Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-??? 2010

Post by Hamlan »

Lightning spotted on the cell near Deniliquin. We are on the road near Echuca, positioning to interecept some multi-cell convection thats looks good on radar in what is reasonably clear air. Highlights of the chase so far include driving through cloud...exceptionally heavy rain, pies while looking at the sky in Elmore...and cows blocking our way.

I think the bureau 2-day forecast is way conservative.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Pour down here, about time! :D
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

It's going to go off later. Getting very warm and humid now. Looking forward to it. :bringiton:

BTW I am pretty sure that low is a ton closer to us than was progged. Getting into a nice NW flow now, we should see some decent falls soon, possibly storms.
L
Luken
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Luken »

I reckon it is strating to look good for Melbourne now. The radar is starting to fill in north of the ranges, and looks to be streaming down towards us. This coinciding with some good heating and plenty of moisture around should mean it will set in from around 4:00ish at a guess. At least 10mm for here tonight will be just perfect as an entre.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Steady rain broken up by burst of heavy showers here. Very tropical! Puddles are growing at a rapid rate!

Lovin it! :banana:
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

No storms today to much cloud and rain about and trigger is quite weak over central Vic thought cloud and rain might be an issue, also thought there be some nice storms around but not so and SA trough to far away so in nothing land really, even the rain band is having troubles but its getting there atm.

A wonderful moist soaking 12mm here to 9am which was great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
15mm at airport
14mm at Remark
97mm at Broken hill SO annoying once again missing massive falls but 12 is good 30 would have been great though, and they are only 250km to my N.
So be some big flooding up there after 100mm last month, also farmers up there i am sure are having the best start ever, its great to see places like that get so much rain.

Nothing since 9am lots of low cloud and VERY HUMID 25/20c if only had some sun and the SA trough on the border today be some Big storms and loads of flash flooding

Still think tomorrow wont be as big as models say, will see a bit of drying of moisture but still impressive and there will be quite a bit of rain about and quite a few storms maybe a squall ,line quite possible. drive to Melb will be very interesting.

BTW I totally agree with your post this morning TU water the north, west, dams and farms is pointless over concrete
Now Living in Wet QLD
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

In shep now, just waiting to see what this nearby band brings.
Rained pretty much all the way from Bendigo, heard a few static blasts on the radio to but just heavy grey skies, no definition. Rapidly loosing any enthusiasm for the afternoon, let's hope the evening holds more promise...
S
Sean Mac
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Sean Mac »

I appreciate and concur with the sentiment that rain is needed and welcome across much of rural VIC for farmers and townships who have battled for too long against this prolonged drought, as well as the catchments for Melbourne water storages, but to say it is pointless for Melbourne is not quite right.

We've got sports fields, historic gardens and plenty of private property in dire need of an Autumn break drink, both suburban and rural fringe.
Similarly, many of my manufacturing clients across town from the west to the east, have invested heavily in stormwater catchment, recycling and reuse. Any rains that falls on their roof/concrete is far from a wasted drop nowadays. Working on the fringe of the building/construction industry, you'd be amazed at the lengths to which business/developers are going to not waste a drop, including CBD.

Rain for Melbourne is not quite a wasted as it once was, and while I for one hope it pours over rural VIC, don't ever think its wasted when it falls in Melbourne, because that couldn't be further from the truth.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Chris head to the west of the rainband to the clear air where the trough sits. Storms should develop between Swan Hill and Cape Otway. Your chasing rain there mate.

Call me if you need further assistance.

Things getting juicy for Melbourne with rain and storms moving down. Looking good from here in the Dandenongs where I will be this weekend. Monbulk near Silvan Dam.

As for talk about water being wasted on Melbourne, I understand the concept but can we enjoy it too.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

No lightning in Vic as yet - http://www.gpats.com.au/php/repository/VIC.html

Lets just be patient, hopefully something will develop behind these rainbands.
D
David
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by David »

Rain isn't pointless in Melbourne, there are many parks, pockets of bushland, farms on the outskirts, lakes, creeks, wetland etc. I understand that it goes to more use over farms, dams and the catchments but it is definitely not pointless in Melbourne.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Band looks fine to me. City will get a drenching soon.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Ok haven't done 1 of these for ages but thought in times like these I would give it a go.

My state forecast the next few days..

Rest of today:

Humid. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in most areas clearing in the West, more widespread over the Central and Eastern ranges & tending to rain locally up there. Light NE to NW winds shifting WSW over Western areas.

Saturday:
Isolated showers and thunderstorms over Central and Eastern ranges at first becoming more scattered by late afternoon. Fine elsewhere at first apart from mist and fog patches in some southern areas clearing. Showers and thunderstorms developing in the West during the day with chance of large hail tending to rain and slowly edging to Central areas in the evening locally heavy falls are possible mainly in the West. Humid day once again. Light winds and light to moderate seabreezes along the coast during the afternoon.

Sunday:
Showers mainly over Western, Northern and ranges tending to rain and slowly extending South with heavy falls likely in parts of the North, West and ranges areas. Isolated thundertsorms. Humid day. Winds tending Easterly throughout and freshening.

Monday:
Rain contracting to Southern and Eastern areas in the morning then clearing Scattered showers and Isolated thunderstorms to follow throughout. Strong gusty NNE winds shifting NW from the West later in the day.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Yeah its looking good for central NC areas next 6 hours,
That Deni blob of rain is nice easy 20mm band of rain, 21mm in Deni up to 14mm In Bendigo they to should get over 20mm with this

Enjoy guys wet few days for that part of the world

Mostly sunny now with lots of winter Cu about
Now Living in Wet QLD
Tornado
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Tornado »

25.3mm here since she started coming down this morning. :thumbsup:
He strolls up to the twister, and he says, *have a drink*. And he chucks the bottle into the twister, and it never hits the ground.
j
jmw2207
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by jmw2207 »

yep...leroy ..things are just a good here out at strathfieldsaye...25mm in gauge so far today...heavy rain periods in the last hour.....tanks filling nicely....

just wrapped to get a rainy day for a change.

Hope everyone else has some luck today and in the next few days
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Well we had about 15 minutes of rain here about 11:30... i bet you storms will fire up when i am at work 5:30-9 :censored: :censored: |:/
fortius quo fidelius
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

That eastern rainband nearly stretches the length of the east coast lol. From Bundaberg all the way down to gippsland!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Just doesn't want to stop raining here, another heavy shower!
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Rained all day nice gentle rain 17.5mm in gauge. Wonderful