Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-??? 2010

Post by Lily »

Thanks Tizz & Cim. Adding insult to injury, not only is my manual gauge smashed to smithereens, but my weather station is also shot to sh#t *sigh*

Off to check the BOM for rainfall totals, I guess. Amarok, if you get back on here, let me know what you recorded :)
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Very eventful day, got the edge of the main storm, still had crazy rain here, no hail, a few flangs just a shame it went just to my north. Still had plenty of thunder and lightning around tho
fortius quo fidelius
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Still plenty of activity in the east/north east and north vic/southern nsw by the looks of the radar...incredible multi-day event!

For those in the know, where are the best targets for tomorrow? I plan on getting up early and making sure i don't miss anything!
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

The bands seem to be intensifying now. Big night ahead weather-wise.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

rain now, and off the roof.. lightning continues in what i think is the kinglake area.

any idea why they wouldn't be showing up on the weatherzone stormtracker?
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

Lily, really feel for you and the family. Its going to be a tough period. As has been mentioned listen to the insurance companies, find what you can on the web e.g those that went thru similiar situations as yourselves and most importantly before you do anything photograph and video everything. Oh and grab a copy of the radar images from http://radar.strikeone.net.au/ and any other material that may help your case.

If you have a Pay Pal account, I would be more than happy to donate something for a new Gauge, Weather station or whatever you see fit.

Keep smiling
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Judd. This side of the border is a writeoff I believe, cloud will cover any potential and keep it to cool to see the utter explosion of today....probably embedded storms but just ugly to chase.

Our chase target tomorrow is near Hay, we intend to kick out of Bendigo around 8am to get into the region...anywhere between there and Deniliquin would probably do though...its capped, unstable, storm motion from the N or NE, excellent shear, slightly slower storms, perhaps somewhat lower instability, but I would say fantastic potential for isolated SCs. (Doing a forecast while driving through Bendigo before I crash in a heap....exhausted). I would suggest trying to be near Hay around 11am to give yourself potential to be on location.

Goodluck. I will do an updated forecast in the morning.
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

stuff I saw coming out of the system was unnatural, not supposed to see pool ball biz being spat out & bouncing into windows.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Finally have a couple of pics, still trying to upload and having all sorts of trouble tonight. As we drove down our street, we noticed many cars with tarps over them, plastic covering windows and roofs:

My car bonnet:

A couple of the upper floor windows that are smashed in, the one on the right is my daughter's room, there's glass all over her bed and her toys, she's only 7 and quite upset :(

Glass & water damage on her bedroom floor:

My son's bedroom, his is one of the rooms with damage to the furniture, can't work out if it was glass or hail that did it:

One of the dents on the boot lid of my car, it's taken the paint off in places:

Trying to get to the front door was an adventure in itself, debris everywhere and my roses stripped!

My car again, note the damage on the garage door, looks like someone's taken to it with a hammer:

brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

hey guys caught up on all the posts! Lily dude that is some damage! sorry for that to happen and everyone else that got hit by this monster! What a memorable day people. gosh i miss vic weather. thanks for all the reports and pics/vids ;) Deff. helps the SDS here :P
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

The shot ofthe boot looks old damage ily, doubt that got naturally dinted like that :) guess you can hope:)
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

Couple of catchment falls to 11pm

Tarago - 41mm
Silvan - 25.2mm
Cardinia - 20mm
Sugarloaf - 19.2mm
Maroondah - 15mm
Thomson - 14.6mm
Yan Yean - 8.4mm
Upper Yarra - 0mm to 5pm
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Cannot see any lightning to the N. How frequent is it??

Fat rain here!!!

Are you serious Mosaic?? I saw antennas snapped off, tv antennas loosing spokes and car mirrors being ripped straight off.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

I can assure you it's not old damage, not at all. The car's only 12 months old and didn't have a mark on it!

Yes Karl, we have bits of antenna in the backyard, no tv, no foxtel, evap cooler isn't working either. Don't know about the roof tiles, I know a couple are gone but haven't been able to check the whole roof yet of course.
Mosaic
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Mosaic »

yeah, there was wicked damage, just doubt that image was caused by the ice,if you can get away with it, thats ok:) My car has 30 or so pock marks on it after the business.
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

@Karl - it stopped 1/2 an hour ago
S
Sean Mac
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sean Mac »

Who said it was damaged by ice/hail alone Mosaic?

Sorry for your damage Lily...as much as many of us get excited and are in awe of events like this, there is always the other side of it where someone has been personally affected. Wish you well in the cleanup tomorrow and the coming weeks.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Lily I believe you with your damage reports and I know that your not dodgey like that. 10cm hail travelling at God knows how fast will dint your car bad. My sister had towels on hers and she has massive dints on the roof and bonnet.

Anyhow heavy rain out here on Mobulk. Should spread west.

Thunderstorms possible but more likely towards 4am.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Mosaic, you're more than welcome to come to my home tomorrow and see the damage and destruction of homes and cars in our area. I'm serious, pm me and I'll give you my address and you can come and see for yourself.

I was going to post more images to convince you, but have decided that I have no reason to further justify myself and don't need to do that. However, as I have said, I will welcome you here tomorrow and you can then retract your comments made here on this forum about my claims.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Just catching up on the most recent posts. I am so sorry to hear about the damage Lily, I hope the clean up go's well and all the best with the insurance companies. As long as everyone is okay, that's the main thing.

Otherwise, it was a very major and archivable event. Very, very good! Not for here of course, but Melbourne!

We are currently seeing rain areas pushing through here with some moderate rates atm. Should be an okay 9am total and then there is tomorrow which should be fantastic. I still think there could be some fairly big storms somewhere across the state tomorrow, but yes cloud cover is going to be the big dampener on activity. I am really hanging for a thunderstorm. Also atm, some fairly fresh to locally strong winds.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.