Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Rain/Storm Event (Obs) November 22-28 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Rain/Storm Event (Obs) November 22-28 2010

Post by norfolk »

Andy wrote:17 degrees here atm. Low cloud rolling in from the SE. Not sure there will be much down this way......
Wow, I will have to get a jumper, seeing its very warm and muggy out here!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 5961565689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Storms sweep across Victoria, with severe thunderstorm warning issue

Matthew Schulz From: Herald Sun November 26, 2010 3:13PM

UPDATE 4.35pm: FORECASTERS warn Melbourne residents to brace for damaging winds, flash flooding and large hail as severe thunderstorms developed over parts of the city. Bureau forecasters detected severe storms over the city near Preston, Ringwood and Dandenong just after 4pm, with the intense storm bands heading east and southeast, prompting the bureau to issue a warning shortly afterward. The worst affected areas were expected to be Greensborough, Lilydale and Templestowe, as well as Hurstbridge, east of Mt Dandenong and north of Pakenham expected to be hit just after 5pm. A short time ago, residents had tweeted heavy downpours at Campbellfield and nearby La Trobe University. Others in affected areas said drains were overflowing. The heavy rain is causing long delays for many motorists heading home for the weekend, with the Western Metropolitan Ring Road and outbound traffic on the Monash Freeway worst affected.

The warning came shortly before heavy rain swept through the CBD, prompting the bureau to say they were considering fresh warnings for the city itself. Earlier forecasters issued a broader severe thunderstorm warning for much of the state, with heavy rainfall, high winds, flash flooding and large hailstones predicted before this evening. The severe storm warnings are current for Mildura, Horsham, Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Seymour, Maryborough, Geelong, Melbourne, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Traralgon and Bairnsdale. Thunderstorms had already produced very heavy rainfall, with 38mm recorded at Eildon, before 1.30pm today.

The SES has also issued a warning for people in affected areas to take care, and in particular to avoid fallen power lines, secure loose objects, avoid creeks and drains and to stay indoors if possible. The bureau said city travellers, including commuters, should have their umbrellas on stand-by with more heavy showers likely to cross the city before evening.

This follows forecasts by the bureau predicting heavy rainfalls across most catchments over the weekend.

Senior foecaster Richard Carlyon said today “We’ve got a general statewide warning for most of the state.” He said the falls in the city just after 2.30pm were heavy, but brief. “It certainly produced a sharp downpour. Through the rest of the afternoon I think we’ll see scattered activity throughout Melbourne,” Mr Carlyon said.

He said the storms were a product of tropical-type conditions over much of the state. “It’s a very warm and humid air mass very tropical in nature and we’re seeing widespread storms across Victoria today from the Mallee country through to East Gippsland,” he said. He said he expected a “brief respite” from the weather pattern by the end of the weekend, before the state returned to a storm pattern by Tuesday.
f
firestorm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by firestorm »

in the bad spot again today overcast low crud with occasional drizzle was surprised to get into the car after work and hear about these damaging storms! down here you cant see much with all this low stuff hanging about! enjoy again all :D
V
VRSTORM
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by VRSTORM »

35mm of rain here in about 15min flash flooding!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Had reports of flash flooding in Campbellfield - our warehouse provider has had to shut the warehouse because the water is up to the bottom of the doors on the cars in the carpark and rising...

Rog.
Last edited by Instability on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

Can hear some thunder here, probably from all that mess in the north!
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Yeah dont think the blackwood cell will get here. My bad luck with storms continues. Wouldnt mind being at the airport. All go go go.
fortius quo fidelius
A
AmaroK
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by AmaroK »

raining heavy again with a few loud booms. Nothing substantial here for now. Think most of the action for the east will die off over the next hour. Losing a little confidence. Incidentaly, the Doppler looked rather interesting bout 10 minutes ago.
Jason: The Token Weather Noob
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Getting very dark here!!! Scud cloud hanging below the bases looking ominous
S
Spargs
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Spargs »

Go Sunbury!!!!!!! Constant Thunder Lightning and small hail! been going on for at least 30 mins now!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Eildon Fire Tower reporting 61.4mm :D

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in parts of the
Inner,
Northern and
Western Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 5:12 pm Friday, 26 November 2010.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:15 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Gisborne, Sunbury and the area north of Bacchus Marsh. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. They are forecast to affect Craigieburn, Melbourne Airport and Sydenham by 5:45 pm and Footscray, Greensborough, Melton, Preston and St Albans by 6:15 pm.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Flash flooding has been reported from storms around the Melbourne metropolitan area, with 27mm recorded at Maribyrnong.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

You people from Melbourne better not whinge about not getting thunderstorms again!! They are amazing over you right now, well the suburbs at least. No substantial storms down here since last Summer still! Southwest missing out again.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
c
ckeenan
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ckeenan »

i can cry as i wont get one on another note its cooled down here alot with the Seabreeze.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

If I'm not right on the east edge, Im right on the west edge, then If not it splits and goes around me.!
Except when there is damaging Hail. or fierce winds..
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

sTRONg!!! gust of wind VERY STRONG!! :D
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

amazing how it all rumbles and gets severe then turns off like a switch and then starts again later...

no rain since earlier this arvo here but looking ominous
A
AmaroK
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by AmaroK »

Power Storm wrote:You people from Melbourne better not whinge about not getting thunderstorms again!! They are amazing over you right now, well the suburbs at least. No substantial storms down here since last Summer still! Southwest missing out again.

Not sure these "storms" are as amazing as the look on the radar. Predominantly a rain event here with a few cc rumbles. at least in the east.
Jason: The Token Weather Noob
g
gerta
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by gerta »

Things getting quite stormy in Marong.

The inlaws managed to collect 50mm yesterday and neighbors about a 1km where we live received over 60mm.

Apparently pouring in downtown Bendigo
S
Spargs
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Spargs »

May I say I need a boat to get out of my driveway!! It is not letting up anytime soon! I reckon a good 10-15 mm has fallen here in the past half hour maybe even more!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Happens to the best of us, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. You have to admit, it's still fun watching it all unfold, no matter where it's occurring in the state, right? That's why I value this forum so much, because we have people from all over the state reporting in, makes it feel like you're there, even when you're not if you know what I mean? :D

Wind's still coming in from the NW, DP's at 20C now with 91% humidity. Would love to hear from people in the northern suburbs and out west :D

Ckeenan & Gerta, can you do us a favour and go into your user preferences and set your location? Just a rough location will do, helps us to know where everyone is reporting in from. If you get stuck, pm me and I can walk you through it. Thanks :)