Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Unsettled. November 20th-21st 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Victoria: Unsettled. November 20th-21st 2010

Post by Karl Lijnders »

A brief respite from the vicious rainfall events and maybe with some luck we can conjur up some thundery weather across VIC this weekend. Granted the pressure trough is not the strongest feature, but some residual cold air aloft may support some convection deep enough for scattered thunderstorms across the ranges with temps in the mid 20s.

Here is our very important moisture source as we go into E winds on the weekend....

Saturday on current prognosis will see isolated showers across the inland and thunderstorms over the NE and C ranges.

Sunday will see activity become scattered across the state with severe storms possible in the east.

Monday the activity moves to the east

So perhaps not so benign after all and maybe some fun chasing to be had!! Cross your fingers stormygirls and boys!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Unsettled. November 20th-22nd 2010

Post by Supercellimpact »

Yeah I was just looking at that, not the best setup but anything will do!! One or two models have something down and bom has nothing.. I'll have a listen to what BOM has to say at 5.30pm on ABC. ;)
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Hmm. looks pretty marginal, maybe some isolated showers or storms over the NE ranges, not expecting anything down here. In fact looks pretty dry here for the next week.
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

beware the weak trough/cold fronts they can bite! Remember the last weak cold front/trough, it spawned a couple of supercells!

I think this weekend will be rather unsettled just depends on where the tail of the trough wags to.
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Models will upgrade as the week wears on. Don't think we will see too much Saturday but Sunday we should see thunderstorms and possibly even some isolated heavy falls.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

The latest storm cast has moved activity to the north east, as expected.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Hmm, marginal at best IMO.
Models not buying it at the moment. Think you'll need to be lucky to be stuck under a storm, but hey things could change.

Am looking forward to a blast of warmer weather next week! ;)
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
a
adon
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by adon »

Would be quite nice for the mallee at least to be dry for the next few weeks wile everyone is getting harvest over and done with. Looks like only an outside chance of storms so a lot of people would be happyt with that.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yes this weekend does not look very active at all in my opinion. Perhaps some isolated thunderstorm activity over the eastern ranges during Sunday, but minimal elsewhere.

As DJ says, warming up next week ahead of a trough. Discussion on this is in the General Weather section of the forum in the 'Looking towards' thread.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Models have scaled back a long, long way since the thread was opened.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

3mm here today from drizzle so not a bad little drop in the end.

Here is the latest for Sunday.

Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Everyone have a look at Thursday the 25th on Storm cast , looks good but will change
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I think we are a better chance of seeing some "severe" storms from that than anything this wknd will bring. Trough coming across from the west Thursday as others have mentioned, so hopefully a trigger for some widespread action.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

It is interesting Karl. I dismissed everything for anywhere but the east for Sunday earlier, but latest US extending the instability a little further west. Just looking at that in a little more detail, conditions would probably be right for isolated thunderstorms to develop mainly along the ranges during the afternoon. Still a few days away, but will keep an eye on it.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

2mm here today. Rain was quite heavy as I was coming home around 6pm, so must have been a few embedded showers in amongst the mizzly stuff.

GFS has an uncanny knack of picking storms out of setups that look extremely marginal, in my experience it is right more often than not. EC and the other models don't seem to have the same talent in this regard. Still, at this stage I would be very skeptical. It should remain fine IMO but we may be surprised.

Nice week of warm to hot weather ahead. Great for growth, drying out the excessive moisture around (never thought I'd ever say that again :o ), the grain crops that are in the middle of harvest, and giving us a taste of summer. Bad for locust attacks unfortunately, I assume there will be clouds of them by the end of this week. Let's just hope they don't have too much of an impact south of the ranges with everything so lush and green down here and gardens as spectacular as they are right now.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

droughtbreaker wrote:GFS has an uncanny knack of picking storms out of setups that look extremely marginal, in my experience it is right more often than not. EC and the other models don't seem to have the same talent in this regard.
GFS has been nothing short of brilliant in the last 8 weeks.
K
Kris
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Kris »

I think we might be short of a storm this weekend. Next weekend is already looking the goods for some isolated thunderstorm activity. After a week in the low 30's something should start to happen by Friday at the earliest.
Check out the weather in Seymour, Vic: http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_F ... =IVICSEYM2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Kris, PM me if u r up for chasing the election weekend:D I am free after 1300 Sat/Sun.
Peter
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Models are starting to agree with good falls of between 15mm to 40mm it's just the timing, but the trough will come though between thursday and Saturday but is now a matter of which day.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Please keep the chat about next weeks potential in the General Weather section at this stage until a new thread is opened here. Thanks guys. ;)

Otherwise, this weekend still remaining quite marginal. Eastern ranges on Sunday looks to be the best bet with very isolated thunderstorm activity.