Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
B
Birdie
New User
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by Birdie »

I was hoping there might be a like button or something for your post marakai because I agree with you. What is the harm with abit of chatter when there isn’t much weather going on.

BTW Where the heck has the rain gone?? I’m abit over that bloody hot shiney thing in the sky 😒
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Off-topic conversation is fine (there's been plenty of that I haven't touched), but what is not fine is the racial and derogatory comment made towards Asian ethnicity.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

"BTW Where the heck has the rain gone??"

It's in Sydney and the south coast, and not doing my trees any good in Chillagoe. Maybe I won't need anyone to mow this season after all...
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Where has the wet season gone indeed...!

We just spent a beautiful 2 days out at the reef....5-6 knots of wind maximum , beautiful sunset and just some light showers at dawn which made a sleep-in just divine with the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof..!

Nice visibility in the water and some awesome new coral gardens to explore....I just have to laugh at all the people that fall victim to the "GBR is dying Bullsh!t ....some of the areas of wall to wall healthy coral and amazing arrays of fish species we went to the past 2 days were badly damaged in both Cyclone Yasi and Larry...but have bounced back amazingly..some areas have no more room for any more coral..its quite amazing how resilient the reef is and how quickly it can spring back after cyclones/bleaching etc..

and what did I miss that was edited......were people discussing the diverse diets of the Chinese as a possible root cause of the corona virus or the heavyhanded approach of the Chinese Government regarding information on the real extent of the problem...…?

Hmmm...seems hard these days to hold a discussion without causing offence...
Last edited by scott12 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d
drivenunder09
New User
Reactions:

Post by drivenunder09 »

It is oppressive out there. My nylex weather station is reading heat index (feels like) temp of 44C with a DP of 26C. Yucky! I am in the aircon. Seems like all the rain has gone...did I hear of something possible coming from GoC?
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

100% Marakai ...
Hickory I would still be interested in what you had to say ! Censorship is uncalled for and a slippery slope for the eternally offended...

Don't really see much in the way of wet stuff for the next few days either :(

Been bloody hot but , So will it be an March / April wet ?
I see the MJO is back in our area , however weak at this stage , will it push out again?

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

FNQBunyip wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:19 am 100% Marakai ...
Hickory I would still be interested in what you had to say ! Censorship is uncalled for and a slippery slope for the eternally offended...
Bunyip,- I'd send you a PM, but I don't think it would be very private with Smethurst poking his nose in and reading it.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Yep, yep and yep. I only keep posting in all weathers and no weathers and all seasons to keep a forum flowing. Kinda like community service. As I recall Raindammit did such a good job in that delicate balance of moderating and contributing.

Am sure sick of this weather, 11pm and the rooms are still close to 90 degrees, yeah I know, old terms but have to excuse me, am living with an American. Next I'll be taking a tent out on to the lawns.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

February last year I recorded 735mm, it is hard to imagine a third of the way through this February, that I will get to even half that total.

At a touch over 50mm and looking at some of the models it seems it would require a late month low to even go close to half of last years total for the month.

Very hot and very sticky. Even the breeze today is no respite.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Just posted a heap of stuff and all deleted...
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Wow all of that is just gone Jake ?
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Is Jake even in the building? All forums have rivergirl as mod.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Dormant wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:14 am Is Jake even in the building? All forums have rivergirl as mod.
The deletions on/at 07 Feb 2020, 09:10 were under his handle.

A pimply faced kid on a power trip, methinks.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Heck I'd even take thunderstorms that make me rattle in my boots at this stage just to get some rain.
Sadly it looks like Cyclone Uesi as it gets closer in the south might affect us to the extend of dragging away all rain for quite some time.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Oh bugga :( have we got censorship issues here ?

Yes Dormant would love a storm or 2 , bloody hot out on the mower doing a few acres for a neighbor while they get away.
Not really my thing mowing all day , like to do my place around daylight or just before and its all over by 08:00 and I can
admire my work with a cold beer after my efforts.

Think you might be on the money with Uesi dragging all our weather away ,
A very long way out on the models shows a Gulf TC move East and South , but believing any of that is like going to church.. WOTAM

Marakai send me your email

Edit : Why I came here in the first place..
Looks like a good storm went over Kans ? Surely the beaches got something Hickory ? Or anyone south ? What was old mate from Gordonvale name ?

Cheers
W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

FNQBunyip wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Edit : Why I came here in the first place..
Looks like a good storm went over Kans ? Surely the beaches got something Hickory ? Or anyone south ? What was old mate from Gordonvale name ?

Cheers
Ronfishes
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Weary wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:46 pm
FNQBunyip wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm Edit : Why I came here in the first place..
Cheers
Ronfishes
Seems Ron only made one post back on:- "by Ronfishes - 07 Jul 2019, 14:58", - - and that's it,
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hickory wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 pm
Weary wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:46 pm
FNQBunyip wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28 pm Edit : Why I came here in the first place..
Cheers
Ronfishes
Seems Ron only made one post back on:- "by Ronfishes - 07 Jul 2019, 14:58", - - and that's it,
RF seems to be active on another forum I visit.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Bit of a warm one today...I have been finding excuses to stay inside I admit...might even have to get aircon one day or insulation at the very least...

I see Cairns hit 39.1c today......which may well be the highest Feb temp ever recorded... according to weatherzone the previous highest was 38.9c 51 years back in 1969....

and whats with this censorship BS...?...whatever happened to consenting adults being able to discuss stuff without the outraged moral crusaders telling us what we should think.... …..?...
d
drivenunder09
New User
Reactions:

Post by drivenunder09 »

Why did this forum die all of a sudden? If we lose this one where we people like me get weather insights from people way smarter than me?

Either way, downslope winds have been howling past two mornings in Cairns / smithfield with my pool covered in leaves. It has been feral outside, absolutely awful heat.

I am concerned, with Feb meant to be rainy I feel we may only have another few 'windows of opportunity' before the wet ends formally in a few months... what are the models saying about any potential rain in March? We always talk about a 'failed wet season' but my gosh it is not good with less than 500mm for halfway through Feb. (maybe I am too pessimistic? )

Either way, any info or insights on this would be more than welcome. :)