Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Strong Westerly Frontal Belt. Aug 22nd-28th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Strong Westerly Frontal Belt. August 22nd-?

Post by stratospear »

Weeaproinah now up to 533mm for August 2010.... I notice Mt Hotham had 567mm in August 1990 (mostly snow).
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Karl Lijnders wrote: Weeoporinah had 27mm as well bringing them close to 500mm for the month!!
Weeaproniah has had more than 500mm!! Amazing!! If you weren't sure how to view exact totals, or you just simply forgot were to find it or you haven't checked for a while, you can go to:
Weeaproniah: http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Home of it: http://reg.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go the bombersss!
H
Harley34
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Harley34 »

Any1 got a detailed update on the position and intensity of the squall line?
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Weeaproinah a near certainty to break its all time monthly rainfall record. Only around another 6mm needed there.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

i personally dont think we will see anything like last night, but i am happy to be proven wrong!!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

The front is still sitting from Bass Strait through Mt Gellibrand and out towards Horsham.

Andrew I think they would have just had 6mm in the last half hour with the front :P

Steady rain here. Really good soaking rainfall. 2.8mm here so far today. System total of 26mm.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
N
Nick Sykes
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Nick Sykes »

Hey Guys

Pretty steady rain here in Oakleigh for the last hour, that little band is trailing over us, get heavy at times. Keeping an eye on the line of shows over the Otways moving NE atm, this looks like the change, could see something more interesting later as it moves over the relatively warming bay at night :)

Also watching that cloud on the sat pic racing NE from west of tassie.

Nick
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

The front is WILD came through here last 20 mins heavy rain strong winds with gusts around 60km/h blowing rain and COLD.
Dropped to 9c with wind chill of 5c thats nuts for up here
Also more heavy rain on the front

4.5mm for the day great locally, and looks like most have had 5mm or more 10mm for alot of folk in the SW and on Mount areas
Monday 2.5mm
Tuesday 2mm
Wednesday 4mm
possible few light showers, drizzle before it all clears

Many folk in Vic have had over 100mm for the month which is just unreal few 200 or so and some over 500mm, unreal wet month.
REALLY hope it continues into the warmer months
1 more front tomorrow can see it S of SA racing N NE but wont be as good as today still many should see more showers and snow with another 2-5mm for most

Only 23mm for the month one of the lowest if not lowest in the state, even dry places just to my south SE have had 50-80mm
Last edited by Twister on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Living in Wet QLD
S
Sharon
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sharon »

Rivergirl wrote:Hey Duckey :) Hasn't been any snow or sleet here in Ferny Creek today, don't know about Mt Dandenong tho, probably not.

No snow in Gembrook either, but its been absolutely freezing and I have been expecting it all day.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

We certainly haven't had anywhere near 100mm in this boring wind swept area, just over 50mm for the month. It's still an excellent result, normally we would be lucky to get 20mm a month in winter. :)

Had the lightest of passing showers before, just enough to wet the ground. Nothing recorded in the gauge yet.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I'm going for a drive tonight to Mt dandenong, snow or not...

But I would love to know the chances from others for snow.
Will the change bring colder weather than this which means snow up ther?
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I'm sure anyone up on Mt D will tell all if it does happen to snow there.
You never know, the temp might drop far enough for it to actually settle as well
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Steveco, I'll be up till 1 or 2am. I'll post to the forum if we have any snow flurries :)
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

nafets wrote:
Harley34 wrote:Can anyone please explain why the line last night suddenly intensified, as it past the inner/eastern suburbs of Melbourne?
Im not 100% sure why, im also not 100% correct, so if im totally wrong someone please butt in :D ! I think as the CBD is a great example of a UHI, the heat remaining from the day that was trapped in the concrete jungle lifted (warm rising air) collided with the incoming showers to become heavier. Yet again im not sure as it was dark by the time the showers hit. ;)

EDIT: does anyone think there will be a squall line? if so what time do you thing it would hit? Also to AV, would you classify John and i apart of the CBDesert? :D :D
Nafets, no, you have to live actually in the desert itself. Its now the driest place in Victoria despite surrounding areas getting good solid falls. its also warmer than anywhere south of Rockhampton to Dampier in the winter.

Still waiting for the front to emerge out of the hole, i expect it will probably thicken as it gets closer to the radar, also with a combination of the radar showing it better. Tomorrows front in the morning looks great too.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Snow is awesome, especially for it to fall. I know it used to fall a few times in the dandenongs, but its not 100% safe with the Mountain Ash trees :| . Not that it would snow that heavy if it did, but wouldn't that result in massive gum canopies to collapse over the houses? Trying to thing optomistic i still really want snow to fall over the Dandenongs!! :D ;)
Go the bombersss!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

hillybilly wrote:6.1C up here after an overnight min of 1.6C. Our coldest day of the year, but yet again no snow. We used to get snow up here 2 or 3 times a year....

Suspect it will be just slightly too warm tonight - currently we have 5C and rain and I expect to drop to around 3C. Got 2mm of rain today with light rain continuing ATM.

BTW - "Weeaproinah a near certainty to break its all time monthly rainfall record. Only around another 6mm needed there." Tanybryn 16km from Weeaproinah got 892mm in June in 1952. Weeaproinah got just 538.1mm which makes you wonder if they missed some at Weeaproinah that year :?: Could be worth a snoop for someone with more time than me :P

It probably comes down to topography. Tanybryn also holds the daily record for Victoria. Weeaproinah is on the top of a ridge whereas Tanybryn is in steep country and nearer to the coast. I would think Tanybryn would do better in SE flow but that's just a gut feeling there. I wonder if June 1952 saw a few really big 'SE flow around a low' events?
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

I was making another donation to my poor struggling dentist when the front came through franger abt 5.30ish. It was warmer at 6.00 than at 4.30. A bit of rain on the roads and a new sight for me to see...

There was this odd patch of white light over the bay, it looked like the full moon shining through light cloud, the rest of the sky was black. Ey whats this, no moon, sun is west not south, took me a few seconds to realise that the cloud had parted to leave a small patch of clear sky, behind that black sky was the light from the still setting sun. The clear patch was no bigger than a full moon on the horizon. Ive never seen this before and I doubt I will again, was just amazing.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Speaking of the moon, did anyone see the full moon slung low in the western sky early this morning? I was driving along Ferntree Gully Road and it looked amazing :)

Bone chillingly cold here, 999.1hpa and 2.8mm for the day.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Forgot to add on my previous post that there was extensive low-level snow across the whole aspect of the S side of the ranges from Mt Erica (Moe side of Mt Baw Baw through to as far as the eye can see towards Bairnsdale. Yet nothing at the same height on Strezleckiis to the S side of the Latrobe Valley, that was strange to me.

Cold and windy outside still, and hoping for a shower or two over the next few hours similar to last night - despite rain shaddow progs for this location on all models.

We have totalled 48mm for this month after a lucky 24mm start on day 4, spot on long term average so cant complain. Yet the ground is dry, even if topped with green (but sparse) grass in the non-irrigated areas. Like most, I suspect this will be topped up with a massive flooding dose before the not too distant future.

[edit] - geez things must be wet around the Sheparton area!!! Anyone got any info on the impact of the rain in Vic C N and NE on the Murray RIver system?
Last edited by Petros on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

That front cloud mass in the bight is rocketing NE will be in SW Vic just after midnight, could move through much of VIC by morning crazy stuff

NE getting good dumping hopeing it equals to 20-30cm of snow there tonight that be great
One more wet wild day before easing slowly

4mm here today and hail and 60km/h winds
Now Living in Wet QLD