Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Analysis)

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Unsettled: 30th Nov - 4th Dec. (Analysis)

Post by norfolk »

johnno wrote:Yeah not good for farmers but for rainlovers and those who want their dams full looks good for another 20-50mm most of the state and thats not including thunderstorms. Latest UKMET already has 20-40mm over Northern parts of Victoria til Wednesday morning 10am
Definately not good for farmers. I've just heard NSW is looking at $5,000,000 worth of damage due to all this rain damage. (was on the news so who knows how accurate!) I am really feeling sorry for the rural community. First drought, now floods, they just can not win!

Enough is enough??
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 5th Dec (Analysis

Post by droughtbreaker »

It's just nature. Farming, especially crop farming is well known to be a tough business. Not just in Australia but worldwide.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

droughtbreaker wrote:It's just nature. Farming, especially crop farming is well known to be a tough business. Not just in Australia but worldwide.
This is true, but it still isn't a good time for a lot of farmers out there.
Now all we need is a week or 2 of dry and hot weather to dry things out!
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

norfolk wrote:
droughtbreaker wrote:It's just nature. Farming, especially crop farming is well known to be a tough business. Not just in Australia but worldwide.
This is true, but it still isn't a good time for a lot of farmers out there.
Now all we need is a week or 2 of dry and hot weather to dry things out!
Nothing to dry out here, but still very gratefull for a total of 65mm we eked out over the past 10 days, very scant since mid October out this way till recently. And we do have a full dam (glenmaggie), its just SSDS thats affected me.
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm event: 29th Nov - 9th Dec (Analysis

Post by Harley34 »

Felt hot and humid today. Very muggy. Wasn't expecting too much in terms of Storms today, although i did see some great convection in the distance.

By the way, i have extended the date to this event to the 9th (Thursday), as it looks like we have another shot at Great rain and thunderstorms for Tuesday/Wednesday, and finishing Thursday. Exciting for this 2nd wave of weather as the unsettled weather continues, and we yet again face another potentially dangerous flood situation.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Harley34 wrote:Felt hot and humid today. Very muggy. Wasn't expecting too much in terms of Storms today, although i did see some great convection in the distance.

By the way, i have extended the date to this event to the 9th (Thursday), as it looks like we have another shot at Great rain and thunderstorms for Tuesday/Wednesday, and finishing Thursday. Exciting for this 2nd wave of weather as the unsettled weather continues, and we yet again face another potentially dangerous flood situation.
Nup, bad move. That event is a stand-alone event. You've got to think of people looking backward in the future.
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Petros wrote:
Harley34 wrote:Felt hot and humid today. Very muggy. Wasn't expecting too much in terms of Storms today, although i did see some great convection in the distance.

Nup, bad move. That event is a stand-alone event. You've got to think of people looking backward in the future.
Ok. I'll make a new thread.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Appreciated Harley, and so would 15mm or more from the event if anything is left for us. ;)
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

This next event will have at least 25+ pages by the end.
M
Microburst
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Microburst »

Would be keen to get an insight into the major contributing factors into yesterdays bizzar day and also what TODAY holds for all.

Yesterday turned out to be an interesting day here in western vic yesterday with slow moving pulsy storm clusters. In the end most storms missed major locations expect for Mildura late in the evening with over 50mm. Steering winds seemed to play a confusing part with storms later in the day, with near stationary storms. Shame we don't have more reports from the west for yesterday.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi Microburst.

Yesterday steering of thunderstorms was generally towards the ENE over most parts of Victoria, however later in the day it changed slightly and shiftied more NNW, so Mildura was lined up perfectly for thunderstorm activity which moved over the area. Generally last night, there was no steering available, it was fairly weak, thus there was no movement generally from thunderstorm activity. John might be able to explain this better.

As for today mate. It will be similar to yesterday, except isolated showers and thunderstorms will be mostly focused across the Mallee, the WImmera and Southwest, so over the western districts generally. There is a lesser chance over the ranges as well, but most across the west this afternoon. Steering is poor again, so there will be minimal movement in thunderstorms.

I will be releasing my thunderstorm chart again this morning around 11.30 am, so stick around, I will have more detail in that.

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure John will be on later to explain steering a little better. :)
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.