Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th -14th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Troughy thundery humid rain event. Jan 9th-15t

Post by daviescr »

Great to see so many areas getting some today - has been frustrating so far up here (and much of the eastern burbs) with just 6.5mm for me for the event so far. Hoping for more tonight...
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

I think it's high time Karl came home, at least then I might catch a few decent drops, still bugger all here :laughing:
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Lily wrote:I think it's high time Karl came home, at least then I might catch a few decent drops, still bugger all here :laughing:
Haha you're not wrong Lily! Had over 100mm at my place while he was there lol :D
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Mildura has copped a belting this evening. Up to 46mm so far today! Where is Twister?

It's interesting to see moisture ripping in from SE Qld across NSW towards us tonight...
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Up to 3mm rain today big total of 8.5mm so far.
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Only 1mil so far,on and off mizzle nearly all day.Humidity has been around the 65% to 85% and DPs of 17 to 20.
c
calamity
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by calamity »

Last edited by calamity on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Raining solidly now here in Horsham, 25mm to date 15mm in the last half hour. Plenty more to come overnight, could end up with anything overnight if this keeps up. Outlook for the west of the state is ridiculous with 150mm+ in the next few days... Un-heard-of rainfall figures. East wimmera has already coped 50-100mm , will be sheets of water everywhere, expect flood warnings to increase overnight.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

55mm Mildura since 9am! This is after their wettest Year on record and a big month December with flooding up there.

EDIT: Thats right Microburst
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Took a long time to get back "home" to Vic on the internet tonight.... we had 0.75mm to give us an event total of 8.25mm. An overcast easterly day and light rain just starting. Hope to get "my" 35mm for this Vic event and now seems to all arrive in a big bang on Friday evening for us Gippslanders?

Cant get over the stuff I've read and viewed re Lockyer Valley W of Brissie. The technician in me has been absolutely fascinated (not a criticism) by the management of the Wivenhoe/Somerset flood mitigation dams!!!! Somerset currently has outflow SHUT withholding 175% (of available 200% emergency capacity) to prevent further spillage into the Wivenhoe dam downstream which is at 200% full ...aka >100% flood mitigation capacity - at 174.5M (full flood mitigation level is 174M). This level is approx 1M below the "fuse" (a breakable section) - which I understand will burst at 175.5M and provide uncontrolled outflow back to 167M (albiet very much mitigated presumably by re-closing of the main control gates). THIS DAM IS BUILT FOR A 1:10,000 year flood and is being "tested"!!! WOW. In flows are now matching outflow but get this... 630,000ML/day expected flow rate at the peak which I guess is now.

A major flood on our McAllister is 80,000 and we had catastrophic damage in record floods only 2 years ago at a 4 hr peak flow of circa 300,000.

But for Brisbane, this amazing flow is only a "contributer" to the devastating Toowoomba/Grantam/Gattam flood coming down the Lockyer V (to hook up below Wivenhoe Dam at poor old Ferndale) AND the record breaking Bremer R flood just arriving in Ipswitch (bigger than the '74 event) - I'm no expert but looks like the "perfect storm" for Brissie during the (luckily normal) high tide on Thursday.

Wivenhoe/Sommerset have to get back to 100% level again - this will take a week imo. A week is a long time in this season for QLD.
Last edited by Petros on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
c
calamity
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by calamity »

Last edited by calamity on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
w
wobbie
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by wobbie »

Scored 40+mm here including yesterday evening's storm. It seems the rain is quite localised. If you're lucky enough to get under a heavy patch, as we have been, the total shoots up fast. The radar is looking ominous with all that widespread light stuff. The humidity is awful, something's got to give surely the heavens are about to open up all over the place.
r
rychenroller
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by rychenroller »

wobbie wrote:Scored 40+mm here including yesterday evening's storm. It seems the rain is quite localised. If you're lucky enough to get under a heavy patch, as we have been, the total shoots up fast. The radar is looking ominous with all that widespread light stuff. The humidity is awful, something's got to give surely the heavens are about to open up all over the place.
Kinda disagree, 35 mm since yesterday morning, its barely stopped but barely gotten heavy either. Seems like that over this side anyway.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Will Portland get flooded with all of this rain that's coming?
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

35mm now rain backing off thank goodness..... 25mm of that fell in about an hour.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Northern border border looking ominus, expect that to thicken.

Rhino. :) :)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Very harsh Ryan. You're talking about people's livelihoods - so you'd hope they are destroyed???
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Ryans Quote.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

One for the moderators i think.....
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Ryans Quote.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Light rain started 20 mins ago and is now steady.

Good luck to all those with relo's missing W of Brisbane - a black couple of days for Australia :(
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Darkeye ... you guys in Portland should prepare for moderate to heavy rainfall overnight which could produce flash flooding. Stream rises possible, but keep up to date in the warning thread and BoM website for all the latest.

Still raining here, more heavier stuff on the way too.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.