Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mz_grim
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by mz_grim »

norfolk wrote:And apparently someone was trapped in a creek near Rockbank.....anyone know much about this story?
Was a 14 year old boy riding a motorbike last night but was caught in a creek near ballan not rockbank. He got out safe due to the efforts of the Ballan CFA and Bacchus Marsh SES.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Never forgotton those words from Dr. Harry Stern in early December from the BOM saying 1st month of Summer be wet but after that as we progress through Summer rainfall be average again very poor from the BOM.

Anyway belting here passed 70mm for the event average for the month of Jan here is 45mm
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

mz_grim wrote:
norfolk wrote:And apparently someone was trapped in a creek near Rockbank.....anyone know much about this story?
Was a 14 year old boy riding a motorbike last night but was caught in a creek near ballan not rockbank. He got out safe due to the efforts of the Ballan CFA and Bacchus Marsh SES.
Oh I did hear that story as well. I thought they were 2 separate incidents. Maybe confusion by the media.

Thanks!!
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

johnno wrote:Never forgotten those words from Dr. Harry Stern in early December from the BOM saying 1st month of Summer be wet but after that as we progress through Summer rainfall be average again very poor from the BOM.

Anyway belting here passed 70mm for the event
Yes seems the BOM either misled us or totally missed this completely. Either way, something needs to be done!
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Anthony Violi wrote:Yep definitely true Johnno, always rainshadowed in Melbourne.

On a separate issue I reckon we have had 15mm in 10 minutes here, it's absolutely belting down in that yellow spot near Moorabin..
AS you said last night AV norwedigan model had the heaviest rain between 8 and Noon for us very accurate it was/is
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

norfolk wrote:
mz_grim wrote:
Oh I did hear that story as well. I thought they were 2 separate incidents. Maybe confusion by the media.

Thanks!!
Taken from Nine msn.
Also, a man was rescued in Rockbank, west of Melbourne, when his ute got stuck in flood waters on Sinclairs Road.

Different incidents.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

cool Melsy, thought they were 2 seperate incidents. And I know that Sinclairs Road area, where the road dips towards the Creek. Scary at the best of times, stupid attempting it during a major rain event!
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Not much happening up here apart from gusty winds from the NE which is pushing the rainband to the SW of us.Can't see the forecast for heavy rain happening.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

norfolk wrote:cool Melsy, thought they were 2 seperate incidents. And I know that Sinclairs Road area, where the road dips towards the Creek. Scary at the best of times, stupid attempting it during a major rain event!
Reminds me of those cowboys who regulary drive their 4WD & utes through the middle of the creek in my estate. :roll:

Light to moderate rain still falling here, I'd say another hour and it will be all over.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

athearn2 wrote:Not much happening up here apart from gusty winds from the NE which is pushing the rainband to the SW of us.Can't see the forecast for heavy rain happening.
Wouldnt discount it. Slowly slowly that line of heavy rain will move to the east.
S
Soxy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Soxy »

My wife is in panic mode as she is hosting her mothers 80th Birthday tomorrow in Rosanna and want to know if we should be safe weather wise from 12.30pm sat can any of our resident experts please let me know a confident forcast would be much appreciated.
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

norfolk wrote:cool Melsy, thought they were 2 seperate incidents. And I know that Sinclairs Road area, where the road dips towards the Creek. Scary at the best of times, stupid attempting it during a major rain event!
Unfortunately some people don't think during these events.
Hope everyone is staying safe and being careful on the roads.

Just started raining lightly here. Nothing overnight but extremely windy
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Soxy wrote:My wife is in panic mode as she is hosting her mothers 80th Birthday tomorrow in Rosanna and want to know if we should be safe weather wise from 12.30pm sat can any of our resident experts please let me know a confident forcast would be much appreciated.
Better people can answer this, but I am guessing the day will be dry especially in the afternoon. Grassy areas will still be soggy underneath.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Nice day Tomorrow Soxy Partly cloudy afternoon but fair bit of sunshine too light winds temp in the mid 20's
L
Lara_Hunter
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lara_Hunter »

Just went outside and I can see a large part of the grampians (east face) missing, looks like a massive landslide, I'm 20km away and its huge.. Will go for a drive and get a pic
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

10mm in 1/2 hours. starting to add up now..

wow Lara.. thats not good......

mum and dad have just gone for a drive around horsham with the cam,
dad mentioned 2 dinghy's at the police station, being prepared I suppose..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Lara :o Yes please, pics!

Rain has definitely set in here moderate to heavy, very gusty, rain is blowing in all directions and it has cooled. If this keeps up the Rubicon will go for sure, might go for a drive soon :) Park pump's working constantly to clear water from the park.

Edit: I typed this about 15 mins ago but took that long to post it! Wind is still strong but not quite so gusty as it was half hour to an hour ago, a brief reprieve?
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Rain has finally gone back to a drizzle now. Hopefully soon we can finally see the end of this
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

My goodness Lara, that sounds like a huge event - please keep us posted. SES website is inundated and hit or miss if you can get on.
f
firestorm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by firestorm »

Just a quick one still no Internet running low on the iPhone now 60mm overnight some minor flooding around town with a few roads blocked and one house with water but concil did the Job breaking through river yesterday as would have been alot worse still rainning over 150mm for the event