Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Deep low followed by troughs / fronts May 30 / 31

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Deep low followed by troughs / fronts May 30 / 31

Post by hillybilly »

Just hit 25mm for the event. Currently hammering down, though looks like it might ease in 10-20 minutes.

Nice wet start to June after a slightly below average May here in the end.

BTW in the random and interesting stats, Melbourne just squeaked above its long-term average in May which makes five months in a row. That hasn't happened previously in any single month. Just by chance you'd expect it to happen about every 32 years. I suspect it is so rare because heavy rain at the end of a month usually means the next month will get off to a slow start etc (because our weather events typically take 5-10 days to cycle).

EDIT> Gonna need to build an Ark if this rainfall continues. Just passed 32mm for today (since about 6am). Peak rainfall north of 50mm/hr. Jeepers will be some impressive snowfall rates when this hits Mt Donna Buang etc.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

It sure is wet & rather miserable. Thank god for the warehouse here at work, which has been a saving grace for my Kelpie today. ;)

Winter has well & truly arrived. :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Been a cold wet start to Winter here (Sebastopol) 7.6mm's up to 9am and a further 7.4mm's since then.
So 15mm's all up. Highest temp since 6am has been 6.3c - Airport 6.1c.
May was also colder than normal with daytime temps - 0.7c below normal coldest since 2011.
Night time temps were -1.3c below average coldest since 2006.
Rainfall was close to average (depending on what averages are used.)
I had 70.7mm's while Ballarat Airport had 63.4mm's Long term average is 64.6mm's but the last 40 year average
1980 to 2019 is 54.3mm's at BAP.
Yearly long term average at BAP is 687mm's but last 40 year average is 625mm's.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Up to 28mm for the event with the creek now in flood. Nice one to have today and enjoy it as it looks like nothing for the next 2 weeks. Wind is very strong here, must be insane up the top of Mt Dandenong.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas temps today: Campania 17.0, Hobart 16.9, Friendly Beaches 16.7, Smithton 15.5, Launceston 13.5. Today Hobart (16.9) was 5.8 degrees warmer than Melbourne (11.1).
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gone past 35mm here. That is about a third of the way to the monthly average :D. Miserable max of 7C with fog and rain pretty much the whole day.

Cities max of 11.2C is the coolest June 1 since 1943. There have been plenty of cooler days since then, but none on June 1.

There’s another front for tomorrow and then a stretch of swly arm air advection which will be showery in the south. Will take a while to clear. Couple of sneaky upper troughs showing up for next weekend. Wouldn’t take much for it to wave.

BTW, interesting that GFS nailed today while the other models missed the focus of the rain. EC had just 5-10mm, for example. Odd as when GFS is different it is usually wrong ;)
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Parts of east central have certainly done well today. 9.6mm in total here. Not exactly a drenching but a reasonable start to the month. We ended up about 10mm above average for May, completing five months in a row above average, but I’m not feeling too confident that June will be a repeat. It’s our second wettest month here, after November, but a month is a long time so fingers crossed there is less high pressure blocking later in the month.

It briefly snuck up to 9.5c today, but most of the day sat around 6-7c. Currently 5.7c and a bitter wind. The wind chill is currently 1.7c.

Rain has cleared here, so not expecting anything more tonight.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Quite a large tidal surge showing up on the bay tonight. Running around 40cm, with the tide high enough atm for local flooding around the bay. Still might get a little higher. This is the ex-TC tidal anomaly from Perth (a week back) coinciding with a local surge from the low passing through Bass Strait. Current level is approaching 140cm which is about 10cm above the level that usually starts to cause minor problems.

Still thick drizzle here. Up to 40mm now. Had a couple of heavy bursts around 10mm/hr with the lightest colour on the radar.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Classic Wet Cold winters day, argh only 4 months of winter to go lol

25mm here today the record wet year rolls on

Weak fronts, upper troughs next 2 weeks nothing heavy or widespraed but wet spots prob see another 20mm or so
expect another 10-20mm here next 2 weeks

Hoping more major fronts and much further inland penaration as we get into late June into July and the Wly belt really stands up and links with the Indain ocean.

Mega highs domnating next 2 weeks
Bring on the heat and stroms
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

For me, talking from past years, June and the first half of July are the most boring with high pressure and mainly calm weather. Mid to late July things ramp up, and the strongest cold fronts are usually August and September
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Finished on 43mm here, the same as the local AWS. Nearly half way to our June average.

There’s another front later today which should reintroduce a showery 24 hours in southern Vic.

Here’s a photo from yesterday. Really summed up the day. We don’t get nearly enough proper winter days in Melbourne :D
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Somebody should seriously look at amending the dumb 9am to 9am rule for observations. It makes me nervous when following records :D :D :D

That 11.2 max for yesterday was just equalled at 9am hahaha
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Yesterday's 9.0 degC max makes it the coldest day since July 11, 2018. The next 2-3 weeks look rather anti-cyclonic. Some cold mornings in the mix.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am Somebody should seriously look at amending the dumb 9am to 9am rule for observations. It makes me nervous when following records :D :D :D

That 11.2 max for yesterday was just equalled at 9am hahaha
If you change it you muck up historical comparisons. It might seem like changing the hours won’t matter but it does for many variables as the weather follows a daily cycle so when you start and end a day has an impact. It is greatest for temperature.

A cold foggy and damp one here today. Max of 8.5C with another mm of drizzle. It looks like a damp night with drizzle getting heavier outside.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

8mm overnight. MTD about 50mm, or half way to the average. Looks like 10 to 14 days of blocking highs now.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

1.5mm overnight and 21mm for the dates - good start to June, also puts us a whisker shy of 400mm ytd.

Can't compete with the Dandenongs but that's pretty good by our humble standards :). (At least some sun and less wind sounds pretty good for a bit too.)
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gordon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 am 1.5mm overnight and 21mm for the dates - good start to June, also puts us a whisker shy of 400mm ytd.

Can't compete with the Dandenongs but that's pretty good by our humble standards :). (At least some sun and less wind sounds pretty good for a bit too.)
I live here out of choice. I always wanted to live in Melbourne’s wettest and coldest suburb. Didn’t quite make it - coldest spot would be in the flat area behind Mt Dandenong where there is a nice little frost hollow (perhaps 40m below the summit) while the wettest spot is somewhere near Olinda, probably close to the Football Ground. Still getting within 0.5C and 50mm is pretty good :D Be honest, I wish our winters were about 3C colder and our rainfall about 200mm higher. 1500 to 1600mm seems ideal - basically no fire season and no need to water the garden. -3C would give us a week or two of snow a year :D Most people would think me a little bonkers :hysteria: :hysteria: :roffl:

Chilly one here today with a max of 8C. Few spots but nothing to click the gauge over.

SAM is going very positive and we score a huge high as a result. Maybe a shower or three for the weekend and quite chilly and perhaps come decent frosts. Guess a chance for a really cold day in spots if frost or fog hangs on given uppers dip to around -4C at 850hPa and we are so close to the solstice. New thread???
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Reached 10.5c here today with 0.2mm from some morning drizzle. Only about 11mm for the dates here, so I reckon we might be counting on some hefty rainfall later in the month If we are to reach average, given the highs will likely hang around for a little while. I don’t mind too much at this time of year though, as it can still feel quite wintry if there is fog and frost about. Plus we’re sitting on 544mm YTD, so it’s hardly dry!

I really like the area I live in. It was our choice too. It’s not the coldest and far from the wettest, but the winter feels longer and colder and the summer shorter than in Melbourne, yet we’re only just over half an hour drive into the CBD. I also like all the visual changes that happen in the rural landscape as we shift from season to season. That said, I would love to have semi-regular snow in winter. If we could just raise the central ranges up about 800 metres, that would probably do! Although in that case, Macedonian would be well into alpine territory! Or maybe shift the continent about 1000km south...
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

A very frosty and chilly -1 degC this morning. The air feels dry too under this 1035 HPa high.
D
Derwent
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Derwent »

Another warm day cloudless in Hobart, again 14c . All I can see is high pressure and more more high pressure. If this keeps up down here it's going to be very dry before the fire season starts again.