Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria - Hot blast ahead of a milder change - 18th Nov to 21 Nov 2019

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria - Hot blast ahead of a milder change - 18th Nov to 21 Nov 2019

Post by snowfall »

38.7c today. I wasn’t home but had 1mm recorded with the change, and presumably some thunder and lightning. All looked too fast moving on the radar to add up to much rain. Lots of dust around today in Melbourne - just an awful blast of desert heat and wind.
B
BigBen
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BigBen »

hillybilly wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:09 pm
Tassiedave wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 pm 40.9 equals Melbourne's hottest November day?
BTW the point value FFDI values for today are just eye watering. Values widely popping over 100. When you think 100 used to be the top of the scale, the frequency that we go over that nowadays is a problem :( So so lucky we had all the gloomy damp weather earlier in the month.
iIs there anywhere where the numbers are posted. Someone on WZ used to post them pre Black Saturday but since then you get the amalgammed index in a coloured map and that's it.

I say that as I find a HUGE difference in code red days, wasn't there some projections of 500 on the FFDI for that Saturday (Stawell or Horsham airport I think) and that makes me Nervous with a capital N. A 100 day does not, cautious for sure but nervous, no.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

The dust from the Simpson Desert yesterday made for some amazing skies:

Note "Skippy" in the 1st pic!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

6.5C at my place this morning. Much better. 8-)
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas temps today: Bushy Park 25.0, Campania 24.4, Hobart 22.8, Launceston 22.3, Scottsdale 20.5, Wynyard 19.9
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

A chilly 7C in FC this morning which is more reasonable for spring :D Glad to get this event behind us, though the ease with which we break heat records is a big problem. Seems now that all we need is a dry spell and decent northerly and and we make runs at records. Not looking forward to any repeats come January or February :?

Btw got a late report from the family that it hailed at our place on Thursday with the storms. Just small and melted but hail. Son described it as a death storm... shame I missed it :D I’ve seen hail a few times on extreme hot days in the Nongs as we often get high based convection pop up in the flow disturbed by the Macedon ranges to our northwest. In these set ups you get a convergence of dry northwest flow over the western burbs and slightly more humid northeast flow over the eastern burbs which fires storms on the wind change. Really fascinating as the dewpoints here are often 5-10C higher. Same happened on one of those 40C Friday’s in January when we also got a brief heavy rain and hail storm.