Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough and Unsettled. April 17th-22nd 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
F
Flangfest
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough and Unsettled. April 17th-22nd 2010

Post by Flangfest »

Amazing pics Hamlan :D !!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Great pics Hamlan, very nice structure shots! Didn't see the structure that good from this side, but I did miss out on shooting the dusk lightning :( as I was home feeling sick at the time until pain killers kicked in to go back out.

Just finished going through my pics now, well most of them. Will post soon...
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's my pics from the 20th and early 21st

I went down to the bay at Edithvale as I wanted to cut that cell off over the bay, it was moving so slow I had time to go up to Blackrock closer to the cell and in a better position for lighting.

One of the first pics I took as I got to Blackrock, could hear a few deep rumbles at the time

Pano from same spot, this is not complete and has bad joins

Another pano further down the beach with the sun getting blocked out

Storm moving SE towards Frankston

Pano

Was getting dark with clouds over head and a fair few CG's over the water so tried to get one using continuous shooting mode

Later on that night near Berwick I met Robo from Weatherzone and some other people watching/trying to get pics, it was nonstop CC flashes all over the sky and only a few rare CG's which one of them wasn't to far away leaving a loud bang with everyone jumping back in their cars :D

There was some interesting structure after we got rained on by the side of this cell, had rain on lens for the next sequence of shots

After this we had a heavy down poor and Robo left along with most of the other people but I stuck around to see some rain embedded crawlers across the sky

After that cell died off, this one from the NE lit up

I moved up on the other side of the hill as the cell above died off and there was some action further in the distance

"Danger High Voltage" lol

Looking North now with some not so bright lightning/structure shots, was using 400 ISO for these

Things had died off so I got something to eat and went back home with a few flashes around driving back. Later on a cell went passed Lilydale and could see out the front door some CG's so I headed back out to Berwick with a heavy down poor and some random flashes to the N and East. I spoke to schitzengiggles a few times trying to work out what direction was putting out the best lightning but it was just so random and inconsistent. I ended up going down the road to Harkaway looking NNE to see some of the best lightning for the night, I had almost gone home at this point until this cell got active for 20 minutes.

thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

Nice work AUS_Twisted. I like the Black Rock shots. Am feeling really stupid as I was heading that way and thought I'd be too late to catch that cell, so abandoned the chase - doh! The last lightning shot is my fave - well worth waiting for!
East Camberwell - storm free zone
thunderhead
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by thunderhead »

The radar is currently showing a lot of lovely rain topping up the ocean between Phillip and King Islands.
East Camberwell - storm free zone
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Thanks Aus_T, it's funny looking at your pics and thinking to myself, hmmm those strike looks very familiar. I think we were viewing at least some of the same strikes. Where were you shooting from for the last series of pics?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Stephen they are amazing photos!!!!!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

Robyn, Hamlan, AUS, fantastic pics. I hope I didn't miss anyone one I didn't go through the whole thread. Robyn I loved the contrast of yours, Hamlan I loved the "almost a donut" pic, very cool and AUS your wide anvils were spectacular. Great work and that's for sharing!!
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hamlan, I was between Narre North and Harkaway, closer to Harkaway along Brundrett Rd for the last set of pics.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Hi all, here are my pics from Wed night April 21 taken in the areas of Mernda and Arthurs Creek north of Melbourne from 3pm thru to dusk. I got some good rolling thunder at Arthurs Creek Cemetary (cemetary pics) before the cells went outflow and rain closed in. I got hit by very strong winds and near horizontal rain (see pic) from 2 different cells each dumping their precip in seperate 10 min bursts that lead to some minor flash flooding and gave the car a good clean! Then I met a few bovine friends looking west, got some great views of the storms moving to the east and finished off with a great sunset on the cloud tops and boiling convection over the ranges. 8-)

Aus_T, just similar lightning behaviour on totally differrnt cells I guess because I couldnt see to Narre or Hark!

mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Great pics one and all. Fantastic composition all round.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Gobsmackingly brilliant pics guys. In awe of all your talent. :applause:
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!