Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Very windy Here,
glad that huge Gum is not over my house,
temp has dropped from 25.8 to 24.8c
1001hpa up from 1000.

46.5mm since 9am ,70.5 Event. ,72.5mm MTD
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Recorded just 34mm so we have escaped the forecast deluge of 50-100mm luckily. Rain cleared here about 6.30 with only the odd heavy shower to follow overnight, rainband did not redevelope over us but pushed through futher east. Stawell 87mm bore the brunt and Mt William a very isolated 132mm bring them up to 260+mm for the week. Lots of water around and lots of flooded roads and rivers now in major flooding..
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

Lily wrote:Timster, I'm really sorry to hear your news :( Thinking of you and others in the area today and wishing there was more I could do than pass on my "thoughts". I've experienced flooding, it can be exhausting, harrowing and a complete pain in the butt all at once. Good luck, buddy and let us know here if you need help in any way.
Thanks Lily. Appreciate the support! Luckily it's more seeping in at the moment, and as it's still rain quite heavily, we just have to wait until it stops and then see where we're at. Have dug up some pavers around the house to create better flow and seems to be working! :)

As for the weather, up to 171mm for the last three days.... :o Seriously, had enough. That's 25% of the annual average.

Hope everyone else is OK as reports are indicating lots of flooding.

Tim
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

OMG, the wind up here at Eildon is insane! No idea how fast it is, but gusts come through periodically and they're sending things flying everywhere. No trees down in our immediate vicinity... yet.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Sorry Tim, missed your last post. Just be mindful of electricity and your wiring, worth getting it checked once this is all over. Good work on the pavers!
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Loddon River at Bridgewater is apparently 1m higher than late Nov. Eppalock secondary spillway expected to go over later this morning.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

It is as black as a dogs guts here at work, very dark outside. Change expected any minute here.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Parts of Charlton being evacuated at the moment, with residents seeking higher ground.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Just tipped 45mm out of the gauge from 9am yesterday, taking me to 63.2mm for the event. No where near what others are getting but still 40mm higher than my total for Jan last year and 59mm higher YTD.

I am heading up to Miners Rest just to the north-west of Ballarat this afternoon - does anyone know if there are any issues with flooding or debris along the Western HWY?

Rog.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Looks like we are about to cop it here in Hallam. Also i think Ne areas should be on full alert as they are likely to see rivers and creeks in full flood by tonight. The Goulburn I'm assuming is the main area of concern?
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Trouble now also for the Upper Marbryinong with Deep Creek approaching Major flood level
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Take care up there Lily!

Here in Elwood heavy rain has set in after nothing overnight. Event total around 65mm
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

temp dowm to 19c here, it feels so cold.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Not suprised that the Melb area missed out overnight given it was a gale force Northerly set up since when do we ever do well in a Strong to gale force N set up? Perhaps 1 out of 10 times at best, but the rain has come back down here with the convergance of the front and assistance of the Upper trough
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

19.9c up here nice and cool. 64mm for yesterday and 158.8mm event. Bendigos average is 30mm lol !!
But I won't escape the humidity for too long just until Tuesday when im in QLD.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yep definitely true Johnno, always rainshadowed in Melbourne.

On a separate issue I reckon we have had 15mm in 10 minutes here, it's absolutely belting down in that yellow spot near Moorabin..
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

since that change roared through, the rain has been relentless, went for a drive to Kororoit Creek, to see the state of play there and while it hasnt burst its banks, is a raging torrent (well here at Caroline Springs anyway).

At least it's cooled down out there now.....hopefully some drier air can try and push it's way in! 87.6mm for the month, 83.4mm the past 7 days!
dagget
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dagget »

Given up measuring the rain for this event when it passed 150mm. My timber hot tub, which was 150mm below the top and drained 5mm a day is now full to overflowing, fron garden washed away, lost power last night once at about 7.30 for an hour and then this morning at around 2am, was still off when we left at 7.

Horrible wind last night, felt like it was from the east and it has loosened more roofing iron so we have a noisy rattle, one tree down the side, fell neatly between the fence and water tank but will need to be chooped up.

Going to inspect the new house in Trentham tomorrow, will be interested to see what 200mm of rain has done to my block, least I will know where to plant the trees,
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Even the suburbs are not immune to the weather - in spite of the major rainshadow overnight, the winds were not subdued! Only 1.5km away from my place, a woman was trapped in bed after a tree fell through the roof:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin

edit: love the quote from the young daughter: "Mum was just trapped under there and we took some pictures but she's all right now," Yeah, don't worry that your mum is trapped, just make sure you get some picture for posterity's sake!! :D
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

And apparently someone was trapped in a creek near Rockbank.....anyone know much about this story?