Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2011

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
e
eddie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Tropical rain event - February 2nd-8th 2010

Post by eddie »

Got 110mm since 1am this morning after emptying out 58mm at 1am to give me 168mm :o Just received a warning about another 50mm expected throughout the Eastern suburbs this afternoon, the Yarra is already flooded at Warrandyte attracting a lot of visitors
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Agreed Harley, Melbourne is not prepared for monsoonal rain like last night. As I said earlier, I have never seen it rain like that in Melbourne in my entire life. I've lived in Brisbane for 2 years when I was younger and have been in SE Asia when the monsoon has blown in, it was no different at all. Even the temps staying warm was the same, I think that surprised me the most.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Tizz, I couldn't get into your personal PB account, it asked me for the password. Why? What are you hiding :hysteria:

No cricket then Eddie? :P
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Unfortunately for the NE ranges they are going to get absolutely belted with very heavy rain and severe storms as this cold front collides with the very humid airmass on the eastern side of the upper trough. Some areas could see 200mm in a short space of time later this afternoon and evening IMO - just a heads up.
e
eddie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by eddie »

Lily wrote:Tizz, I couldn't get into your personal PB account, it asked me for the password. Why? What are you hiding :hysteria:

No cricket then Eddie? :P
No :(

Finals are going to be fun if the rain stays away, due to the weather have had just 1 2 day game for the season and thats what finals are :P
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

hillybilly wrote:
The highest total around the outer eastern suburban area since 9am yesterday is 157mm at Dunns Hill. Other locations around there are averaging around 100mm.
A gauge in Tecoma recorded 190mm for the 24 hours (http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IVICTECO2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) .
hillybilly, That's my gauge and total is now 195.57mm for yesterday and today and yes I'm as surprised as any one seeing how most of the rain misses me here but i guess this time being slightly in the valley proved very fruitful.... well in this case rainfall :D I thought you might have had yours setup on there by now too.

A bit of a rant here: I don't understand why people are disputing totals from other people here. It's not like it's a competition it's just what is reported by gauges or stations. Figures even from the expert stations such as the BOM aren't always correct but in most cases they are. So let it go when someone reports a total, it's seems there are always questions raised or skepticism when this happens. :roll: :-|

Sorry admins if i have overstepped the boundaries of being a forum user only. I know you'll let me know if I have. Thanks ;)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

No problems at all Ausmammal. You summed it up nicely, and if people are going to dispute rainfall totals reported by other people, they can leave the forum. Rainfall recording is not a competition, and every part of the state has it's own local affects to take into consideration in all different types of atmospheric set-ups.

Now let's just stick to the topic and breaking weather at hand.

We have had a few showers here this morning, generally 3-5mm recorded so far. Things drying out very quickly down here, maybe later next week might bring something. Otherwise moderate to heavy falls continuing over the northern and eastern districts today. Not good for flooded areas.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Guys, this forum is awesome for forecasts and also comparing observations. BUT I hate it when people argue over stupid things (ie; Karl's 200mm). If he says he got that, then that's what he got.No need to lie or make up totals.And if people do, then they are only kidding themselves. We all know the weather is very unpredictable. Who would have thought I would receive 157mm since yesterday (you can see this on my link at the bottom of this post). There are others on this forum who live nearby that I'm SURE would have got 10, 20, 30 or even 50 mm's more or less than me. It's the nature of storms and weather in general.
We are all in this together and we should enjoy what we witness with the fascination that is weather.

But ofcourse, disagreeing is half the fun haha. Some predicted 150mm for Melbourne, other 10mm only 2 days ago.

Looks like more rain coming.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
A
Ausmammal
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Ausmammal »

Looks like we are going to get squeezed by what looks like 3 systems, or is it only 2. I'm a little confused as so much is going on at the moment. More rain coming this way. :D
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Looks like it Aus. Might see it amplify on the eastern side of town.

Fingers crossed the heaviest falls develop in the catchments.

DJ, was Dunns Hill blocked at all with leaves overnight?
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Just emptied my gauge of 79mm. temp 19.5/17.4
Peter
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I just had a thought.

So far I have had 157mm...and there's still 23 days to go until the end of the month.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I suspect a lot more to come this month Steve!! :o
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

stevco123 wrote:Some predicted 150mm for Melbourne, other 10mm only 2 days ago.
And I must admit, I was one of the people forecasting I think it was 30-60mm for Melbourne CBD. I totally underestimated falls this time .. I think CBD saw 82mm or near that figure! What a huge event.

And it continues to unfold right across the north and east.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

This is my own personal opinion on where Karl lives as I know the area very well when I used to race R/C cars and was usually there 2 times a month sometimes a lot more for a 8 year period. Every time there was anything in the area that place is like a funnel for rain, had so many wet or rained out race meetings there I lost count. The annoying thing was for us during many race meetings you could clearly see a lot of the times it was clear south and north of the area, without fail if there was rain around Melbourne it would usually be at the Knox R/C off-road track.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

The Scoresby Gauge (116mm) is accurate and in an excellent location - I queried it a bit back and it's one of the better gauges in the metro area.
Hillybilly, I've registered 116.5mm in my WS at Ferny Creek but as you know my figures are always wrong. Funny it's the same as Scoresby tho.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Power Storm wrote:
stevco123 wrote:Some predicted 150mm for Melbourne, other 10mm only 2 days ago.
And I must admit, I was one of the people forecasting I think it was 30-60mm for Melbourne CBD. I totally underestimated falls this time .. I think CBD saw 82mm or near that figure! What a huge event.

And it continues to unfold right across the north and east.
And I'm after you into the confessional. I was very dubious Maffra would get anything more than 10-15mm from this thread. AV, Karl, Johnoo tried to tell me but would I listen - nup and now I'm looking at 40mm+ :?

Karl, when I'm finished, its your turn since you are so very obviously lying through your back teeth with your rain recordings! ;) ;) ;)
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

@Jake re: Melbourne storm sooks.

They'll still sook, it was 99% embedded with a few sparks here & there.

I spent my time at Mt Dandenong 'til the nasty rainband came through then spent the night at a couple of local vantage spots, couldn't get the camera out because of the bloody rain.

I look forward to seeing what if anything comes of the Laverton report, and wouldn't be at all surprised if reports came in from the other side of the bay with regards to that particular cell's behavior. As I saw it, it tracked through Hampton, Dingley, Dandenong North and sort of broke up around there. But it was sucking scud up like a hoover up until it snuffed it, the back end would have been rather interesting. As I said to a couple of members in an SMS, she had a wall cloud the size of effing Texas hanging underneath it.

There was also a rather flashy cell around Moorabbin for a little while, and one sort of meandered along the North Eastern subs which sparked quite a bit.

The other interesting one was the one that developed later on in the night near Drysdale. Radar signatures on that were quite tasty indeed.
Last edited by schitzengiggles on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

If any of the jumping up n down in regards to Karl's total is directed at me...I wasn't disputing it. Just amazed at the totals he racks up during these things.
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Teens rescued after swimming in floodwaters
Saturday February 5, 2011 - 15:10 EDT
Emergency crews have rescued three teenage boys from floodwaters at Pakenham, in Melbourne's outer south-east.

They are among more than 80 people who have been rescued since thunderstorms dumped more than 100 millimetres of rain on large parts of the state.

The Country Fire Authority says the boys were swimming in the water when they got into trouble.

The Assistant Commissioner of Police, Stephen Fontana, says people must not drive or play in floodwaters.

"I suppose there's a message to parents to please, keep an eye on their children, to make sure they don't go into floodwaters. It's not a playground," she said.

"It looks like they were hanging on to a telegraph pole. I think some children do like to think it might be a playground, but then they might find themselves in trouble."

- ABC

© ABC 2010
You would think that after the Toowoomba floods and seeing just what flood water can do, people would actually get a bit of common sense.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm