Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

A series of fronts: October 3-8

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: A series of fronts: October 3-8

Post by StratoBendigo »

Were looking at another 10mm or so before another potentially big system this time next week. GFS is excited, other forecast models aren't yet....

At least Saturday looks fine for here. I need to mow the lawn!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

StratoBendigo wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:12 am Yep, might be another 20mm in it for us, more in the catchment regions to our South which missed out in the last week.

Eppalock is still languishing on 54%. Coliban and Campaspe Rivers barely flowing.

I was in Echuca last week - the Murray is certainly carrying quite a bit of water downstream - a good flush.
That is very surprising, I crossed the headwaters of the Campaspe right up on the divide at Ashbourne yesterday and even there it waa flowing very well.
The Coliban at Trentham Falls was flowing nicely and the Little Coliban at Tylden Quarry was up high too. Quite odd that that isnt translating to good flows into Eppalock. I think the Upper Coliban storages are full aren't they?

Typical four seasons in one day here on Mt Macedon. We even managed a brief period of proper snow under that intense coldie around 3pm. Temp dipped dramatically around then.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

stevco123 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm 3rd time right in the firing line 😃😃😃

One of those days that James says never happens anymore haha.

3 storms with thunder in one day. Pretty good i reckon.

Could well end up with 50-80mm this week in the south-east looking at some of the progs.
bit of Humor never hurt anyone, unless they wern't in the firing line.. Im 6 stone throws from James.. he's not fibbing..
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

we sure got all the wind and not much else!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm 3rd time right in the firing line 😃😃😃

One of those days that James says never happens anymore haha.

3 storms with thunder in one day. Pretty good i reckon.

Could well end up with 50-80mm this week in the south-east looking at some of the progs.
Got one rumble here, about a minute of hail and nearly 2mm of rain. Frustrating watching those cells pass just south of the Nongs :( Funny sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Showers slowing easing now. Not quite the exciting follow up event I was hoping for at this point.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Looks like it'll be mostly dry here for the next week. Maybe something next week according to EC, but GFS now has nothing (except for Central Australia which has been very dry lately).
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

no thunder or hail for entire event here, very disappointing....luck has to change eventually!

Prob be like last year, nothing all season and then one thumping big storm overhead and lightning striking so close it knocked out the NBN for days! :D :x :P :|
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Wild and wooly day yesterday with showers, hail, thunder, gales, snow in the alps etc classic winters day just a bit warmer and stronger sun.

Cold windy one today easing tonight, nice tomorrow then next front tomorrow night with another band of rain for south and mount and just showers north of the ranges then cold, windy, showers Thursday then maybe few weak fronts on weekend some mild days in there too

Active period atm but pattern looks to change again maybe in about a week or so fun times love this time of year

5mm with yesterdays action
Bring on the heat and stroms
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

7 days straight of recordable rain here; now up to 46.5mm. Not breaking records but chugging along nicely :).
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Bit late getting up this morning and forgot to post :D

8mm in the gauge this morning. Nice day tomorrow ahead of a gusty showery change for Thursday. Pattern repeats for Friday and Saturday :D classic spring weather.

Mtd about 50mm so tracking ok. Had three below average months in a row here so happy to be getting this. Tis still very damp, largely due to the big falls earlier in winter.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

A long way out but ACCESS-G spinning up an impressive LOW on 14th/15th October
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

We had 9.5mm in showers and drizzle overnight Monday and yesterday.

Nice morning out there today.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas rain overnight: Henty Canal 45mm, Mt Barrow 33mm, Sheffield 29mm, Deloraine 23mm, Launceston 20mm, Hobart 2.2mm
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

A surprise 6mm here to 9am.

Of interest, this fall doesn't show very well on the Melbourne Radar 128km cumulative rainfall graphic. I've noticed this a few times; sometimes it gets it, sometimes not!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gordon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:44 am A surprise 6mm here to 9am.

Of interest, this fall doesn't show very well on the Melbourne Radar 128km cumulative rainfall graphic. I've noticed this a few times; sometimes it gets it, sometimes not!
9.2mm here. Bit more than I expected so no complains. Nice but chilly day ahead with sun poking through.

I'm guessing there was a pretty good topographic signal and the rain clouds were pretty shallow. The radar beam often misses a fair bit of rain under these circumstances (as it's passing through the clouds quite high up at your radius Gordon).
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Thanks hillbilly, makes sense.

A bit off topic, but how long until we start getting those 'live' southern Tassie reports :) (and no more from Ferny Creek :( ) ?
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

4.4mm here overnight. Cumulative rainfall on the radar is often a bit out for our area as well, maybe due to variations in topography. But it happens to be spot on for last night's rain.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

5mm here, almost at the October average and 635mm YTD which is above average. The gardens have really responded to the higher rainfall, my grevilleas and kangaroo paws are spectacular 😍
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Another 12.25mm in a good spell of overnight rain here, so the wet trend continues for us.

Mostly dry throughout the day here with a couple of light showers, havent checked what they've added up to yet. Much colder than yesterday.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

No rain at all here.

But our YTD has almost reached the annual average of 550mm. Looks like 15mm-ish next week.