Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Day to Day weather talk

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

hit the big 30.7c here, pretty warm outside.
C
CAPEcrusader
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by CAPEcrusader »

Have sighted the same orchard butterfly (papilio aegeus)in shepparton too, about half a dozen times now-the smaller orchard (papilio anactus) is common here but i have never seen this larger one and neither had my mum and uncle around these parts and i used to collect them as a kid in the 80's so when i saw it i knew straight away this was not local, however i have looked its distribution up and Nth country is there . They turned up after the last rain event , i assummed that these came with the air mass "super sky highway" comming in from nth nsw at the time ? Also believe i spotted a glasswing butterfly couple of times too which again i have never came across here either, but its distribution also states around Nth country .Have been keeping an eye out for my fav. wanderer/monarch butterfly ever since-we used to get those but no luck as yet.

Makes me wonder if dormant patterns of the past were here again, that certain weather "channels/funnels/mechanisims" may have re-opened when i saw the distributions .

Great site by the way.

Cheers jules
"Understand, it's time to get ready for the storm"-SRV
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Great to have you here Jules, like the username - nice link too CAPE / Joules / Jules.... :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Midday Floyd you will start to notice it
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

welcome Jules :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Early Max mate, should sit somewhere between 21-25c rest of the Afternoon with a fresh Southerly
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Cool and overcast day here in merimbula, even tried to spit a couple of times. Chance of storms tomorrow/Sat so hanging out for a couple of balmier evenings. Luckily theres always a sheltered beach around, Pambula's been great.
C
CAPEcrusader
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by CAPEcrusader »

johnno wrote:welcome Jules :)
daviescr wrote:Great to have you here Jules, like the username - nice link too CAPE / Joules / Jules.... :)

Thank you very much for the welcome :D . Speaking of cape ,forecast says that Shepp is maybe a chance today for some crackle.
"Understand, it's time to get ready for the storm"-SRV
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

BOM has done very well with the forecast temp today as it was mostly dependent on the timing of the change. If the change had come through a couple of hours earlier the maximum would have only been 28C.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

yes perfect timing on the change. 32c just as the BOM forecast!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Is that the wind change showing up on radar at the moment? (wind's just picked up here)
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Yes Lily. I always find it fascinating how the bay affects the wind direction when we get these changes coming through. Throughout the central, northern and western suburbs it is a southerly and will be a southerly when it hits here, elsewhere though it is a SW. There is a strange kink visible along the wind change on the rainfall radar which shows this directional change.

Stinking hot 30C here.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Some nice convection has developed over the Dandenongs :D
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

FINALLY AT LAST I've experienced a storm in the past 12 months! (But it took a trip to Merimbula!). After a sunny day of stronger than expected NNE'lies, Cj that brewed to our NNW and SW (over the Vic border) from lunchtime ended with a huge storm cell arriving in from Eden with very noisy CG and CC thunder directly overhead of Merimbula 5-6pm. All drifted away to sea to our NE and now calm after the storm, no strong winds or hail, but a great storm because it lasted an hour! :D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

:peaceout: Go Petros! I saw that earlier, around 5/6pm? I wasn't sure if you were up there yet or were going up this weekend :D
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

A little bit of light shower activity extending over the southwest currently ahead of a cold front which will progress through the remainder of the state during early Monday. There could be a few heavy patches of rainfall overnight however this type of precip is going to be very isolated and no big falls expected.

Still warm in the house, 24 degrees compared to outside currently sitting on 17 degrees. DP is at 16 degrees and RH at 93%. No wind.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Rhys_34 »

On a side note if Melbourne doesn't go above 34.5C for the hottest temp in January then it would have been 26 years since we had a January where the highest max was that low...1986 was actually the lowest ever in terms of lowest highest max in Melbourne's history, only got to 35C for a highest max all year!
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Arrived Home from time at Lakes to find 10.5mm has fallen out of the sky at some stage.
Had all the weather anyone could hope for while away.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Chiilly old day up on the mount, misty drizzly and a top of 15C late this arvo, it was around 13C for most of the day. nice and green :D
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Pretty nice day here in the end.
I do miss the storms we sometimes get. Hot during the day then having the storms roll through in the evening. Surely we will get some of those during Feb.
fortius quo fidelius