Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Strong Cold Front & Low: 7th - 10th June

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Strong Cold Front & Low: 7th - 10th June

Post by StratoBendigo »

40 KT gusts, temp a toasty 13c, no rain.

Can't sleep.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Ferny Creek 69.2. Lucky your on a hill HB…
Down below only 32mm
must get WS here…
All’s well with power still on..
Although I did notice power surge at one point.
Think goodness for reclining chairs
120klm gust @ Hogan Island..
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Tas Rain last 24 hrs: St Patrick's Head 44mm, Gray 33mm, Fingal 14mm, Interlaken 11mm, Hobart 4mm, Launceston 0mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 am Ferny Creek 69.2. Lucky your on a hill HB…
Down below only 32mm
must get WS here…
All’s well with power still on..
Although I did notice power surge at one point.
Think goodness for reclining chairs
120klm gust @ Hogan Island..
Went out during the peak of it and the wind was so strong the rain was blowing up hill. Couldn’t work out why me south facing gauge was running an inch behind those nearby. So guess somewhat over 70mm here.

Terrible winds. Nearing a thousand call ins for help across the Dandenong. We lost an enormous tree at 11am. Gum at least 60m tall fell sideways parallel to the house and taken out all the pool fencing and smashed a few pavers :? About five years supply of fire wood. Hoping I can repair it all. One branch just nicked a gutter. If it had fallen 1 m to the left the house would have been destroyed. Big healthy gum about 30m from our house to the south which fell up hill. Southerly gales are so rare and unpredictable…. I tend to find they cause more damage than every other wind as they are so infrequent that trees are just not prepared.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I clocked gusts to 98k here overnight :o 65mm for event so far.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Shocking night, still howling, trees down everywhere and roads closed. No power since 10pm. 30mm overnight making 52mm for dates, although like HB, I'm sure the gauge has missed a lot of what has mostly been horizontal rain.
s
samboz
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by samboz »

67mm to date at home to 0730hrs(10/6). About 0800 a long thin pencil like band of rain belted Sale, extremely heavy rain
and visible on radar for 100km to the S/E, only approx 5km wide.
Sale indicated, front moved to W now.

Edit....rainfall at 0730hrs.
Last edited by samboz on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

QldTwister wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 pm Loving the winds but want more lol stronger think there be fair amount of damage in the morning re trees down and many rivers will be in flood tomorrow as well.
Sorry Twister, but anyone who loves wind like this needs their head read.

Very dangerous night throughout last night with trees down everywhere. Looks like we escaped unscathed out here in Burnside Heights although have no idea about the other place down on the island.

Rain coming down again here after a brief break this morning. Wind hasn't stopped though.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Just a bit of wind, cloudy, and no rain.

Very warm for a June morning - 14c which is ridiculous. I can never recall such warm temps at this time of year.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just awful wind last night. Sounds like a lucky escape HB, but still some repairs ahead.

We sprung a leak in the roof where a cable from our wireless internet enters the roof into a cupboard, which must have loosened the seal around it. No great issue, but quite a lot of water came through, so we were emptying the cupboard, which is full of equipment (modem, router, diskstation etc) and doing a clean up at midnight. Got a bucket under the drip for now until I can get on the roof to repair it.

Some other minor damage around the property this morning, but thankfully nothing significant. We mostly have deciduous trees, which had already dropped their leaves so thankfully are less vulnerable to high winds at this time of the year.

I have never experienced wind like this, and it's still going! I have recorded 68.6mm for the event, but I reckon it's an under-reading. I noticed during the evening that the readings weren't ticking up as they normally would in heavy rain, probably due to the rain running sideways some of the time!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I still can't figure out why they plant gum trees on nature strips. They look ugly in residential areas and are prone to dropping branches frequently in high winds
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

No power at our house in Ferny Creek. They say will be a couple of days

High power voltage lines across Tourist road. Blocked at bottom of hill to Belgrave Ferny Creek road which we took to get to Burwood highway then down to UFTG. Electricity on all the way down Burwood highway

Wow that’s a close call hillybilly. So glad the house is ok
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Gee HB that sounds like a close call
Main thing is that your family is ok
Huge rain shadow here but still managed to squeeze 21mm
Bit frustrating with the weather looking great on the radar only for it to vanish
Yes would be great if anyone could shed a light as to why when it comes from east it gets shredded as it approaches the bay
The bayside suburbs particularly east of the bay
Is it the Mornington Peninsula and the hills the blocks ? :roll: :roll:
s
samboz
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by samboz »

stevco123 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am I still can't figure out why they plant gum trees on nature strips. They look ugly in residential areas and are prone to dropping branches frequently in high winds
Thoroughly agree stevco, had that opinion for many years. Eucalypts are very prone to Sudden Limb Failure and generally get to big
for streets - lift footpaths with roots, fill spouts with leaves and denude nature strips and private property of grass.
Fatalities to motorists have happened in the past, hopefully no one hurt in this event.
Lovely native trees, but best in open spaces, unlike two or three blown over onto one of the local main access roads overnight blocking same.
Have no doubt that hundreds have been blown over by the south easterly/southerly wind.

eg- https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... np1taskbar
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

i live across a reserve with over 200 gumtrees and yet the council decides to plant them on the nature strip across the road (my nature strip). One fell over last night on the road.

Bit off topic, but still related with Sydney only hitting 10.3 degrees so far. If that sticks, it'll be their coldest June day in 122 years apparently. Quite remarkable considering the Urban Heat Island Effect today (or lack of in 1899)
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

Had some wild weather here, unfortunately so wild that my obs were effected since about 11 last night. pretty upset as would have been great data, power was off from 830 last night till 1230 then from 150am till 330 this afternoon.

Photos attached is how I discovered the weather station at 1245 this morning, was only able to stand it up at 4 today so no rain or accurate wind data. It is worth noting at 4am , the anemometer placed that close to the ground recorded a gust of 47km/hr, that's incredibly high given a few cm off the ground near a fence and garden. The tree damage around the town and district would suggest winds to at least 120km/hr off and on for about 10 hours.
The bushy area in the centre of the other photo is the top of the gum tree that came down in the neighbours yard. Drove around town (without camera, idiot) and large trees down around all over the place. SES and power trucks all around, wife couldn't drive to Melbourne today on the closest road to freeway as blocked by several enormous gums. She was directed through the forest road to south of town and it was single lane as littered with big branches and entire trees.
Cemetery at end of our street has several new spaces for trees available including a tree that must be 20 or 30 metres high, without weight of leaves , that was across the powerlines.

Epic weather event.

We do get extra strong SSE winds locally due to the gap next to the mountain, which creates very windy days, usually in summer , when the rest of the state is just "breezy' and yesterday, last night and today we had a severe synoptic set up to support it. Result was carnage.

Also I emptied 79.4mm out of the manual gauge at 2pm today, that was from 850am yesterday (we had 30mm in the day and a half prior to that). The 79.4 is far far far from 100%, when the inner tube of the gauge overflows to the outer tube the lid loosens, for a period this morning the lid was blown off and landed 3 or 4 metres away.

Anyway , town is mess. Can hear chainsaws everywhere but we have heating and power atm!

Still gutted about the lack of wind data :(
wind1.JPG
wind1.JPG (164.51 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
wind2.JPG
wind2.JPG (181.97 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Spent eight hours on the chainsaw. Just crazy damage up here. Lost five very large trees. One took out the pools fences and a few pavers. Missed the house by about about a metre, with one branch catching the gutter (photo below). Another took out the fence and landed on the neighbours shed and water tank. Across the road both our neighbours lost their garage (one had the roof blow off, the other a tree land on it), while a friend lost three cars. Terrible weather.

Another 2mm in the gauge so just over 100mm for the event.

G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Gordon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm Looking like a monster system on latest GFS and ACCESS too - might be a case of, 'be careful what we wish for'. :o A bit eerie how the models are aligning a week out.
Prophetic words if I do say so. I like a good storm, but this one was a real battle with nature - and likewise right through other parts of Vic by the looks.

Power just back thank goodness. 24 hours of savage wind is draining, particularly when dealing with most of it without power and wondering just how much the house and trees can withstand. Makes for a long night! We've been very lucky to only sustain minor damage; others have been smashed.

Great rain, nearing 60mm, but I've never been so pleased to see a big system exit stage right... at least for our area.

(PS: Bugger about the pool fence hillybilly... and about your wind records Mike :()
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Gordon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 pm
Gordon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm Looking like a monster system on latest GFS and ACCESS too - might be a case of, 'be careful what we wish for'. :o A bit eerie how the models are aligning a week out.
Great rain, nearing 60mm, but I've never been so pleased to see a big system exit stage right... at least for our area.
Couldn’t agree more Gordon. The rain has been great, but I’m glad to see the end of the wind. Right now, there’s barely a breeze - really enjoying how quiet it is outside. Those were indeed prophetic words!

HB, hope the clean up all goes ok. Looks like a big job.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Just emptied out 93mm, this is on top of the 17.75mm I emptied out this time yest, = 110.75mm here.

Three huge wind events I noted, 1.15am, 7.20am & 7.45am. Maffra was very lucky, power stayed on, my neighbour also lucky, picked up a new trampoline into their back yard last night (right side up). Spent time this arvo clearing felled trees/branches at Royal Maffra, that only got rid of the bigger stuff on 4 of the 18 holes.

Feel very sorry for those in Boisdale, currently experiencing a significant Avon R flood in the dark, as I type.

But wait, there's more!:

Wow, we in Gippsland will love another 25mm rain as this ECL sags back down towards Merimbula to give us a final lick later tomorrow :(