Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by Dormant »

Since my gauge overflowed, past 200mm, I'll never know how much rain we got in the last six hours if Bunyip doesn't check in. One might say it was an 'interesting night' while the rest of Australia burns.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

First off Happy New Year to all you keen weather watchers :)

A beautiful night of storms and rain after showers and small storms on and off most of yesterday.
140mm in my gauge this morning.

I had 48mm for Saturday morning .

Now the creeks are running again and the frogs and toads are all happy.

It is hard to tell friends and family of our great rain here while there homes and farms are burning around them.
The total destruction and the intensity of these fires is something else, trees that have seen plenty of fires in the past are
reduced to piles of ash and thick forest country totally bare.

My rain chart will go live in the next day or so , I'll update my sig line then.

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

It's just so good listening to rain on the roof again. Soaking rain too, so that's even better.

Suns out now, but maybe more in the coming days. 48.2mm since 09:00 yesterday. Totals around the alerts were quite varied too.

I'd like to see the poor buggers in the south get some rain,- and a few cooler days for the people
to maybe get on top of the fires.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

118mm and it's not over yet.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

21mm yesterday afternoon.
Raindammit
New User
Reactions:

Post by Raindammit »

GFS is hinting at a Low or TC in the Coral Sea after 19/1, coming in from the Gulf.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Hey guys and girls :)
Beautiful night of rain in the Daintree.

Raindammit : can you share a link to the GFS you are using ?
I can't seem to use the page from the BSCH , don't know if it's changed a link or something.

Off to a great start in 2020 with 317mm in just 9 days ..

Link to my chart is now live.

Happy wet season everyone.

Cheers
Raindammit
New User
Reactions:

Post by Raindammit »

FNQBunyip wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 am
Raindammit : can you share a link to the GFS you are using ?
I can't seem to use the page from the BSCH , don't know if it's changed a link or something.
I uses this one for GFS:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... region=aus

The BSCH site appears to be broken, only seems to show 1999 lol:

http://forecasts.bsch.com.au/raincast.html
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Thanks RD.. I don't spend as much time looking at all the charts ect now days and scraped my catalog of links in a clean up some time ago.
That link is just what I needed.

Another 71mm over here this morning :)

Happy Friday
Cheers
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

:) G'Day folks,

Another 68mm to add this morning.
Be nice to get the mower over the place but not complaining , just love the wet stuff.

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Nil to report this morning.
A cloudless sky yesterday.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

So envious of you Daintree guys..

Tully sugar mill has recorded 57.8 mm this year so far..

Took the dogs down the swimming hole for a swim the other day and the wwoofer wouldn't even go in once the dogs stirred up the silt and leaves.....said it was too dirty...

Say him intently studying the achtung crocodile warning sign so maybe that also had something to do with it..

It is getting a bit feral in the creeks though...even our drinking water from up higher in the rocky gorge tastes not so nice.....glad I finally put on a filter last year...hopefully soon it will get a good flush..

very minor issues though, comparatively, considering whats happening down south...how absolutely horrible seeing all the wild and domestic critters getting burnt up...
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Chillagoe is smoky enough to challenge Sydney, maybe not that bad, but almost as bad as it was back in September last year when we had fires all around here.

Where on earth is our Wet Season? It's half way through January, and fires are building up again in the Featherbeds.

34mm rain in December, and 35mm of rain in 3 falls this month. Just enough to very slightly green the weeds, but not enough for them to get rampant, and not enough to green up the grass.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Looks like a little something brewing "out there"
Tropical Disturbance Summary For area Equator to 25S, 160E to 120W
ISSUED FROM RSMC NADI Jan 122300 UTC.

TROPICAL DISTURBANCE TD04F CENTRE [1002HPA] WAS ANALYSED NEAR 14.2S
161.9E AT 122100 UTC SLOW MOVING. POSITION POOR BASED ON HIMAWARI-8
IR IMAGERY.

DEEP CONVECTION REMAINS PERSISTENT TO THE NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE
SUPPOSED LLCC AND REMAINS POORLY ORGANISED. CYCLONIC CIRCULATION
EXTENDS UPTO 500HPA. THE SYSTEM IS LOCATED NORTH OF AN UPPER RIDGE
WITH GOOD OUTFLOW IN A LOW TO MODERATE SHEARED ENVIRONMENT. SST IS
AROUND 31 DEGREES CELSIUS.

GLOBAL MODELS HAVE PICKED UP THIS SYSTEM AND GRADUALLY MOVE IT
SOUTHEASTWARDS WITH SLIGHT INTENSIFICATION.

THE POTENTIAL FOR THIS SYSTEM TO DEVELOP INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE IN
THE NEXT 24 TO 48 HOURS IS LOW TO MODERATE.
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

ayasifiedshak wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:06 pm Looks like a little something brewing "out there"
Tropical Disturbance Summary For area Equator to 25S, 160E to 120W
ISSUED FROM RSMC NADI Jan 122300 UTC.
Is 160°E to 120°W all Fiji's watch area ??
That's about 8500 km's. In fact, 120°W is about the same longitude, (but not latitude) as San Francisco.
I would have thought Peru might have had a say in disturbances that far east.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

G'day all and a happy happy New Year to you all :)

We've had a total of about 6 mm since the start of the year here so far, 40 C + in the shed here today again and some really... REALLY! frustrating near misses with recent storms just a few km away as the Crow fly's just missing us. Got a bit of grass in the paddocks that is still alive just, but still hand feeding the cattle/horses each day... This time last year we were flooded in still with three feet of feed on the ground, just got to love the vagaries of the Weather huh? Whether you get some Rain or not .
Been watching it hit all around us over the last week or so, some awesome light shows just tonight alone with a late 80's feel to the strobe effect down to the south east from us here, FCKU being under that event as it was pulsing like an epileptic on Acid watching it from here earlier tonight.
We have had some decent fall's in our local catchment up on Mount Lewis area which has seen our water source flush a couple of times and raise the creek level a bit, and bring the associated tannin levels up a bit as well though with some tea coloured drinking water.
Along with everyone else here though, we are still not doing it half as hard as some of our brothers and sisters in the south of the country huh?
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

marakai wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 am G'day all and a happy happy New Year to you all :)

We've had a total of about 6 mm since the start of the year here so far, ...... just got to love the vagaries of the Weather huh? Whether you get some Rain or not .

Been watching it hit all around us over the last week or so, some awesome light shows just tonight alone with a late 80's feel to the strobe effect down to the south east from us here, FCKU being under that event as it was pulsing like an epileptic on Acid watching it from here earlier tonight.
I watched a fair bit of the radar images tonight, and there were 4 or 5 cells that looked like the ran over the top of your joint.
Especially between 22:00 & midnight. If they missed you,- it was by SFA, distance wise. You can't miss out every time,- sh!t. no-one is that unlucky. :P
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Currently in Warrnambool.

13°C this morning. Where is this 45° heatwave?
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

28degrees wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:48 am Currently in Warrnambool.
Warrnambool ?? :o

I'm afraid that,- if Planet Earth was constipated,- Warrnambool is where they would insert the enema. :(
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hickory wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am
28degrees wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:48 am Currently in Warrnambool.
Warrnambool ?? :o

I'm afraid that,- if Planet Earth was constipated,- Warrnambool is where they would insert the enema. :(
My friend thinks that too. Lovely coastline though. Wild grey seas we don't see in the north. Being really cold, all day, is weird.