Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-??? 2010

Post by Mosaic »

storm was heavy duty, insurance will cover your loss.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Terrible luck Lily. I reckon you are in a bit of a hot spot down there for severe weather when the right setup hits and it looks like you pretty much copped the worst of it. Not something we are used to in Melbourne and southern VIC, we are starting to get the same problems Brisbane and Sydney have.

Was on a train out to the Blue Mountains in January 2008 and in the outer western suburbs of Sydney every third house had blue tarps all over the roof, it was incredible. Apparently they'd been smashed by two severe hailstorms outbreaks in the previous few weeks, some houses actually had half the roof smashed in and it looked like a tornado had been trough, so yes, hail can and does cause extreme damage.

It is starting to become a reality now, as much as we all love storms and are desperate to see them over our areas, they can be very frightening when they are as severe as we had today. People on the east coast know all about it but down here we are a bit naive about it because they have never really been this big a problem in the past. Several storm outbreaks that I have been in this year, both at home and in Melbourne, have had me very apprehensive whereas I never really got nervous in a storm before that.

Rain streaming in now of the gentle variety that does not cause damage but still keeps the totals ticking. :D
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

facebook group called OMFG at the hail storm in Melbourne 6/3/10!! has some incredible photos
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Something that has only just caught my attention through all the excitement and craziness. Lancefield has had 76mm so far for this event and there are some places in the NE that are at 80-90mm. With around 50mm likely tomorrow over the ranges and the potential for up to 100mm in places, Anthony's 200mm+ event for isolated parts of VIC is looking pretty good and many areas could be looking at 100mm plus including Melbourne.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Lily.. AV posted this on page 45,
http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1267862400
I am situated approx the D on Caulfield, you wouldnt be too far from there either.
To top of my day's events my video camera chewed the tape, of course it has memorable things on the tape not only large belting down bouncing hail.
Lily check there is no water near electrical equip, I flicked the switch on the main power board for my stove and wall oven as I had water gushing out my pot cupboard which is directly under my electric hot plates and down the side of the wall oven.
damiantheomen
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by damiantheomen »

hey lily - got a phone call from one of my clients that lives in lysterfeild - he no longer has any mulch on his garden beds so will be up there next week to fix but he also had 2 cars out in it and they where severly damaged not to mention the windows and concrete roof tiles that where smashed.

Serious damage from a serious storm - luckily no damage for us down here but wow what a day!!!! ;)
L
Leroy
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Leroy »

Sorry to hear of your problems Lily, I'm sure everything will work out.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Lily, my sympathies with you - must have been so scary.
AV - You were right mate. Biblical. And we're only halfway through yet. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yet to read through the 350+ posts since lunchtime - just had a quick scan, but here's what I got to see in my little corner of the world.

Looks like I dodged a huge one today doing odd jobs around the house - 'only' scored 18mm here, but still happy with that. Really amazed at some of the footage I've seen. Here are a few clips I took with time lapse from my porch - nice WSW vantage point.
First one is of the main storm passing through Ringwood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUB8d3TLhes

Video doesn't do it justice, sky was an amazing green - picture with SLR:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46651830@N ... otostream/

This one is from my back yard, just to illustrate the immense speed of the outflow to that secondary system, at around 3.45pm. Garden faces NE and scud is moving NNE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlPylVO7x_8

Final clip is back out front again, at about 3.52pm. Sky was clearing and could see the next front pushing in behind the first. Lovely images.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogBspz7xOo
And a picture at the same time:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46651830@N ... otostream/

Anyway, looking froward to catching up on everyones experiences
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks everyone, invitation still stands to Mosaic and anyone else for that matter to come out and have a look tomorrow, just pm and I'm happy to give our details (but the neighbours and I might put you to work cleaning up, you've been warned lol!). Shell, I'll have a look at that link, thanks :) Here's another one, this was taken from under cover at our local service station, this would be approx 1 kilometre from our home up the hill a bit more.

I wasn't going to post further pics, but thought these few were worthwhile showing you, this is another dent along the boot different one from the last pic. Also worthy of mention is that our drive is on a downward slope, the rear of my car was pointing uphill and is facing SW:

Edited to say, Shell, thanks for that, I had missed it. And yes, we've turned off electricals, our safety switch had gone off when we got home.
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »

johnno wrote:WORST STORM OF MY LIFE ABOSOUTLEY TERRIFYING HERE!!!!! DAMAGING HAIL FOR 15 MINS!!!! LEAKS IN MY ROOF MY BACKYWARD IS ALL WHITE 4 INCHES DEEP LAWNS ALL WHITE 5 TO 10C COIN SIZE HAIL ROUGHLY 60-70MM IN 40MINS MY ELDERLY PARENTS WERE FREAKING OUT. EAISLY THE MOST WORST AND TERRIFYIGN STORM OF MY LIFE!!!!
Hey Johnno how good? Been following you on the forums for years now- today was the ultimate. I was at flemington races. Couldnt believe it. Carpark flooded, lightning, hail, water flooding through inside via light fittings, blackouts inside, crowd going crazy, people stranded no trains etc. pure mayhem. tragic. Was absolutely insane. Took some great pics on my mobile will have to upload later. Couldnt believe the hail was still stacked up a foot deep in some places 3-4 hours later. Dont reckon we'll see this again for years

Looking forward to follow up rain on Monday. The next sunstantial rainfall for SE aUS hey.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Mosaic wrote:yeah, there was wicked damage, just doubt that image was caused by the ice,if you can get away with it, thats ok:) My car has 30 or so pock marks on it after the business.
I have a friend in Rowville who had her windscreen smashed and both wing mirrors completely ripped off the car - and the panels look like the aftermath of one of those old British soccer riots.

When the infamous hail storm hit Sydney I was working for Ansett at the time, and we had to ground 6 aircraft due to hail damage. The worst was a B767-200, which had a hail stone punch a hole straight through an inboard aileron (an aileron is a trailing edge control device on the main wing that makes the aircraft bank to turn in flight). I remember flying into Sydney for months later and seeing the mosaic of tarps on rooves, so don't understimate what this storm could do to a 1mm thick boot lid skin.

Good luck with the cleanup Lily.

Rog.
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »

Anthony Violi wrote:MY GOD AT THE RADAR...THATS JUST WRONG!!!

BIGGEST STORM EVER!!!!
Hey AV well done with this. Was at the races all day and copped it. IS There any way of seeing the radar for it as it happened e.g. radar replay?
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

@Chillout - AV has been quiet for a while, here's what you are looking for. http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1267862400
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »

Dez wrote:Anyone able to save the radar frames for this please (after it ends)? I'd love to see it all getting replayed.
yeah ditto. is there anywher to 'replay' the radar. Got home then, thought I'd recorded the races on 7HD only to realise my dvd recorder can only tape standard digital. spewing. was absolutely amazing to be there. Will never forget watching wanted win- pretty much midnight black, 3 mins befoer the mega storm arrived.
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »

schitzengiggles wrote:@Chillout - AV has been quiet for a while, here's what you are looking for. http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1267862400
hey mate i appreciate that. awesome. unbeliveable. doesnt do it justice watching that going so fast though. The black is unbelievable. Never seen it such a large area, so long lasting. When the hail hit, I thought it would last 30 seconds or so. Went for 10 mins plus, carnage, then bucketed for 2 hrs.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Back from my trip, ended up North of Shepparton till dark.

Lilly that sucks to see, I've only read 3 pages since I left at 1PM but I'd believe you without any pics as my dad rang me up when I was near Bendigo and said one of his friends was hit by the storm along Stud rd about 4k's from my place (we had pretty good hail here to and some dints on cars, trees are stripped of there leaves). His car is pretty much written off, broken windows, huge dints every where etc. His kid was in the car at the time very scared and crying as they would in such situation, I had fairly heavy hail near Kyneton turn off on Calder Fwy and that was pretty much deafening for awhile and could probably only see 5 meters in front of me (no damage to car from when I quickly checked)

Hamlan rang me up when I was on the SE Fwy warning me about that cell, it had a wall cloud when I was at Calder Park and then had a lowering almost to the ground (lots of junk and dust flying in the air as I was fairly close to it), I'll post a few pics soon.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

can't wait for these pics twisted!

i should be getting to bed and getting into it early tomorrow..!

anyone that's newbie friendly heading out tomorrow?
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Here's that beast of a cell near Calder Park from the NE side, this was taken at 17mm wide angle from Calder Fwy to give you a idea of the size of it, it was raining a bit at the time and winds started to pick up strongly. I took off soon after as didn't want to get directly hit. Will add more tomorrow.

s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

14.28 looking north over kinglake ranges from shoppingtown car park. adjusted brightness/contrast to bring out the detail in the cloud. i have no idea what it is, but thought i'd post it cause it looked interesting, and a little like one hamlan posted a while ago. the cloud in the background was moving east along the range towards the yarra valley, while the closer, much darker cloud was moving westbound in a hurry.
24037_344649537658_701852658_3806006_3727390_n.jpg
24037_344649537658_701852658_3806006_3727390_n.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 6195 times

the below are looking w-wsw from doncaster shoppingtown car park, the one near coles. after looking at the radar, i assume this is the very edge of the first storm. this came with a large temperature drop, very gusty winds and large hail. the sound, the wall of white approaching, and the rapid movement was as exhilirating as it was scary.
24037_344649557658_701852658_3806008_2836908_n.jpg
24037_344649557658_701852658_3806008_2836908_n.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
24037_344649577658_701852658_3806009_7577995_n.jpg
24037_344649577658_701852658_3806009_7577995_n.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
c
chillout
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chillout »