Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Series of fronts - September 12-20 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Series of fronts - September 12-20 2010

Post by Dc449 »

Their was drizzle before the footy but that all stopped just before the match started.
fortius quo fidelius
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Cold and sunny this morning then mostly cloudy this avro and overnight

Cold this morning down to 2c with a light fog.

Another cool sunny week ahead cant see rain till after GF weekend at the earliest
Looking like big wet weekend across QLD and parts of NE SA, NT and E NSW
Warming to almost 20c up here next week with lots of sun and little cloud

All this non weather is a shock to the system lol should pick up again come October
Now Living in Wet QLD
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

2mm while someone was snoring.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

2 mm overnight brings us to 10.5 mm for the system-ish thing, and more importantly tips us over 100 mm for the month. Surprised how this series of very weak fronts & quite high pressure is actually accumulating something. Much of the time it feels like those 'nothing' fronts of summer, but then a few showers appear from nowhere.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

About 8mm for the sequence back at home and 5mm here for the period.

Not much today with breaks of sunshine. Seeing a fight between a winter airmass and spring time sunshine. Should see that tustle continue most of the week.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Incredible mass of anticyclonic gloom visible on satellite over the bight associated with the massive high. It literally stretches from here to Kalgoorlie with just a few scattered breaks in amongst it. Is this spring or late autumn?

Heat will be building in the NW inland of AUS with this stagnant pattern so expect a blast of heat sometime around late September to early October. Should be days in the high 20s to low 30s in warmer parts of the south if cloud or rain doesn't stop it.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Yeah starting to get boring to weather down here lucky the footy is keeping me entertained!

Dull, cold, bit blowly with the odd spit nothing weather really.

I can smell a 20c soon its only a matter of time
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Grand Final weekend looks very likely for a 20C in Melbourne, and even mid to high teens up here. :) After that there is heat building through the NW which is more than likely to blast us the following week. It's very early days and I'm certainly not calling this but there could well be high 20s temperatures, or perhaps mid to high twenties, in Melbourne then and with an inland low or trough of some sort likely we could be in for a stormy period and very wet again. Probably the wrong thread to mention this but this weather is so boring we need something else to talk about and it's too early to start another thread for a speculative scenario.
typhoon29
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by typhoon29 »

has any one seen where to purchase a surface to high pressure system missile?
Ballarat, Home of the Anti-Thunderstorm Shield!
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Today was 6th day in a row at 16c, avg is 20.5c so quite cool for this time of the year

After this high breaks down next weekend, looks like will be replaced by another week of ridge so looking dry right through till early October i reckon

Cant really see anything major, and yes after all this action last 2 months it is quite boring these 2 weeks about 5 days down and about 10 to go i feel at least.

Lucky we are all quite wet, but things will dry quickly once temps warm to 20+ and sun comes out.

Yeah looking very wet for QLD next 10 days, already quite a few 100mm falls with over a weeks more rain to come crazy stuff, let the floods begin up there.
Long wet 5 months up there to come one would expect.
Now Living in Wet QLD
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Overcast and drizzly here today for the most part. There was a break of sunshine this afternoon and boy did that sun feel warm!! ;) A few more mm's into the gauge to 9am this morning as well. September total just ticking along.

Does look promising for a 20 degree day over parts of southern Victoria on the Grand Final weekend as previously mentioned. I am thinking this is more likely to happen on Sunday as winds tend a bit more westerly, even west to northwesterly. Saturday at this point in time looks a bit strange IMO with a weak frontal system likely to pass to the south tending winds southwesterly and possibly providing coastal/far southern parts with drizzle during the morning.

Otherwise, continue to expect isolated light showers in the south, particularly coastal, for Monday, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday morning, as the flow remains southwesterly with the dominant high still near the Great Australian Bight. Thursday and Friday should be generally fine IMO as the high moves closer.

Beyond the weekend, still looking like high pressure systems mostly dominating the weather.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Cold and windy here today but managed 18.9 C during one of the sunny breaks. Got a trace of rain from wanabee showers overnight.

Its dry here and nothing on the horizon, will be a lot of irrigation water about the place next week to combat the wind born evapouration over the past week or more. Lucky we had a good snow season up above Lake Glenmaggie which has just shut down spill entitlements.

Maffra won the Gippsland footy league grand final yesterday at a windy ocassionally damp Morwell oval. Less than 20 golfers here yest (I had to work) so half the town was probably down in Morwell (and I think 5% of the town are staggering around down at the footy ground as I type a day later!).
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Have had heavy drizzle here for the last half hour. Drops are too small to be picked up by the radar.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Plenty of drizzle to. Best precip of the period and could linger for a while. Be nice if it could go 5 days straight.

Pressure on the rise too.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

It must be all restricted to the Dandenongs/Middle/outer Eastern suburbs cos rest of Melbourne has much brigher skies with even sunshine at times
S
Spargs
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Spargs »

Pain in the a*** drizzle here in Sunbury, makes it very hard to paint this model for uni and get it dry! And it looks like nice drying weather on the weekend after the model is due! :|
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Maximum anomalies temps Yesterday for the Country..

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/awap/temp/ind ... y&area=nat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c
cutofflow
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by cutofflow »

As of 1.30pm Mt. Hotham airport is sitting on 13.7c :o Can that be right? Falls creek is on around ~9c and the actual Hotham summit has been as high as 8c today.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801 ... 4905.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parts of the lower alpine areas are warmer the entire western and northern half of victoria atm due to this annoying southerly stream of dry cloud. Goes to show it will warm up very quickly when that monster high decides to move on and the sun bakes us 8-) Cant wait :)
Last edited by cutofflow on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D
David
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by David »

1mm of drizzle this morning which has cleared with some sunny breaks, pretty boring weather really.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

What an incredible chart that is John!! Simply amazing!!

As soon as I thought the drizzle would set in it but it vanished as soon as I posted lol!!

1mm here also from this morning.

It is tending warmer though just a fraction each day. And it smells more like spring too!!