Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Obs)

Post by Rhino »

I_Love_Storms wrote:It would be so weird to be in the middle of those two storms between Beaufort and Hamilton!
It would be like watching a game of tennis...left, right, left,right...you'd get neck spasms. :D

Rhino. :) :)
T
Timster
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Timster »

IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg (187.09 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
Here's a close up (too close) shot of the storm to the west of Ballarat. Would be nice to be further away to see the structure. We're sitting just a the edge of it, can hear the rumbles, and see the blackness through the trees, but no action here..... oh well. Least I got some work done around the place today!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

And here is my updated thunderstorm chart for this afternoon/evening.

Thunderstorm Forecast - Day 1 (Sunday) Issued 4:35 PM EDT 5/12/2010

A trough of low pressure over South Australia is deepening. Scattered thunderstorms are currently occurring over western Victoria, with severe activity leading to flash flooding over the states southwest currently and even large hailstones. Further thunderstorm development is likely over western Victoria this afternoon, with only a chance for remaining northern regions until nightfall. An unstable environement will persist over western Victoria at night, and thunderstorm development remains favourable overnight, with the continued possibility for severe thunderstorms.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Frustrating day here, storms developed on our doorstep andd are moving in almost the opposite direction to yesterday away to the SW. Still not over though anything could happen from either the east or NE. Wierd radar you will see what happens when what appears like 2 storms collide head on.... near Dunkeld in the SW
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

NVM.. it just blew over. =/
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Hey ryan, I do see a bit which is strange...certainly don't expect anything but weird things have happened before.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

It's quite funny, they're blowing over to the right, then going back up again to the left. Not quite cool enough at a certain level. Teasing me!
I opted for beer instead of chasing today, wouldn't have complained if I got storms on the doorstep however.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

............I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. nope, too hot.

In other news, Brad is on a heavily rotating LP near Hamilton,
Steve is chasing one near Aararat and we have a huge tower going up near the Kilmore gap.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Bendigo guys, is there a tower somewhere east of you? I see one from here in the WNW-NW direction of here
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

schitzengiggles wrote: we have a huge tower going up near the Kilmore gap.
that may be what I could see driving North on Dorset Road,
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for FLASH FLOODING, LARGE HAILSTONES and DAMAGING WIND

For people in the Mallee, South West, Wimmera and parts of the Northern Country and North Central s.

Issued at 5:21 pm Sunday, 5 December 2010.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall, flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Mildura, Ouyen, Swan Hill, Walpeup, Horsham, Stawell, Warracknabeal, Hamilton, Portland, Ararat, Kerang and Maryborough.

Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Central district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.

Flash flooding and hail to 2cm has been reported near Daylesford at around 1pm.
26mm of rainfall was reported in 10 minutes at Dergholm (northwest of Casterton) at around 4pm.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Australis(Shell3155) wrote:
schitzengiggles wrote: we have a huge tower going up near the Kilmore gap.
that may be what I could see driving North on Dorset Road,
Nope, that'll be the one above Kinglake. It's really trying hard, trying to mature, but just falls shot every time it gets going.
Nice shelf cloud underneath it atm.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

The one above Kinglake is developing on the seabreeze convergence line, its very weak as its only about 10km/hr here, started to develop over me a while ago.

Doesnt look likely at this stage.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

It's gone. It went up and down like a yoyo for the last 2 hours. The recent SEly change killed it.
There's big convection further East though.
A line from Yea-Mansfield.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Might want to look at the Mt. Gambier radar ATM, there's a big one coming my way.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yes Darkeye. You are in the hot spot tonight!! Keep us informed. ;)

That shower/thunderstorm activity will continue its slow path SSE. Stuff over the NW will continue SW.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
D
DarkEye
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by DarkEye »

Power Storm wrote:Yes Darkeye. You are in the hot spot tonight!! Keep us informed. ;)

That shower/thunderstorm activity will continue its slow path SSE. Stuff over the NW will continue SW.
Depends if the power stays on Jake, cause I'm not liking my chances there, it looks pretty severe on the radar but ATM it's going quite slow, I wonder if will flatten out to a rain band after dark.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Very light southerlies all day here, in fact there was hardly a breath of wind today at all. 23.4C maximum and unfortunately very stable in the same general air mass as Melbourne.

Not expecting much now until Wednesday morning although a storm or two over that period is certainly possible on the west central ranges. Overall I am not really all that interested in storms for here as we need to dry out big time before this next big system. It is far too wet around here atm. Never thought I'd say that again after the incredible long term drought we had, amazing how things can change so quickly. It is looking like a 1200mm+ year here and probably the wettest here since at least 1973 and it will probably be one of the wettest years since white settlement.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Cell developing somewhere in NE Victoria. Its blurry cos its a crappy camera, but its huge as its behind Lake datrmouth, now has a huge overshooting roof. Looks like a mothership on its own in the sky.

Edit: Its almost disappearing over the horizon now, must be 250kms away.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

AV - I cant believe you can see that far to the E!!!

We have had a fully overcast low easterly cloudbank all day (at its worst atm), 0.5mm in frequent light drizzle patches and the E'ly is fresh and feels cold at 20C due to the high humidity. No sunshine at anytime today for us.

I reckon we should get frequent misty showers overnight unless some feature arrives to break these local conditions.