Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Day to Day weather talk

Post by Supercellimpact »

Hopefully this high pressure ridge can go into the tasman. Will have to keep eye out tommorrow then won't I . :D
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

5.5C here this morning so it was definitely a cold one. Once the sun came out it didn't feel bad though. 19C at home for a maximum.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Finally a beautiful summers day with light winds sun and warm temperatures....give me this and not all that rain any time!!!!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

An active weekend ahead. Friday should see a late shower or two and possible storm, Saturday will be fairly showery, particularly on the ranges and coastal. Sunday will be a very unstable day, classic 'coldies' and widespread heavy showers on and south of the ranges. Remaining cool for a while after that too.

Hopefully that will stuff the locusts up for a while.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Melbournes rainfall for November has been upgraded again 2 weeks after the month ended its now offically 115.2mm up from 107.0mm which puts Melbourne at 746mm for the Year 30mm less than 1996 (776mm) 1995 Melbourne saw 803mm!
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Rhys_34 »

Johnno do you know why the BOM does that after the month has ended? I would have thought the automatic reading of whatever rain fell in November would have been done straight away, where do they find these extra mm's?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

It's what they do with their quality control. When I was at the BoM, they showed me and actually got me to do a few.

They look at a station and compare it to sorrounding stations, depending on the difference between them, they may add several extra mm's or take away several mm's. Thats the best way I can explain it. They look for errors in data basically.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Rhys_34 »

From what you saw Power Storm would you be ultra-confident in the revised rainfall figures then for November?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

I personally don't think it is the best way to ammend rainfall data. I am sure that the BoM would not be able to exactly know how much a specific station in question received. But then again, it might be the most accurate way to do it for problem stations.

Maybe DJ can shed some light on this?
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

There may be a better place to post this (mods feel free to shift) but... big news from out west for those of us who follow these things - total Grampians storage is approaching 50%! http://www.gwmwater.org.au/index.php?op ... Itemid=131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last time this happened was 1997. The rainfall deficit continues to contract.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Great news Gordon! Only week or 2 ago it was 41-42%
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

lets hope their water quality will improve,
to shower in Horsham is like you just got out of a pool.
I know Mum was struggling with making a coffee from what come out of the tap.
50% is great news.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Another nice little update from today's MDBA report (my bolding):

"River Murray System inflows (excluding Menindee and Snowy inflows) for the month to date total
around 2,000 GL – which is already more than the previous highest December inflow on record of
1,830 GL in 1992. By the end of the month the total could exceed 3,000 GL (many times the long
term average of 418 GL) eclipsing the previous record by a significant margin.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Anyone seen this piece of stupidity? Once people start thinking with their brains instead of the rear ends you would be surprised how good this country could be.

http://jennifermarohasy.com/blog/2010/1 ... oded-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SNOWY Hydro chief executive, Terry Charlton, recently confirmed that water was dumped into the already flooded Murray-Darling Basin, but said the authority had little choice (The Australian, December 15, 2010, page 7). A real time operational diagram, however, tells a very different story.

Last Wednesday, Snowy Hydro could have sent water into Eucumbene dam. At only 20 percent it had a storage capacity of a whopping 4 cubic kilometres of water.

Instead, the water managers set the trans-mountain tunnels so water was flowing away from Lake Eucumbene at over 80 cubic metres per second (6,912 megalitres for Wednesday).

Water was filling Talbingo and forcing releases from Jounama pondage into the already spilling Blowering Dam, threatening the township of Tumut and adding to the crisis along the Murrumbidgee River.

As if this wasn’t enough, the real time operational diagram for Wednesday December 8, 2010, shows that this water, drawn from Eucumbene, was also being used by Murray electricity generators pushing even more water directly into the Murray Darling Basin.

“Mr Charlton was incorrect in saying that generation was only from inflows below Eucumbene last Wednesday, although they were large at the time,” a source told me this morning.

“Why weren’t Mr Charlton’s water managers pushing the water back for storage into Eucumbene from the Tumut system,” he asked.

Tumut River residents were issued with urgent evacuation orders last Thursday after the increase in outflows.

Desperate farmers phoned Snowy Hydro last week asking why flood waters were being sent west, rather than east to Lake Eucumbene, given this dam was less than half full, but their calls were ignored.

The Snowy Mountains Scheme was built for the storage and diversion of water with hydropower generation as a by product.

Current and past employees claim that the current board and management are now driven almost exclusively by money.

“The management are setting the business up for sale when the NSW government changes next year,” said one source. “They want the balance sheet to look as good as possible so [we] are generating [power] like mad, even when electricity prices are low and irrespective of downstream impacts.”
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Hows the warming going?

Might hit 25 this week, oh dear.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Then 29c christmas day. It would be nice if it stays below 30c for a few more weeks.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

I would post yesterdays graph but someone must be sick, and they have not been updated. Thats the graph for Friday, and even yesterdays will look even better.

avweatherforecasts.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

940mm of rain as fallen here since at the end of November last Year!!

CBD now up too 757mm as we stand/sit here at 1pm 19th December, to beat 1996 needs another 20mm to beat 1995 needs 47mm
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2010 ... he-fridge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Yeah Anthony its a fridge alright Melbourne yet to see the temp go above 33c this Summer infact it hasn't even touched 31c for December the 33c we had was in November.

Melbourne has offically had a wetter Year than 1996 now with 778mm passing 776mm which was recorded in 96