Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold Outbreak/Low Pressure. January 17-20 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Vic - cut-off low for Sun-Mon 17-18 Jan 10

Post by dagget »

This is not going to do anythign for us up here, minimal rain overnight nice drop for the city though.
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

12mm for me yesterday, most of it falling between 6am and 9am. A few flashes and rumbles, including the one at about 4:15am which woke me up! Great to hear some hail again and feel the cold! 10.1C min overnight and currently 12.6C. Supposed to be heading down to the beach today, but perhaps the snow is a little more tempting!
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
S
Sean Mac
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sean Mac »

A tick over 30mm here. Loud crack and flash at 1.17am this morning from a good storm followed by heavy hail and gusts.
Keep it coming!

Well done AV and Karl...spot on!
s
samueliza
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:
Location: Point Cook- or somewhere in Northern or Western Victoria!!!

Post by samueliza »

yeah. good job Karland Anthony. You reckon theres much chance of ANY actionout in the western burbs. Im getting so jealous and regretting moving from bayswater to pt cook :lol:
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Hey Sean!!! How's it going? Was an awesome night and morning, and still going! Even here in Hallam we are getting soaked..
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

yeah nice work guys, sun is out here now, eagerly awaiting the next stream to come on in, it's building in the bay again
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Getting the odd few showers pushing through here in Sunshine, more than what is happening back home. The airstream is more southerly today so better chance for us to pick up something. I never get excited with these southwesterly type events as they normally produce bugger all out here in the western suburbs.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Was teeming down between 7.45 and 8.15 this morning. Was a struggle getting the 5yo into the car without umbrella!!
Guage was showing 21mm when I left which is bloody brilliant!

Got to CBD soon after 9am and the roads were awash. Must have just missed the hail but the gutters were overflowing!
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

As Karl mentioned, the airport radar does no justice!!
Here is the radar loop from yesterday afternoon til after 9am this morning.

http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1263767400
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Winds turning SSW from the west. Ballarat has just gone SSW in the last 20 minutes. Sheoaks has gone from WSW to SW. The shower stream is moving west across the bay now so there is the chance that western suburbs might do a bit better this afternoon. I notice the shower to the west of me is actually moving straight south whilst the rest of the showers move SSW in central Melbourne and straight SW in eastern suburbs.

Afternoon 'heating' should increase showers further this afternoon.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Nothing to speak of her so far.fantastic falls for you guys in the east of Melbs.
a bit brisk her atm, was 7.4C overnight. 9C now and bright clear sky
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

there was a heavy shower here very early this morning, but otherwise has just been dry, windy and cold as expected. However a stray shower out this way isn't out of the question.

Cant believe the differences in rain amounts, only about 1-2mm here so far for the whole event!
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

I only scored 7mm in the gauge up to this morning in Burwood, but expected it to be hit or miss with this type of system.

I have to say that I would love to have seen the strike that caused that thunder at around 4:15 this morning, because surveying people both on this forum and at work shows people were woken up by the resulting thunder in an area that triangulates as far out as Doncaster, Burwood and Scoresby :lighting: :guitar: :lighting:

Rog.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Very heavy shower pushing through West Sunshine as I type, puddles everywhere. Tony, I can believe it, we rarely pick up good totals with these types of events. Certainly find it hard to believe we all live in the same city! We might start to see something better as things tend more southerly.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
L
Luken
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Luken »

Instability wrote:I only scored 7mm in the gauge up to this morning in Burwood, but expected it to be hit or miss with this type of system.

I have to say that I would love to have seen the strike that caused that thunder at around 4:15 this morning, because surveying people both on this forum and at work shows people were woken up by the resulting thunder in an area that triangulates as far out as Doncaster, Burwood and Scoresby :lighting: :guitar: :lighting:

Rog.
Wow! what a difference between Burwood and Mitcham. 30mm extra only a few km's away. We are on a decent hill here which I assume helps, but geez 30mm....
Leasy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Leasy »

Instability wrote:I only scored 7mm in the gauge up to this morning in Burwood, but expected it to be hit or miss with this type of system.

Rog.
Make that Mill Park too - woke at 4:15 and heard a faint rumble, then heard more rain & fell asleep. :hangloose:
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

Instability wrote:I have to say that I would love to have seen the strike that caused that thunder at around 4:15 this morning, because surveying people both on this forum and at work shows people were woken up by the resulting thunder in an area that triangulates as far out as Doncaster, Burwood and Scoresby :lighting: :guitar: :lighting:

Rog.
I saw the flash through closed eyes, but thought I must have been dreaming and didn't bother to 'count', but my BIL and SIL report their kids being woken by a 'massive thunderbolt' at the same time, and they are in Blackburn South! It certainly wasn't overhead me, that's for sure, but was nice all the same! ;)
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
B
Bobman
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Bobman »

22mm here overnight. That should bump up the MTD total so far for here and looks like a few other places got nice totals.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

heavy shower just passed here, but lots of Blue skies as well. Are you guys seeing that too, showers then blue, or are the clearing skies only out this way?
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Lots more blue sky in town Tony.
Still very murky out towards the southeast.