to go into Healsville and take the King Lake turn off and come around the back way.
Arrived at 5.15pm to find they were still waiting on 60 people before they could start the ceremony.
The amount of water and debris on the roads was phenomenal.

Great job with the google map Lily!
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

A couple of short, sharp showers coming through at the moment with that band coming through from the SW.

Such a relief to be able to sleep last night with no fan or evaporative cooling running, Viewbank AWS showing only 15 degrees.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Did someone forget to turn on the heater outside today? ridiculously cold for Feb, from summer to winter in a day or 2.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Wow that's fantastic Lily! Great idea. I'd put hillybilly's obs in for Ferny Creek as mine are always underestimated as in the 116 I posted. Thanks :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

hillybilly wrote:
Happy to debate in climatology DJ on this, as im really starting to get sick and tired of all the alarmism.
I have no interesting in "debating" you AV. Just presenting facts - you are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

Another 3mm of rain in Sandy this morning with a dumper SW'ly stream shower. Feels like May out there.
Of course you dont want to debate, because you cant get around the fact that in 1899 the floods in Brisbane were much worse, and the cyclone in 1914 was the lowest pressure recorded, or the slight problem of permanent drought now being the wettest 12 months in history.

Remind everyone what Co2 levels were in 1899? Your man made warming argument is over, your statements in 2007 about this being permenant climate were 100% wrong, they are words that you said. If you want to talk about facts.

All you do is try to use the current situation to your argument, and its not working. Mother nature has proved you wrong, and all the other alarmists. All the statements are freely visible in the climatology section. You cant make these statements and not be held accountable.

Everyone should be aware that we are in cooling phase because this is what to expect over the coming decade or two.

And your also the only person in Victoria worried about browning off, i have had 216.5mm in 5 weeks, hardly browning off conditions.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks Melsy and RG :) You can add photos, too!!! Cool! I'm just putting in the ones I took from yesterday :D I don't want to use anyone else's photos without permission, but if you would like me to add your photos, let me know if it's ok and give me the locations.

Anyone else with totals to add?

RG, will add Hillybilly's totals once he's home (you haven't reported home totals yet have you, HB?)
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Nice one Lily. You certainly always go that extra mile don't you. :thumbsup: :applause:
Had a further 6.1mm today since 12am

event total to the 11.17am the 6th: 203.2mm
YTD: 306.07mm

Of course could be more as there are still 2.5 days to go. :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Great job Lily, thankyou. My 135 mm was simply to 9 am 5/2 - I suppose you could add for the event as a whole, a measly 3mm before (to 9 am 4/2) and further 2.5 mm to 9 am today. 341 mm ytd.

Btw great variation around here for the 5/2 readings. My neighbour a kilometre away measured 133 mm, but my brother 8 km west had just 70 mm. 5 km west of us 120 mm.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Just for the record there will be no tolerance of Global Warming debate in this room. Out of context talk on SSTs, CO2 levels and browning off talk will not be tolerated. There is a lot of agendas going on and there is room for that with a password. Don't disrespect the thread by filling it up with nonsense! It is funny that everytime we have record rainfall and floods we get this happening from the same offenders

Now back on topic. 7mm in the past few hours from heavy showers and hail. Again just sitting in the sweet spot. Don't blame me, I didn't make it rain!! :P

Sitting on 215mm for the event. Well truly had enough. It is getting a bit much.

Time to turn the heater on as I am freezing!

Lily have you got my total in there!?

BTW I have a contact down on Kellets Rd in Rowville who recorded 228mm for the event. So goes to show that I wasn't the highest lol!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

What a great idea Lily! Maybe we could do the same thing for last years totals, it would be nice to see how everyone faired in one of the wettest years on record. :)

I had 76.2mm for the event.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Karl Lijnders wrote:

BTW I have a contact down on Kellets Rd in Rowville who recorded 228mm for the event. So goes to show that I wasn't the highest lol!!

What are the next couple of days looking like. Can we see more or is that it for this event.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks everyone, am updating as you post :D (Edit: Karl, yes, did have your total in but have since updated)

AV, do you have up to date totals? Last one from you was yesterday morning, but I think you've had a few more downpours since then!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yes there is a strong likelyhood of having TC Yasi visting us next week but the interesting ingredient we have this week is colder middle and upper layers which may provide us with equally ferocious storms. Actually I would think the storms could be even more savage with hail a higher risk and damaging winds becoming more widespread.

A rainband will follow into Saturday and then becoming milder behind the change. It does appear that the system could retreat north and the organise and come south again as we resolve into a SSE flow rather than a cold dry SSW wind as we did this weekend.

In any case I am anticipating 50-100mm falls again later in the week. There is a small chance of it being a heavier rain event, but 50-100mm is a fair bet for now.

Will update later today and more extensively from tomorrow as more guideance comes in.

For the storm chasers, it could be an impressive stormy outbreak late Thursday and during Friday.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

So basically we dry out a little today untill Tuesday then we prepare the Ark again. Thanks Karl.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Lily, 135.8mm for this event here.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Lily wrote:Thanks Melsy and RG :) You can add photos, too!!! Cool! I'm just putting in the ones I took from yesterday :D I don't want to use anyone else's photos without permission, but if you would like me to add your photos, let me know if it's ok and give me the locations.

Anyone else with totals to add?

RG, will add Hillybilly's totals once he's home (you haven't reported home totals yet have you, HB?)

I had 76mm, Ascot Vale, can you put it near kent street nd mt alexander rd? thanks! :)
Go the bombersss!
S
Sebastian_00
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sebastian_00 »

Splendid idea Lily :)

I recorded an event total of 128.3 mm here in Ballan.