Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm Event (Obs) November 22-28 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm Event (Obs) November 22-28 2010

Post by Blackee »

Cutofflow, are you able to name major roads that maybe affected between now and daybreak?
There will be people of the road and at night, will not know that roads will be submerged until they are in the middle it it?
The increase in releases have been swift and based on the recent warning, will be increased, thus exacerbating the problem.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
c
cutofflow
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by cutofflow »

Sniper wrote:Cutofflow, are you able to name major roads that maybe affected between now and daybreak?
There will be people of the road and at night, will not know that roads will be submerged until they are in the middle it it?
The increase in releases have been swift and based on the recent warning, will be increased, thus exacerbating the problem.
From knowledge, current road closures are all back creeks or minor flow areas (such as muckleford, laane) that if the rain stops, water will be off the roadways by daybreak. However its still raining here in maryborough so it could be a lot longer.

Most residents around here that live in 'flood hotspots' have road signs and markers to allow motorists a good early warning of hazards. My mate has a set of signs as he lives on the Bet Bet crk and they are always on the ball with them. 6.5m will see that hit the road but i think its an outside chance.

There's a low spot at Laanecoorie where the flood markers are (obviously) - bendigo to maryborough road. Baringhup town will be gone at least until noon at a guess but could be a write off all day, its an old low bridge. Newstead is cut off as usual in a flood, once the gauge goes under 5m it should be touch and go. Again could be whenever the rains pass. Wimmera hwy at Newbridge later today, lets just say 6am, should go underwater. Bridgwater touch and go but is a chance with these sort of massive outflows. There are more but im struggling at nearly 3am :|
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Thanks for that detail mate. I presume emergency services are well advised of the situation based on water authorities working thru the night to increase water releases. Just so dangerous having huge flooding during the night.
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »

tick under 60mm here since Thur. Amazing looking radar sequence at the moment, looks like a washing machine.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

25mm since 9am
54mm system
97mm MTD

Brother in Wes Vegas (wesburn) 34mm and still raining 12 24 34 total 74mm

Nice yellow sitting over Thompson Dam, nice if it sits there for a bit..

Mansfiled:
Rain 24 Hours 62.7 mm
Rain Since Midnight 45.6 mm
Rain 3 Hours 17.3 mm
Blackie will be flowing pretty fast at your place, got the camera.?
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Bureau are predicting Eppalock to spill later this morning. Upstream inflows hit 85000 ML/day! Major flooding expected downstream once it goes over. What a year.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV36750.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

It hasnt stopped raining here since 4:30pm yest, all light stuff to midnight and then steady rain since. Currently driving rain with a W'ly tilt, baro steady at 1009 hPa.

My gauge has spilled over the centre tube so expect circa 33mm in it since emptying out 3mm last evening so we may be nudging 40mm soon under this easterly dip. GFS predicted this 8 days ago.

We are presently experiencing the wrap-around rain I hoped for for today so watch out for flooding of the McAllister and Thompson as those areas are currently getting the same steady rain I am experiencing here. :D :D :D :raining: :rainfall: :umbrella: :woooo:

And this is the Glenmaggie level as it was yesterday.........
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Good morning all!! After reporting 18mm late Saturday night, we had another 20mm to finish us off for the event, so we currently sit on a MASSIVE 106mm!!!! That is absolutely awesome. The Goulburn River has gone over for the 2nd time this year, it is hard for it to flood! WOW! And EC predicts another 106.6mm for the next 9 days but that is for next system analysis... :D :D :D
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

20mm to 8am, bang on 50mm for the event. As big Rex would say, Magnificent!! :D
Some outstanding totals, especially through the Eildon catchment. Great to see Gippsland and Thomson catchment finally getting a good fall.
Now the focus is on flooding, and it is huge.
As I type, a Flood Warning has just been issued for the Watts River @ Healesville (again!).
Will post the details in the other thread, or please check BOM warnings as they will be updating very quickly today!
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/warnings/

VicRoads Road Closures
Sunday 28 November
7.40am

VicRoads advises that the roads listed below remain closed
as a result of floods and storm damage this weekend.

If you need to travel on roads you think may be affected and the road is not listed on this site, you can call the VicRoads Traffic Management Centre on 13 11 70 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for latest updates.

NORTHERN REGION

***NEW ROADS CLOSED***

Bendigo-Murchinson Road - closed between the Midland Highway and Northern Highway due to flooding of Campaspe River

Bridgewater-Dunnolly Road - closed between the Wimmera Highway and the Calder Highway

Calder Highway - closed between Wedderburn and Charlton. Traffic heading southbound is being diverted via Boort. Traffic heading northbound is being diverted via the Loddon Valley Highway at Marong.

Calder Highway - closed at Marong

Pyreness Highway - closed at Muckleford Creek and at Newstead
Pyreness Highway - closed at Carisbrook at the intersection of Baringhup Road
(both closures on the Pyrenees Highway are between Maryborough and Castlemaine)

Wimmera Highway - closed at Tarnagulla and Logan due to flooding of Murphy's Creek

Loddon Shire - local roads closed
Baringhup Road - closed at Cairn Curran Reservior
Eddington Road - closed between Eddington and Eastville

Northern Grampians Shire - local roads closed
Cherry Tree Road - closed at Archdale Junction where the bridge has washed out

WESTERN METROPOLITAN MELBOURNE

***NEW ROADS CLOSED***

Dohertys Road, Tarneit - closed between Tarneit Road and Derrimut Road

Cottrell Street, Werribee - closed between Market Street and Werribee Street
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Truly remarkable. And we havent even started yet. Next month could do anything, and given the state of our rivers and catchments that spells disaster for much of Vic..

54.3mm for the event here, which is a great result. Missed out on the 40mm storms by 15kms on Thursday and Friday, and the heaviest rain yesterday was out wes and North of us. So i think it was great, and the best part is that the Thompson catchments are getting a good soaking, Upper Yarra is already full so that has just given it a top up, and Yarra Glen will be minor flood tomorrow.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Morning all, I just emptied another 48mm out of my rain gauge - bringing the total here to 136mm for the event(since Thurs)!!
Peter
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

46.5 mm here, 85.5 mm for the event, 141 mm mtd, 988 mm ytd. Werribee River in moderate flood. Unbelievable, I feel like I'm living on the west coast of Tassie.
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

Weds 18mm
Thurs 12mm
Fri 45mm
Sat 40mm

Total 115mm

Crazy..............................
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

101mm here for the event so a stupid amount of rain, can't mow the lawns cause grounds waterlogged, and that wind is vicious. Oh well, just have to watch the cricket instead. :D

Rhino. :) :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Dont forget guys this has done nothing to erode the deficit...we need the water level to reach Mt Dandenong for that.

Once we turn a corner, we will be living in Goondiwindi.

Models are setting us up for a reminder message to climatoligists and parlianmentarians the world over...Mother Nature runs the world, and will destroy any theories suggesting otherwise.

Great falls Peter, looks like 120mm was pretty common through Central, will be interesting to see Janes/Clyve's pics as i assume Trentham and surrounds are underwater ..
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
S
Sebastian_00
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sebastian_00 »

Morning all :)

Well, my 110mm rain gauge has officially topped out, so I am now unsure of the exact total. What a massive event!!!!

Went and had a peek at the condition of the Werribee River here in Ballan (200 metres down the road). She is gushing. Never seen it in such a state.
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

stormygirl wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Sitting on 111mm for event here ...
An amazing total, Karl. I seemed to have generally missed out on a lot of the action. I only had a passing shower from the storm at about 3pm yesterday, and it intensified east of me, and then missed out pretty much completely from the northern storm a little later (only had anvil spits). No thunder/lightning what-so-ever (that I have been aware of, and I have been 'listening'!). 43.5mm all up so far since 24th. Not complaining...it's a great fall, but just seemed to have mostly missed out.

Got completely drenched today at the school election BBQ...but enjoyed every minute of it as I wasn't cold at all! :D
Maybe I should take some of that back! Ended up with 32mm yesterday, making my event total 63.5mm since the 24th.

November total now 97.5mm as of 9am this morning, and YTD total is 712mm :D Soggy mess outside, moat at the front door and the weeds will love it!
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

76mm for the event.. A whopping 38mm last night and evening.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Photos of the Maribyrnong River, courtesy of Johnno..

That is truly outrageous!

avweatherforecasts.com
S
Scott Lawrance
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Scott Lawrance »

Just measured 38mm which was all from overnight! A total of 85mm for the event since Thursday - fantastic!
The Ghin Ghin Farmstore & Cafe
www.ghinghin.com.au