Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

2009/10 Summer Snow

Post your forecasts, reports, webcams and anything to do with the white stuff over the winter period in Southern Australia. Let us know how the ski slopes are, from cross country, to the black diamonds, to general snowplay and chasing. This forum is for you.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

2009/10 Summer Snow

Post by norfolk »

thought I would start something in here....

so what do people think about summer snow this year....possibility?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: summer snow

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Depends with surges in colder air. Christmas Day a few years back we had a very nasty surge of cold air at Christmas which not only provided enormous rainfall through C VIC, but snowfalls all around the region. This followed a fairly humid and sultry spell with areas of rain and thunderstorms so things can turn fast when you throw colder air into the mix.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Yeah, Christmas 2006 was crazy.

We had a shower with hail at the end of Christmas lunch and the temperature got down to 4C, we rushed up to the top of the mountain but there was no snow around but there would probably have been flakes before we got there. That was a very rare event though and the coldest Christmas day on record. Normally you would rule out any falls over Summer below around 1500m asl.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

hillybilly wrote:We need thickness values up here of about 532 to have a chance for snow.
Hi Hillybilly, Sorry for noob question here - can you tell me what 'thickness' is?

and wider question - is there somewhere I can look up all these acronyms you guys use??? :?

Thanks
Chris

(Hi Chris - I have moved this question into the Nerdy Forum so people can access it for reading and educational purposes) :)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

HI Hillybilly,
Great answer - thank you! I have a long way to go, but enjoying this new hobby / obsession / wife-annoyance..

take it easy,
Chris
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Looks like a dusting of snowfalls likely over the Alpine region over the next few days with a deeper southerly flow. If it really winds up, the low that is, then we could see snowfalls extend to 1200m asl. That would be impressive for mid January!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com